IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, oldfirm said:

I ran the USBDeview and ASIO driver not listed? Only Xmos for the SMSL M500.

I can play files from HQP playlist , imported DSD files  , but DSD is not displayed on the M500 screen.

USBDeView does not show so easily if the currently loaded driver is XMOS ASIO one.
Better way to be sure is to run the ASIO driver Control Panel - you can see if your DAC is connected through it. The ASIO Control Panel is installed together with driver files somewhere in Program Files and may be accessible from Start Menu too. If that Control Panel shows DAC connected, then you are using the installed XMOS drivers and not the Microsoft UAC2 driver (which does not support native DSD).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I have question to @Miska
Can be a tilt filter, like copy_of_a showed few posts above, set by means of parametric eq, or it is still needed to load a WAV IR file? I am not quite familiar with parametric eq. We discussed tilt filter thing one year ago, but that time parametric eq was not yet implemented in HQPlayer.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60457-tilt-control/

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
1 hour ago, bogi said:

Can be a tilt filter, like copy_of_a showed few posts above, set by means of parametric eq, or it is still needed to load a WAV IR file?

Yes, you can do it with HQPs built in parametric EQ plugin.

What you need for a linear tilt is a cascade of 1st order shelf filters with the same gain applied (see attachment).

Cascade in this case means: curve points that double the respective preceding frequency.

In the particular case of my attachment:

30Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)

60Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)

120Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)

240Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)

...and so on.

You can do this in REW and therefore also in HQP - either by applying the same settings or by exporting a text file and import it into HQP.

I just haven't had the time to dive into REW to create such tilt filters therefore I still use wav files.

tilt_cascaded.thumb.jpg.8bdb9b8cba4dbe06f8e18bc05f8964c3.jpg

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

@Miska 

A question, please. 😉
I have made command line shortcuts that I send to HQP Desktop on my server from my laptop and a little freeware that I like that serves as a mini-shell.

No problem to manage the volume, mute or check the level (status).
I'm not sure how to change the configuration settings (ex. with or without convolution) where the configuration file is located ?
In the hqp-control2.exe folder on the control pc or on the server and in which folder.

c:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop>hqp-control2.exe ROON_HDP --configuration-load <file where?? with extension *.xml??>

image.png

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

12 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

I'm not sure how to change the configuration settings (ex. with or without convolution) where the configuration file is located ?

Miska explained about 2 weeks ago in this thread that hqp-control2 is not able to load configuration file in v4. It was possible in v3.
But you can still switch matrix pipeline presets and for example upsampling filters and PCM/DSD playback mode. I didn't find how to switch modulators though.

For convolution, AFAIK you cannot quickly switch room equalization, which is set in 'Matrix -> Convolution setup' menu. But I also cannot find scenario where it would be useful, since you don't change listening room while your DAC is still connected. And with every change of output device you can load different xml configuration file. I don't know if it can be done remotely (maybe HQPlayer4Desktop.exe accepts settings xml file as parameter, so maybe you find a way to restart it remotely).

For 'Matrix -> Pipeline setup' menu you can create presets and save presets for every useful setup you created. Then you can switch between presets (for example parametric eq like above mentioned tilt filter, 5.1 to stereo, loudness, headphone crossfeed etc.). Then you can use name of the preset.

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --matrix-list
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1050
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1022
Panagement2-volume0.8

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-matrix 0

For filters and PCM/DSD mode, hqp-control2 allows to select an item according to index in list of items, which you can obtain by running the corresponding --get-<something> command. For example

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --get-modes
[0] "[source]" -1
[1] "PCM" 0
[2] "SDM (DSD)" 1

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-mode 2

C:\Users\bogi>

Hi,

I have noticed that if I have music playing via NAA to Holo May DAC and change the input on the DAC, mistakenly or not, then NAA seems unable to auto-reconnect once I change back to USB input and NAA needs to be restarted. This is worsened in my case by the fact that I am running NAA via HQPlayer OS (on a fitlet2 in order to get 1536) and the only recourse I have is to get and physically reboot the fitlet. Some searching suggests that this problem occurs with any DAC that 'closes' the USB input if it's not actively selected. Some questions for @Miska:

1. can't NAA be made more robust to deal with this situation and reconnect when a user tries to forcefully restart music upstream?

2. Does the same thing happen with HQP Desktop or Embedded directly connected to DAC (without NAA)?

3. is it possible to install SSH onto HQPlayer OS so that I could simply restart NAA instead of having to get up and physically restart the device it's on?

I want to be able to use multiple inputs on the Holo May DAC but as it stands I have to be extremely careful to ensure that a stream is not playing via NAA before changing inputs. And of course, it's easy to press the wrong button on the remote control and unintentionally change input. I realize that it will minimally have to stop the stream via NAA but it's frustrating that HQPlayer OS/NAA doesn't act like a true 'appliance' and that there is no recourse to recover from this.

9 minutes ago, bogi said:

Miska explained about 2 weeks ago in this thread that hqp-control2 is not able to load configuration file in v4. It was possible in v3.
But you can still switch matrix pipeline presets and for example upsampling filters and PCM/DSD playback mode. I didn't find how to switch modulators though.

For convolution, AFAIK you cannot quickly switch room equalization, which is set in 'Matrix -> Convolution setup' menu. But I also cannot find scenario where it would be useful, since you don't change listening room while your DAC is still connected. And with every change of output device you can load different xml configuration file. I don't know if it can be done remotely (maybe HQPlayer4Desktop.exe accepts settings xml file as parameter, so maybe you find a way to restart it remotely).

For 'Matrix -> Pipeline setup' menu you can create presets and save presets for every useful setup you created. Then you can switch between presets (for example parametric eq like above mentioned tilt filter, 5.1 to stereo, loudness, headphone crossfeed etc.). Then you can use name of the preset.

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --matrix-list
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1050
Listen_project_HRTF_stereo_to_binaural-1022
Panagement2-volume0.8

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-matrix 0

For filters and PCM/DSD mode, hqp-control2 allows to select an item according to index in list of items, which you can obtain by running the corresponding --get-<something> command. For example

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --get-modes
[0] "[source]" -1
[1] "PCM" 0
[2] "SDM (DSD)" 1

C:\Users\bogi>"C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer 4 Desktop\hqp-control2.exe" localhost --set-mode 2

C:\Users\bogi>

Thanks Bogi, I had missed the info for V4.
I use the HQP Client (with gui) or directly HQP Desktop via TightVNC.
But when I switch to "server light" mode (TighVNC off and services minimal, less than 26), I just need to adjust the volume.
While testing the scripts, I couldn't understand why I couldn't switch between the (already saved) configurations.
Nothing too serious

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

10 hours ago, Gilberto said:

My dac is a LKS 004 with the chip saber es9038pro, which is also shiny and I don't know if it has been a good choice because it seems that I have added fuel to the fire ...🥺

Sabre certainly tends to be very bright and edgy sounding.

You could try poly-sinc-short-mp-2s filter and ASDM5 modulator for your DAC. DSD512 is certainly fine though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

Yes, you can do it with HQPs built in parametric EQ plugin.

What you need for a linear tilt is a cascade of 1st order shelf filters with the same gain applied (see attachment).

Cascade in this case means: curve points that double the respective preceding frequency.

...and so on.

You can do this in REW and therefore also in HQP - either by applying the same settings or by exporting a text file and import it into HQP.

I just haven't had the time to dive into REW to create such tilt filters therefore I still use wav files.

tilt_cascaded.thumb.jpg.8bdb9b8cba4dbe06f8e18bc05f8964c3.jpg

You can get desired result also with single high shelf with very slow slope parameter and suitable number of dB. Corner placed in the middle of the band.

Also low-Q lowpass could work with corner placed at 20 Hz or so.

3 hours ago, camott said:

1. can't NAA be made more robust to deal with this situation and reconnect when a user tries to forcefully restart music upstream?

It is as robust as it can be.

3 hours ago, camott said:

I want to be able to use multiple inputs on the Holo May DAC but as it stands I have to be extremely careful to ensure that a stream is not playing via NAA before changing inputs.

"Correct" solution would be to use multiple inputs to HQPlayer and always keep Holo May selected to USB input... ;)

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can get desired result also with single high shelf with very slow slope parameter and suitable number of dB. Corner placed in the middle of the band.

Also low-Q lowpass could work with corner placed at 20 Hz or so.

Thanks, Miska!

As said above I m not (yet) familar with REW and/or the paramaters in your EQ plugin.

The widest bandwidth in an EQ I know of is 3db/octave.

Attached a screengrab of a linear tilt (yellow) vs. a 3db/oct HiShelf with negative gain, (cyan).

As you can see the Shelf is not as linear. Which might be just what one prefers, of course!

But ... what would be the bandwidth setting for a 3db/oct shelf in your EQ plugin?

1021154645_titvsshelf.thumb.jpg.c22522cbb87b12781389ebbb812190d3.jpg

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

6 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

...and so on.

Thanks for this example. Could you please explain me that more and also 'translate' it to way how to add such an example into HQPlayer matrix pipeline?

The first thing which looks as confusing for me is 6dB/octave, when the actual attenuation is -0.3dB/octave, for example between 30 and 60Hz (I assume the left Y axis is in dB).

The second thing what confuses me is that HQPlayer expects high shelf filter data in other form:

hshelf High-shelf filter f=frequency
s=slope
g=gain

Where f is in Hz, s is factor (1 maximum steepness) and g is in dB.
I don't know the relation between slope 6dB/oct and factor s with maximum value 1.
Could you please show me what's the correct way to enter the example from your picture to HQPlayer?

The third thing is that HQPlayer supports showing IR graph, but for tilt filter we need about 10 filters per channel, I would like to see the overall matrix pipeline graph for a given audio channel like in the picture you posted. I downloaded Crave EQ VST plugin in hope I could see the overall graph, but the 32bit version caused crash of 32bit foobar2000. Audacity crashed too, so I didn't try more VST hosts. Could somebody suggest me a tool, online or offline (Windows) to visualize param eq settings like Crave EQ 2 does?

57 minutes ago, Miska said:

Miska, could you please provide an example for HQPlayer single high shelf corresponding to the above picture from copy_of_a ?

42 minutes ago, bogi said:

The first thing which looks as confusing for me is 6dB/octave, when the actual attenuation is -0.3dB/octave, for example between 30 and 60Hz (I assume the left Y axis is in dB).

6db/ocatve is the default filter bandwidth - which is a 1st order filter.

Based on the default bandwidth (typically 12db/octave in most parametric EQs) you can widen or narrow the bandwidth of the filter (the setting to adjust the bandwidth is called „Q“… in HQP it‘s called „s“, however).

[quote]I don't know the relation between slope 6dB/oct and factor s with maximum value 1.[/quote]
That‘s exactly my problem, too!

I assume the default filter design in HQP (REW) is 12db/octave. To get 6db/octave „Q“ (or „s“) could be 0.5 or 0.64 or 0.71. It depends on the way the filter and the EQ plugin is designed. Since I am not familar with REW I can‘t tell … really sorry!

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

6db/ocatve is the default filter bandwidth - which is a 1st order filter.

Based on the default bandwidth (typically 12db/octave in most parametric EQs) you can widen or narrow the bandwidth of the filter (the setting to adjust the bandwidth is called „Q“… in HQP it‘s called „s“, however).

[quote]I don't know the relation between slope 6dB/oct and factor s with maximum value 1.[/quote]
That‘s exactly my problem, too!

There are two, Q is the traditional Q, and S is slope factor. Where S = 1 means 12 dB/oct, 0.5 means 6 dB/oct and so on, kind of inverse multiplier for number of octaves.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, Miska said:

Not really, since HQPlayer is not using any particular interface. But instead relies OS to correctly route packets.

Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem having Roon connect to HQPlayer.  I'm getting a "Playback failed because Roon couldn't connect to HQPlayer."  HQPlayer is running on Windows 10 and because I have hyper-V enabled, there are two NIC's.  The hardware NIC and a virtual switch.  I have tried setting HQPlayer in Roon as localhost and by IP and Roon cannot see HQPlayer.

Any ideas on how to fix?  On this PC, I cannot disable any of the NIC's.

I've also tried disabling the firewall and that does not solve the issue.

Thank you!

Implementation of HQPlayer remains elusive for me.

Serious question has to be asked - A PC rig with a Ryzen Threadripper 3990X cpu - Would this set up cope with the most extreme HQP settings without faltering? and is 64 cores a help or a hinderance in running HQP?

AND would the cost be justified or  should explore the purchase of very high end DAC ?

20211030_203951.jpg

Thank you copy_of_a and Miska for your explanations! I am sorry I am still missing something. I found quite easily readable documentation about parametric eq:
https://mynewmicrophone.com/audio-shelving-eq-what-are-low-shelf-high-shelf-filters/
https://mynewmicrophone.com/the-complete-guide-to-parametric-equalization-eq/#Slope

They refer to two cut-off frequencies like on the below picture.

mnm_EQ_Band-Pass_Filter_Cutoff_Frequenci

But both ways how you define the filter don't mention the upper cut-off frequency fH on the picture.

copy_of__a: 30Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)
Miska: iir:type=hshelf;f=50;s=0.1;g=-2

It seems you refer the fL one. How is fH and thus the transition band witdh counted based on the remaining 2 filter parameters?
In the example copy_of_a provided every filter transition band width seems to be one octave and therefore he needed to stack about 10 filters to continuously cover the whole audio band. Miska stacks 3 filters. I did not find how is the the transition band width between cut-off frequencies counted.
Does slope have an effect to transition band width (between fL and fH)? I think not, I think slope affects only the overall filter bandwith - the ares before fL and afetr fH. It seems to me that only gain/attenuation affects the transition band width. What's the formula please?
In the '30Hz (HiShelf, 6db/oct, -0.3db)' case -0.3 dB attenuation is reached in transition band of 1 octave (for example between 30 and 60 Hz). 60Hz / 30 HZ = 2. How is the value of 2 (1 octave) counted from the attenuation -0.3 dB?
In the 'iir:type=hshelf;f=50;s=0.1;g=-2' case -2 dB attenuation is reached in wider audio band. The next filter in the stack seems to be have fL=500 Hz. 500/50 = 10. How is the value of 10 counted from the attenuation -2 dB?

7 hours ago, oldfirm said:

20211030_203951.jpg

It seems you did not succeed to install the SMSL XMOS driver. Driver installation is not a HQPlayer specific topic.
I asked you to one week ago and also yesterday to look into the SMSL driver Control Panel if you see your DAC connected. You did not react to this. There is no consistency between my attempts to help you and your posts. This way I'm not sure if you will succeed.

The above picture shows that your DAC is connected. So it shouldl be able to play PCM or DSD content out of any software player.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:48 AM, oldfirm said:

When setting up AO3 a significant number of drivers are disabled within the software. Maybe this is the issue ?

It seems to me you combined too many things at once. If you would install HQPlayer and SMSL driver first and test, I'm sure it would play. I cannot tell you anything about AO because I'm not using it. In the case you would lost DSD output after AO optimization, then the best place to ask is some AO forum where the AO author answers. If you would lost HQPlayer DSD output after Roon installation and setup, then Roon forum would be the best place to ask. It seems to me you tried everything HQPlayer related and the reason of your troubles lies out of driver (Control Panel shows it connected to DAC)  and HQPLayer (you confirmed one week ago you tried the first time settings I recommended). I would try to setup your PC from beginning on clean OS once again, start with driver, check it in driver Control Panel and with any app producing sound output (youtube ...), then install HQPlayer, try DSD setup. Then make backup of your PC so you could easily return to this point without the need to reinstall everything from scratch. There are many OS disk backup/restore solutions - they are able to make image of your system on background while you can continue to use your computer. An examples of suitable tools, which work for free, are unregistered DiskGenius, Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 Free Edition, Macrium Free 6.