IGNORED

Lampizator questions

Can you elaborate on the SQ of the Big7? Specifically the differences from the L4?

I'm not good at elaborating. :) My system has changed so much it hard to really pinpoint how its better without using the cliche descriptions of more open, airy, transparent, ect.... One day I did plug the L4 (with volume) back in and powered it with a Pass xa-30. Set up right next to my Big 7 and First Watt Shindo combo. Not really a fair contest but it wasn't even close I attribute a lot of that to the other components.

Now I love my L4, So much that I bought the Big 7 going on the faith, that if I loved the L4 then I'll really love the Big 7. From the moment I plugged it in the clarity and depth really caught my attention. It has only improved with time. I heard the the 7 at CES and didn't walk out of the room and say OMG! I need to get this. It was months later that I went to demo a vinyl rig and heard a very nice system and was very unimpressed and thought my money maybe better spent on a Big 7. So glad that I did.

Thanks, hopefully the same with Lampi DSD.

Matt

Re- using Data-only USB cable with Lampi DAC

I have a Lampi Gen4 Level4 PCM DAC connected via USB to my Mac Mini. I have had NO problems with 'handshaking' between the two devices using a dB Labs Signature USB cable that I have taped over the 5v connector of using a thin strip of insulating tape.

This is just one of the things I've done to wring the last bit of potential SQ improvement from my digital replay system.

I suspect some 'tweaks' (maybe I'm not as 'reformed' as I think!) add a small cumulative improvement to SQ. It costs little to experiment, sometimes with synergistically surprising results. ;-)

Given the latest Lampi developments I can't help wondering how much improvement I'd hear if I'd ordered Dueland cast copper caps.... SIGH... is there NO end to this madness???

Regardless, I LOVE the 'analogue' MUSIC that I hear emanating from my speakers right now.

My heart ENJOYS, my head analyses. The challenge seems to be about keeping them in a balance that highlights musical enjoyment.

Perhaps I should just give up reading these fora so I'm not tempted by the 'inner trickster' and sidetracked from enjoying the music. Hmmmm.

OK, back to the music!

Synology NAS, Mac Mini 2011 (with SSD and 16GB RAM), Lampizator L4 Gen4 PCM DAC, Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 line pre-amp, SGR CX4F active speakers, Apple iPad (as remote).

Software: OS X Mavericks, Amarra Symphony 3.0 with iRC/Audirvana Plus 1.5.12/, Remoter VNC (on iPad). CAD OS X script v2.2 (to remove redundant processes).

OS X Mavericks running from SD card; 8 GB RAM disk for music files.

All connected via a snakes nest of various exotic cables! ;o)

Hi all,

Just an update on my Big 7 situation. Apparently Lukasz has figured out what the problem is, but so far Lukasz has not given me any technical details about what the problem is. Fred and Lukasz covered shipping to the Lampizator tech in NJ so my unit went out today - let's see what they can do.

Does anyone have ringing issues with the Level 7 or Big 7 units? i.e. if you guys with level 7's tap your chassis with the music off, do you hear a bell like tone through the speakers?

Another issue (not really a true problem since this was not really promised) is the capability to process DSD256 and above. DSD128 is no problem at all, but Lukasz had emailed me before I received the unit and told me that DSD256 was not an issue but I had to use the ASIO driver in Windows, foobar and the foobar SACD input extension. I downloaded foobar as instructed and the newest version of the SACD input extension, as well as the ASIO proxy extension, but had no luck playing DSD256. DSD128 and DSD64 were obviously no problem.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the firmware version on my Amanero USB board. Has anyone else tried playing DSD256?

Lukasz's original email: "to play DSD128+ asio support must be installed. Using software like foobar the plugin foo dsd_sac proxy must be installed and configured properly. Super Audio CD Decoder | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

DSD Native mode must be selected on the foo_input_dsd proxy

with ASIO DSD256 works well, with DSD512 i received reports about a bit of noise on a channel so i m verifing and fixing the possible problem."

Looking for additional input from others with the Big7 or even the regular DSD module on level 5?

As a caveat, the most recent version of the foobar SACD plugin (https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/) ver 0.7.x has an option in the dialogs called DSD to DSD conversion. Beware of this option - basically it converts input DSD to PCM then back to DSD, and it defaults to DSD64 output I believe. Initially I thought that my DSD256 file was playing fine, but I had this option selected and it was actually downsampling via this option to DSD64; if I selected "None" for this option, the Big 7 output silence.

Hey Al, glad it's working well for you.

Did you select ASIO under the "Playback Options" driver select panel? It's call COMBO384 or something like that, ASIO.

You also have to turn the DAC off and on and close JRiver 19 and reopen if you switch from WASAPI to ASIO, I found.

I just rec my big 7. Wow very nice so far. Both USB and spidif working fine.

Win 8 and jriver 19. But not asio but wasabi

is this normal ??

al

...had no luck playing DSD256. DSD128 and DSD64 were obviously no problem.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the firmware version on my Amanero USB board. Has anyone else tried playing DSD256?

Lukasz's original email: "to play DSD128+ asio support must be installed. Using software like foobar the plugin foo dsd_sac proxy must be installed and configured properly. Super Audio CD Decoder | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

DSD Native mode must be selected on the foo_input_dsd proxy

with ASIO DSD256 works well, with DSD512 i received reports about a bit of noise on a channel so i m verifing and fixing the possible problem."

Looking for additional input from others with the Big7 or even the regular DSD module on level 5?

I'm looking forward to trying real-time upsampling to DSD256 with my Lampi DSD DAC (which is an L4), but won't be able to get to it until sometime next week.

Like seatrope, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success sending a DSD256 upsampled signal to a Lampi DSD DAC from foobar or HQPlayer?

And seatrope, how confident are you that the issue you're having with DSD256 upsampling isn't originating in your server or its software configuration?

Regards,

Keith

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Oh no not that one I was using wasapi. So that is the asio. I'll try it in the morning. Thanks. The output is not hot but not low either it's just right . At first listen it sounded like the msb in presentation and definition. And it's right out of the box and just armed up for couple of hours. How long is break in for these units ?? So far it's all good. I did have a bad SE cable at first . And then the confusion of the inputs. A fellow lampi guy helped me out. So all good so far. I'll post back by the weekend . The tubes are new so the first couple of times no more than 3 hours continuos correct ??

i will,try the dsd 256 in the morning before I leave for work .

al

Oh no not that one I was using wasapi. So that is the asio. I'll try it in the morning. Thanks. The output is not hot but not low either it's just right . At first listen it sounded like the msb in presentation and definition. And it's right out of the box and just armed up for couple of hours. How long is break in for these units ?? So far it's all good. I did have a bad SE cable at first . And then the confusion of the inputs. A fellow lampi guy helped me out. So all good so far. I'll post back by the weekend . The tubes are new so the first couple of times no more than 3 hours continuos correct ??

i will,try the dsd 256 in the morning before I leave for work .

al

In addition to ASIO & WASAPI, there's also Kernel Streaming, which I've been told (by audioPhil) is the best of the three, as it offers the most direct means of communication between the server and the DAC. You may want to give it a try.

Congratulations on your new Lampi!

I look forward to hearing about your experience with DSD256.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Hi all,

Does anyone have ringing issues with the Level 7 or Big 7 units? i.e. if you guys with level 7's tap your chassis with the music off, do you hear a bell like tone through the speakers?

The ringing on my Big 7 is what I would consider normal for tube gear. I have to have the volume on my pre amp higher than normal listening levels then tap the actual tube with my finger nail and can hear ringing. Probably not the same issue you are talking about. Hope everything gets worked out for you.

Not 100% sure, but clearly DSD64 and DSD128 work perfectly through ASIO with both JRMC19 and foobar, so I have a hard time thinking that it's something to do with the server config. I should have tried it throught my notebook but now the unit is off to repair to fix its many problems that no one caught during QA.

I'm looking forward to trying real-time upsampling to DSD256 with my Lampi DSD DAC (which is an L4), but won't be able to get to it until sometime next week.

Like seatrope, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any success sending a DSD256 upsampled signal to a Lampi DSD DAC from foobar or HQPlayer?

And seatrope, how confident are you that the issue you're having with DSD256 upsampling isn't originating in your server or its software configuration?

Regards,

Keith

Thanks for the data point. I ordered some tube dampers to see if it improves anything, though the level of ringing I'm experiencing is way above the norm I think. Here are some Youtube videos I took with sound to illlustrate the ringing and the loud feedback squeal I get, in 3 different amp-speaker setups running the Big 7 direct into amp.

Here are some Youtube videos of the problems:

with Art Audio Jota (ringing and feedback whistling sound)

with Bel Canto

with Audioengine A5

The ringing on my Big 7 is what I would consider normal for tube gear. I have to have the volume on my pre amp higher than normal listening levels then tap the actual tube with my finger nail and can hear ringing. Probably not the same issue you are talking about. Hope everything gets worked out for you.
Thanks for the data point. I ordered some tube dampers to see if it improves anything, though the level of ringing I'm experiencing is way above the norm I think. Here are some Youtube videos I took with sound to illlustrate the ringing and the loud feedback squeal I get, in 3 different amp-speaker setups running the Big 7 direct into amp.

Here are some Youtube videos of the problems:

with Art Audio Jota (ringing and feedback whistling sound)

with Bel Canto

with Audioengine A5

yes i agree. above whats normal

In addition to ASIO & WASAPI, there's also Kernel Streaming, which I've been told (by audioPhil) is the best of the three, as it offers the most direct means of communication between the server and the DAC. You may want to give it a try.

Congratulations on your new Lampi!

I look forward to hearing about your experience with DSD256.

I did try streaming last night and it did not work. But I will play more today .

al

Here is something odd. I am using the asio 384. And in USB PCM . It plays dsd or PCM. But if I move the selector on the front panel to dsd it does not play dsd . And according to jriver I am outputting DSF 64 ?

Al

My Lampi is DSD only, so I'm not able switch between PCM & DSD, but I'll throw .02 in.

JRiver automatically converts DSD to PCM when it thinks your DAC does not accept DSD. So I suspect that the DSD you're hearing while the Lampi is in USB PCM mode is DSD converted to PCM.

You should be able to see exactly what JRiver is doing if you rest the cursor over the button to the far right of the (song) progress bar. The icon on the button looks like a graphic equalizer. That will show you JRiver's "Audio Path", which details exactly what's going on, including the input format, any processing and the output format.

So, from what little I can tell, it seems like JRiver is not configured to output DSD properly or the the Lampi is not accepting the DSD for some reason.

Thanks for replying.

Thst hs what I was thinking as the remote control is needed to SW between DSD and PCM. But in the playing drop down it shows playing with changing. So it must just do it with me knowing. I will look at your method and see. Lukas sent me an email last night as well the driver

both lampi and the dealer are fantastic in responses. Also it seems this is alike lampi club thing going on as well. Very cool to be part of the club. So far the sound is really good.

As I love DSD for it's analog sound type. The red book PCM was out if this world. As I have the msb stack to campare I know how giid it can be. This is seeminglngly above that

al

AL and Seatrope,

DSD Dire and Cap means what it says. It only applies to L7 with Volume Control option. DSD Cap is the default for when you want to change volume levels. DSD DIRE is a capless purist option he threw in to show what is possible with only a single cap in the entire pathway. It may have more ultrasonic "noise" but at least the listener can know what near 100% signal purity is like. The caveat is that you first set the desired volume level for cricical listening and then select DSD DIRE so as to avoid possible clicks/pops.

Very good sir. That I s exactly my observation. I did notice an increase in noise floor.

But the noise floor is on the music and not the dac . The volume clicks if using it.

I feel it does add something more to an already spectacular musical presentation . However as it burns in time will tell. For anyone with a lampi I highly reccomned the new dsd download of cat Stevens tea for the tiller man. Sad Lisa is a track that will mesmerise

you as it has several instruments being mixed In and out while the lampi has given me the song in a presentation I have never had before . Just fascinating to hear my music all,over again .

al

Guys- Have any of you that has the Volume Control compared going direct vs going through your preamp??- I have the volume control on my Big Box 7 and it clicks as I change volume - Have not compared it yet to my Concert Fidelity Preamp- The maker of Serious Stereo -who makes a great 2A3 amp- Dennis said that a correctly made passive would be much better than a hi-end preamp- Any thoughts- thanks

Guys- Have any of you that has the Volume Control compared going direct vs going through your preamp??- I have the volume control on my Big Box 7 and it clicks as I change volume - Have not compared it yet to my Concert Fidelity Preamp- The maker of Serious Stereo -who makes a great 2A3 amp- Dennis said that a correctly made passive would be much better than a hi-end preamp- Any thoughts- thanks

Switch to DSD CAP input on the remote to avoid the volume change click. As I posted above DSD Dire should only be used when you preset the volume level for critical listening.