IGNORED

HQ Player

8 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I just discovered on my (very old by now) exasound e28 multi-channel DAC, I can get 705.6/768 output by selecting 2 channels with the "Dual wire" option checked.

Does the DAC actually support it? What does the display say?

12 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Multi-channel capable dacs are still relatively rare. This is a great feature though, which I guess should be supported by all multi-channel DACs.

It is mostly useful for getting double rates out of dual S/PDIF or AES/EBU connections, or two I2S buses. It is pretty standard way, where you operate one typically stereo channel in "mono mode".

For USB as such it is not needed, as you can usually get the same rates without resorting to such.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I have been unable to populate the HQP settings to my requirements -The settings revert to default and export PCM to my DAC.

So I am unable to experiment with the DSD setting, which I would like to activate '

I am running the HQP trial desktop edition.

My rig is  swift laptop -20Gb Ram - windows server 2019 essentials -ROON -A03 -fidelizer Pro -SMSL M500 DAC- Elac Navis ARB51 active speakers. 

The user manual does not really help so any help would be most welcome.

Thank You

10 minutes ago, oldfirm said:

I have been unable to populate the HQP settings to my requirements -The settings revert to default and export PCM to my DAC.

So I am unable to experiment with the DSD setting, which I would like to activate '

My rig is  swift laptop -20Gb Ram - windows server 2019 essentials -A03 -fidelizer Pro -SMSL M500 DAC- Elac Navis ARB51 active speakers. 

Thank You

Any chance you can post a picture of your Settings panel?

18 minutes ago, oldfirm said:

My rig is  swift laptop -20Gb Ram - windows server 2019 essentials -ROON -A03 -fidelizer Pro -SMSL M500 DAC- Elac Navis ARB51 active speakers. 

Thank You

Did you check DOP?

31 minutes ago, oldfirm said:

Did you install SMSL ASIO driver? https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SMSLUSBAudioDriverV512.rar

M500 should support DSD up to DSD512 natively, so DoP setting is not needed.

As mentioned by ericuco, picture of Settings dialog could indicate your issue.

38 minutes ago, oldfirm said:

OK, but where appears HQPlayer within this? To check HQPlayer DSD output alone, you don't need Roon. Here you can download some DSD128 test files: http://www.2l.no/hires/

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

My rig is  swift laptop -20Gb Ram - windows server 2019 essentials -A03 -fidelizer Pro -SMSL M500 DAC- Elac Navis ARB51 active speakers. 

Thank You

27 minutes ago, bogi said:

Did you install SMSL ASIO driver? https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SMSLUSBAudioDriverV512.rar

M500 should support DSD up to DSD512 natively, so DoP setting is not needed.

As mentioned by ericuco, picture of Settings dialog could indicate your issue.

OK, but where appears HQPlayer within this? To check HQPlayer DSD output alone, you don't need Roon. Here you can download some DSD128 test files: http://www.2l.no/hires/

Yes I have the ASIO driver installed.

My source files are streamed from Tidal and Qobuz only -Currently played via ROON PCM to DSD option

HQPlayer resides on my desktop

In Output Device Settings, select ASIO as backend and choose your M500 device. Try with SDM pack set to none.
For first test, uncheck 48k DSD. I'm not sure if your DAC support that. You can test that later.

You can set default output mode SDM (DSD). In SDM Defaults, for first test set DSD bitrate to 41k x 128 and set some lighter modulator, for example DSD5. To start with, set also the Nx filter to poly-sinc-lp-2s (this one allows any combination of source and destination bitrates).

I recommend you to do the first test with playing a local file without Roon. That way you can easier isolate problems - if they are HQPlayer related or Roon related. Don't check any of the bottom checkboxes for the first test.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
57 minutes ago, bogi said:

In Output Device Settings, select ASIO as backend and choose your M500 device. Try with SDM pack set to none.
For first test, uncheck 48k DSD. I'm not sure if your DAC support that. You can test that later.

You can set default output mode SDM (DSD). In SDM Defaults, for first test set DSD bitrate to 41k x 128 and set some lighter modulator, for example DSD5. To start with, set also the Nx filter to poly-sinc-lp-2s (this one allows any combination of source and destination bitrates).

I recommend you to do the first test with playing a local file without Roon. That way you can easier isolate problems - if they are HQPlayer related or Roon related. Don't check any of the bottom checkboxes for the first test.

I quit ROON first, then used the above settings . DSD file plays , but as PCM-  M500 does not display DSD mode and task manager reports cpu usage as only 3%

Output device Setting reverts back to wasapi

Could you post a picture of Settings showing that you have set ASIO driver of your DAC?
Could you open ASIO Control Panel application, which is installed together with the driver? It should show your DAC as connected. That's important point. Something like this (for my Topping E50 DAC):

image.png.0527e3cbb26f1211c3737852bf900f0d.png
One reason of not playing DSD could be that you are using Windows provided UAC2 driver instead of the ASIO one. The Microsoft UAC2 driver does not know native DSD, so then the behavior would be as you described.
Sometimes it happens that you have installed ASIO driver, but Windows OS still uses the Microsoft driver.

P.S. The easiest way how to post an image is to copy it to clipboard and then simply to paste it to location of text cursor in your forum post using <Shift><Insert> or <Ctlv>-V hotkey.

1 hour ago, oldfirm said:

Output device Setting reverts back to wasapi

That's just the indication you have some driver installation issue. Maybe you need to reboot your Win Server after driver installation. Also maybe you had previously installed some other XMOS ASIO driver - it may cause issues if the other one was not uninstalled.

Hi

7.30 am here in Thailand -just got up.

Image preview

ROON is off and the ASIO driver disabled.

Something I have considered if drivers are the issue- When setting up AO3 a significant number of drivers are disabled within the software. Maybe this is the issue ?

I would like to thank you for all the support and effort you have given me -I really am most grateful

After testing more DACs I already faced with situation that I could not make my DAC working. Cleanup of all installed XMOS drivers helped. As a first step the drivers can be uninstalled in a standard way. After that, free USBDeview from NirSoft https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html to uninstall USB audio drivers which still remained installed.

image.png.7a67f7eb011d59ebcd8622f245e091f4.png

Use Device Name and Description columns to find and USB audio drivers. Select them all and perform 3 operations on them: Disconnect, Disable and Uninstall (use right click context menu on the selection). After that, better to reboot the computer and check again with USBDeview.

After that, install your M500 driver again. Take attention for any possible message from the installer. If asked by the installer, restart your computer. Then turn on your DAC and start the driver ASIO Control Panel to be sure the ASIO drive was loaded and device connected. Finally, try DSD playback without Roon.

3 hours ago, Hensema said:

Holo Audio ASIO seems not to be in exclusive mode when selected in HQplayer. Windows sounds and other programs seem to mix with the output from hqplayer. Also the volume setting from the windows sound system works. How to set the Holo Spring 3 usb to exclusive mode?

It is up to the driver to do such things. ASIO driver by definition should be always exclusive, but if driver developer decides otherwise, applications cannot do much about it.

I think the Thesycon driver in question is in exclusive mode only when running in DSD mode. Not a problem for me, since I use Holo Audio DACs only in DSD mode.

But generally, on any OS, make sure the DAC is not selected as default audio output device for the OS. Also make sure it is not configured as audio output for any other running application (such as Roon).

Another way to gain exclusive access to Holo Audio DACs is to use a NAA. For example iFi ZEN Stream and turn the switch on it's back to NAA exclusive mode.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

Output 705.6/768k rate, you can use either one as constant rate as Chord will run conversion at constant rate anyway

Can you further explain this?

Do you mean there is no need to use the "auto rate family" or "adaptive output rate" option?

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you use USB interface, leave default output word length. If you use dual-S/PDIF like SRC-DX, set output word length to 24 bits. Output 705.6/768k rate, you can use either one as constant rate as Chord will run conversion at constant rate anyway. Use either TPDF or Gauss1 dither, or LNS15 noise-shaper.

Filter up to your choice, but poly-sinc-ext2, poly-sinc-gauss-long and poly-sinc-short-mp are a good starting point depending on source content.

I don't know why would you want to get close to MScaler, but sinc-L is maybe most similar. But note that it is non-apodizing, so you won't have source content errors corrected which is especially important for 1x sources.

Thank you very much that helps a lot :D

Can you may tell me the benefit of Sinc-Mx compared to Sinc-M? Is Sinc-Mx technically superior than Sinc-M?

4 minutes ago, GMG said:

Can you further explain this?

Do you mean there is no need to use the "auto rate family" or "adaptive output rate" option?

You can have lower CPU load if you switch, but from DAC's perspective it is not very meaningful. OTOH, you save some time when transitioning between families, because the DAC doesn't need to be stopped and restarted when you use fixed output rate.

@Miska Quick question about "Output Device Settings"

If you have multiple NAA's they show up under "Device" in the above settings. If I want to change, select a different device without logging in remotely to the Mac mini M1 that runs HQPlayer is it possible at all to change/select device with the HQPDcontrolv4 app?

I've been able to use this to change most things I need, inc changing pipeline profiles for my headphones but couldn't see / find an option to select devices. I have a feeling it isn't but just wanted to check. If not, I may have to setup some sort of VNC access for my iPhone. Thanks

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You can have lower CPU load if you switch, but from DAC's perspective it is not very meaningful. OTOH, you save some time when transitioning between families, because the DAC doesn't need to be stopped and restarted when you use fixed output rate.

I thought the reason to use adaptive rates is to maintain integer multiplies of the upsampling rates, and not to optimize the cpu usage.
I thought that it is better to upsample 44.1 to 705.6 because it is exactly x16. And that upsampling to 768 which is x17.4 is not only higher stress on the cpu but more importantly not optimized for the samples interpolation. 

what am I missing here?

Are you saying that if cpu is not an issue it is better to use fixed 768?