IGNORED

HQ Player

17 minutes ago, semente said:

Can I control HQPlayer Embedded over Ethernet from a Mac, or do I need to use the phone and Wi-Fi?

Yes, you can. Any web browser on the network will work. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

Yes, you can. Any web browser on the network will work. 

Thanks.

Does Embedded require a different license or can I use my Desktop license?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

23 hours ago, Matty70 said:

With all OS versions the behavior is the same: Version 4.13.0 works, version 4.14.0 does not even start.

I know have learned, that a requirement for HQPlayer is AVX2, which is not supported on my audio computer, which is pretty old (i7 3rd generation). I checked it with HWInfo. AVX is supported, AVX2 not.

My question: Is AVX2 a new requirement or have I just been lucky that it worked before?

Then the problem is that your CPU lacks support for AVX2. Yes, it is a new requirement starting from 4.14.

AVX2 was introduced on Haswell architecture, in 2013.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 hours ago, jdubs said:

You wouldn't need your phono stage in the above, assuming the ADI2 PRO provides enough gain.

ADI-2 Pro is a line level device, so it doesn't have suitable gain. IOW, it doesn't have any gain stage. Another thing is suitable input impedance and capacitance for correct cartridge loading.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:01 AM, luisma said:

Jussi I'm a little lost. Could this be done?

TT -> Phono Stage --> RME ADI2 PRO Analog --> HQPlayer PC (RIAA) -> RME ADI2 -> Pre - Amp - Speakers ?

Yes, as long as the two ADI-2's are separate devices. At least on Linux, thanks to ADI-2 having unique USB ID's for each unit to support connecting multiple units simultaneously. If you want to perfect this, synchronize clocks between the two devices. Downside of the sync is that you lose one set of digital I/O.

My experience with ASDM7ECv2 is as follows:

My M1 Mac Mini stutters with DSD256, ASDM7ECv2, poly-sinc-ext2 or poly-sinc-ext3.

Same issue when I keep the rest constant and move to DSD128 and / or ASDM5ECv2

Otherwise, I’ve never had issues playing DSD256, ASDM7EC, poly-sinc-ext2 on my machine.

Is it some cognitive bias or does ASDM7ECv2 sound better than ASDM7EC?

Also: would like to hear opinions of those who tried the new MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip.

1 minute ago, Reg19 said:

My experience with ASDM7ECv2 is as follows:

My M1 Mac Mini stutters with DSD256, ASDM7ECv2, poly-sinc-ext2 or poly-sinc-ext3.

Same issue when I keep the rest constant and move to DSD128 and / or ASDM5ECv2

Otherwise, I’ve never had issues playing DSD256, ASDM7EC, poly-sinc-ext2 on my machine.

Is it some cognitive bias or does ASDM7ECv2 sound better than ASDM7EC?

Also: would like to hear opinions of those who tried the new MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip.

I had hoped that Mac version of HQP (being Linux based?) would perform better than the Windows version. 

I continue to have great success playing everything with the Linux based HQP OS up to and including 24-192 PCM => DSD256 x 48, ASDM7ECv2, poly-sinc-ext3. If anything, the load on the server almost seems lighter than with previous versions of HQP.

And yes, I definitely prefer ASDM7ECv2 over ASDM7EC.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

13 hours ago, Reg19 said:

Yes, hoping this will be a breakthrough to full HQP capabilty - & that it migrates on to the macmini.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

4 hours ago, Yviena said:

Hey  @Miska is there supposed to be 20x increase in cpu usage when going from 44.1khz to 768khz with EXT-3 compared to EXT-2?

EXT-2 44.1 to 768khz is 1.3% usage while 44.1 to 768khz EXT-3 is 20% usage.

It should be about 4x difference, but these things don't scale linearly due to cache sizes. Likely for integer ratios the difference is smaller, or if you have really fast RAM (I'd expect DDR5 to make difference in these kind of cases).

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think @Miska has stock in Intel, AMD, and other computer hardware manufacturers 🤣

Or, hardware manufacturers call him to beef up the filters so they can sell some new products 🤣

I did spend roughly 4 times more on the new 3200mhz Apacer RAM versus the cheaper 2666mhz Apacer ram just for HQPlayer... So add that to the list too.

We'll get Miskas Index listed alongside the S&P500 and the NASDAQ

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

It should be about 4x difference, but these things don't scale linearly due to cache sizes. Likely for integer ratios the difference is smaller, or if you have really fast RAM (I'd expect DDR5 to make difference in these kind of cases).

Yeah it's only when it's  trying to do 44.1 to 48khz rate family that the close to 20x higher load presents itself 

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think @Miska has stock in Intel, AMD, and other computer hardware manufacturers 🤣

Or, hardware manufacturers call him to beef up the filters so they can sell some new products 🤣

Would actually be nice if there would some kind of recommendation or outline for a spec vs common usage. 

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

It's what the "best CPU for HQPlayer" thread is all about, isn't it?

Thanks, but not exactly what I meant. 
this thread seems to be all about the “best” cpu for the most extreme usage of HQP. 
not everyone is going all the way to DSD 512

would be nice to have also full configuration recommendation (cpu, mem, gpu) for a few more common usages. 
I for one am using pcm to 768 poly gauss long. But when trying xla or ext3 the cpu chokes up. Would be nice to know what would be recommended for stepping up to xla or ext3. I believe the new intel i9 is not needed - so the “best” cpu thread is not really helpful for that. 

Miska already suggested some setups in the past, but there are so many HW configurations that he cannot cover everything. It's rather on us to share experiences.

For example I am sure Miska did not test my configuration (see my signature), which is so-so but still able of DSD256 ASDM7ECv2 poly-sinc-ext2 or poly-sinc-gauss-long. It gives pretty nice sound on 3.3Ghz 4 physical core Intel CPU (without CUDA offload and only with light convolution - crossfeed and eventually tilt IIR filter). That's with the -3 version. With -2 version I was able to run poly-sinc-gauss-xl, but only for 44.1k/48k -> DSD128. Nice sound too.

IMO for example something like this mini PC for 540 EUR (more powerful than my notebook) should be enough for DSD256 with ECv2 modulators if you don't plan to use some heavy convolution or play multichannel recordings.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500