IGNORED

Lampizator questions

I am mid-trigger with a Lampitazor DSD DAC, Fred is working out the details with me. My plan is HQPayer > SOtM SMS 100 via Cat 5 > Lamp DSD DAC via USB. Has anyone used the SOtM as an HQPlayer NAA to drive DSD into a Lamp DAC? In theory this should work but one never knows until one tries - or until a brave buddy on CA who's already tried describes his/her experiences.

thanks - Jay

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I am mid-trigger with a Lampitazor DSD DAC, Fred is working out the details with me. My plan is HQPayer > SOtM SMS 100 via Cat 5 > Lamp DSD DAC via USB. Has anyone used the SOtM as an HQPlayer NAA to drive DSD into a Lamp DAC? In theory this should work but one never knows until one tries - or until a brave buddy on CA who's already tried describes his/her experiences.

thanks - Jay

NO REASON WHY IT SHOULD NOT WORK. I THINK THAT COMBO WILL SOUND FABULOUS.

tempted to try it myself.

Yes I read the same, and this appears to be a unique/rare offering for US buyers interested in the Amber.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

thanks - Jay

I plan to do a similar setup in near future but using a different NAA … As far as I know you shouldn't encounter issues due to the fact Lampi board comes from Amanero that's natively supported by Linux/OSX distro and I expect SOtM NAA can do it smoothly …

At the contrary I decided to fight with a very minimal Atmel based board, Acqua A5, it's really minimal so I expect outstanding results when powered by a Belleson PS, the only issue is that kernel doesn't have any clue of USB UAC … so I'm struggling to have the boards recognize a dac.

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

I plan to do a similar setup in near future but using a different NAA … As far as I know you shouldn't encounter issues due to the fact Lampi board comes from Amanero that's natively supported by Linux/OSX distro and I expect SOtM NAA can do it smoothly …

At the contrary I decided to fight with a very minimal Atmel based board, Acqua A5, it's really minimal so I expect outstanding results when powered by a Belleson PS, the only issue is that kernel doesn't have any clue of USB UAC … so I'm struggling to have the boards recognize a dac.

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

Wow - you must be very talented or very stubborn :) (My wife puts me in the stubborn camp)

Acqua A5[/url], it's really minimal so I expect outstanding results when powered by a Belleson PS, the only issue is that kernel doesn't have any clue of USB UAC … so I'm struggling to have the boards recognize a dac.

Compiling custom kernel for these is not hard, given that you are already otherwise well familiar with Linux.

Aria-G25/Terra works fine for me, but I still want to add support for the nice LCD to show output format information and such.

Oh, all the things I could do if there would be more than 24 hours in a day... :)

Next step is certainly Acqua, but I'll design a custom main board to host it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Oh, all the things I could do if there would be more than 24 hours in a day... :)

Next step is certainly Acqua, but I'll design a custom main board to host it.

Keep me informed about the board … in the meantime I will try to make Acqua working before I get the new DAC.

Cheers. Have a nice day. Massimiliano

• 5 weeks later...

thanks - Jay

i have the sms 100 did not work with the lampi

tried it on my cambridge audio stream magic 6 and worked fine. Have not had time to look into why but will have a word with Lukasz when he is less busy (no sure when that will be)

i have the sms 100 did not work with the lampi

tried it on my cambridge audio stream magic 6 and worked fine. Have not had time to look into why but will have a word with Lukasz when he is less busy (no sure when that will be)

Gary - It did work for me, as advertised. HQP preferred SDM Pack as None (not DoP) and 5.6M bit rate. Were you using the SMS as a NAA Device?

I'm getting there but it's hard to pick things apart when you would rather just sit back and enjoy:) First, the Lampi is in a different class then the Lynx Hilo (which is also a very good DAC). Second, the SOtM USB card in my CAPS v3 server is no slouch and at this point I am not confident I can hear any difference between the CAPS > SOtM USB > Lampi combo versus the CAPS > NAA > Lampi combo.

Lately I've been focusing on comparing DSD from SACD rips to DSD from RBCD through HQP. It's been interesting.

Stay tuned and will report my findings once I am confident and consistent with my results...

Lately I've been focusing on comparing DSD from SACD rips to DSD from RBCD through HQP. It's been interesting.

Stay tuned and will report my findings once I am confident and consistent with my results...

Wait until you try some DSD Downloads - right from the record company tapes - vs. the less accurate SACD rips. Your new Lampizator will be even happier..... :)

Wait until you try some DSD Downloads - right from the record company tapes - vs. the less accurate SACD rips. Your new Lampizator will be even happier..... :)

Yes I've been enjoying DSD downloads, in fact I just picked up a few DSD tape transfers this morning from HDTT (High Definition Tape Transfers).

My experiment is comparing a Hybrid SACD's SACD > DSD sound versus the Hybrid Disk's RBCD > HQP > DSD sound. I started a post on this somewhere, close to publishing results.

Thanks

I await with bated breath...

Say you're impatient rather than this...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I know, I was just teasing him for sounding so sophisticated.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

A Lampizator DAC and some DSD Downloads. Now that sounds like the ingredients for a fun Thanksgiving weekend! :)

Oh yes, I can feel the warmth from here even if I can't hear it!

Doing some more offline conversion to DSD 2x for my little iFi. Looking forward to fixing one channel of my DIY SET tube amp.

Lucky Lampi owners!

Oh yes, I can feel the warmth from here even if I can't hear it!

Doing some more offline conversion to DSD 2x for my little iFi. Looking forward to fixing one channel of my DIY SET tube amp.

Lucky Lampi owners!

Some are probably warmer than others. The DHT tubes on the Lampizator Big 7, in particular, are quite big - and perhaps quite warm as you say.... :)