IGNORED

Lampizator questions

One question remain: I don't understand what is the meaning of the different "PCB level" that are proposed on the HeadDAC Lampizator's order form ?

does this mean that they includes the circuits of the corresponding "DAC Only" level ? this seems quite unlikely !!

• Level 4 PCB (standard for this DAC)
  • Level 5 PCB (Add 500 Euro)
  • Level 6 PCB (16/44/R2R) (add 600 Euro)
  • Level 6 Hi-Rez PCB (24/192/R2R) (add 1000 Euro)
  • Level 7 PCB (add 800 Euro)

Info in this I got from Lukasz when I asked:

"the PCB is the real "level" but there is more to having a real level7 DAC than just digital PCB. We are talking only digital chip part which is like 20 % of the whole machine.

In head DAC the analog part and transformers and tubes are held constant.

I can only make variable the chipset and digital PSU.

The future Level7 HeadDac will be with 45/2A3 combination."

I have two homes and three systems all together

so different places and headphones too. So far the B7 is the best I have for headphones this there is no discussion of with me. Speakers are a different animal. There is just so much more info and details. So as I think it will be the B7 in the main IRS V rig it may not.

Time will tell.

Al

I am really happy for you Al that you enjoy your BIG7.

Could let us know what is your complete headphone set-up With the BIG7 ( source ? Headphone amp ? Headphone ? ...)

Any picture ? :-)

Thanks

Sorry gear daddy I did not read your name. Hello and I am glad you line the B7. I have moved the IRS V from there to NYC so RS 1B is there now. My wife has desided to move there and me here back and forth. I Chaos for now. I am redoing my office rig the IRS.

So crazy times for now.

Al

Yes of course. I forgot about the multiplicity of rigs. A nice problem to have IMO

Have been wondering about power cords and USB cables? I'm in need of both for a Big 7 that will soon be heading my way.

Because the Lampi's USB is galvanically isolated with an independent power supply, I wonder if a data-only USB cable would therefore be preferred?

What power and USB cables have you guys had good luck with?

i use Mosaic audio PCs which came standard with the name named power conditioner. I just ordered a totaldac USB. Supposed to be the best. I will keep you all posted...

Any L7 owners with sonic impressions rolling output tubes? I have used the EML 45s only so far and wanted to try 2A3s next....

I followed shawbro's (from AC) suggestion and went with the national union 45's and love them. And using with the tung-sol 6x5. I'm not very good at describing the differences but the tone and engagement is really something. They are pretty inexpensive 125$ for a set. Worth a try in my opinion.

I followed shawbro's (from AC) suggestion and went with the national union 45's and love them. And using with the tung-sol 6x5. I'm not very good at describing the differences but the tone and engagement is really something. They are pretty inexpensive 125$ for a set. Worth a try in my opinion.

Very good. I have a single rectifier (274B). Lucas says the Shuguang tube used is as good as any he has heard.

Very good. I have a single rectifier (274B). Lucas says the Shuguang tube used is as good as any he has heard.

He is seriously distributing Shuguang 274Bs with a $5k+ DAC? Those tubes are notorious, at least among Woo amp owners, as being mediocre on an excellent day. As the owner of several Woos and several Shuguangs, I can agree... and the build quality is uniformly terrible (the glue leaking out from under the base on every tube, ringing tubes, etc.). Go with anything else, like a Sophia Princess.

He is seriously distributing Shuguang 274Bs with a $5k+ DAC? Those tubes are notorious, at least among Woo amp owners, as being mediocre on an excellent day. As the owner of several Woos and several Shuguangs, I can agree... and the build quality is uniformly terrible (the glue leaking out from under the base on every tube, ringing tubes, etc.). Go with anything else, like a Sophia Princess.

Ouch. I will have to roll the rectifier then. Someone on Audiogon said these were the shizzle: Takatsuki. To be fair to Lucas, the unit did come with EML45s which are not cheap. Most tubed entities I have owned tend to come with cheap modern tubes.

As a recti tube?

If Lukasz uses it, there must be a reason. And the reason will be related to SQ. Perhaps they are no suited as output tubes but work well as rectis?

I heard something similar about his regulators only to find out that that class of regs had tons of brands with totally different prices and specs that run the gamut AND that he used them only as pre-regulators to do bulk filtering in front of his primo regulators as an engineering overcautious implementation.

I will ask him when I get a chance, but I would tend to trust his experience over local techs or other gear owners. All his choices are for a reason, i have found.

I owned a few woo amps. And the stock tubes were not as good as his upgrades were an improvment. But like every thing in audio you need to read and learn. In the end if anyone is buying woo , who makes great products . I would get the stock and then find someone who knows what to buy and seek them out. Regarding the big 7 the stock tubes are not really stock . I think as they are expensive they are cherry picked by luk. The dac is neer perfection as is. When I do direct A/B testes with my MSB Plat plus stack and there are attributes I just like better on the big 7 this tells me it's fine. But as all audio there is better to be had but for now until my new room is up and running , I will be leaving it alone .

I am inclined to roll tubes just for kicks. Other Lampizator owners have had success rolling the rectifier, and its worth a shot. That being said, sometimes engineering can trump tube selection. I own a Viva Solista, and its creator (Schembri) designed it around Sino 845s and 211s. Many people have tried rolling in more expensive tubes to no avail.

L is a tube freak personally and is always checking out new tubes for his own satisfaction. I see him on FB testing rectis and announcing the winner and recently he was testing a new triode tube with no audio credantials yet, but huge potential.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=737673409604239&set=a.123773644327555.9835.100000847605447&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/FikusLampi

EXACTLY HUNDRED (100) years ago !!!!!

The clever people in USA created 101D triode. To honor the anniversary we made a DAC Big7 that uses their new production run from Psvane. 100 years and KICKING. It equals the 45 triode at half the trouble (easier to provide power and heating) Simply stunning !

Lampi DSD is always chipless, AFAIK. Lukasz doesnt use the ESS as its like a black box...too restrictive to implement the way he wants to, he says.

You can not choose versions between DSD only and PCM only, so IMO it is NOT chipless, but via ES9018.

I hope to be wrong though....

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

You can not choose versions between DSD only and PCM only, so IMO it is NOT chipless, but via ES9018.

I hope to be wrong though....

Matt

The PCM is not chipless. The DSD is a LP filter module, so you can have those configs you describe. Having said that I dont know that much about the Amber...

Just got a set of 101d's from Lukasz today and stuck them in the Big7 and they do sound great fresh out of the box.

Think I will be leaving them in there for a while now and putting the EMlabs45s in cold storage for a while.

I will no get much time to listen over the next 2 weeks with travel but looking forward to putting some hours on them when I return.

Stunning DAC, never heard anything like it, the Meitner MA1 is well retired now.

Cheers, Pearse.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Hi,

My Lampi L7 due to arrive Friday. Can't wait.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel