IGNORED

The Truth About Cable Design and Marketing

Hmmm.... sounds like the way Edison developed the filament for the first electric light. So not so strange. Nor is your post, just more shallow, simplistic thinking, driven by an extreme agenda :(

I guess living in the Detroit Metro area does not promote kindness. We come here to have fun, right?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

You might rethink the "...no matter now much you try" part a bit, though - even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I also believe strongly in the "infinite number of monkeys" theory. Sometimes greatness is achieved through pure chance, and cable designers are as likely to luck out as anyone.

Thanks, but I don't think that's necessary. The popover example was chosen for a very specific reason. Unlike most food recipes, popovers don't happen by just combining the ingredients in correct proportions and baking. Were that the case, trial and error in combining the ingredients, might, as you say, eventually lead to a popover. Merely combining eggs, water, milk, butter and flour will never result in a popover, because a crucial, and very non-intuitive step is being omitted. Believe me, if your blind squirrel were required to jump from one tree to another before he began his search, he'd never find that nut either. :)

George

Even if one believes that cable *can* be used to voice a system (I don't), why would any computer audiophile use an expensive cable to do this rather than free or inexpensive digital EQ?

Because digital EQ is bad, bad MoJo. You sure you are an audiophile? It shouldn't even need mentioning about the bad MoJo of digital anything. Rather strange for computer audiophile activities I admit.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Again- a silly bunch of pseudo scientific drivel.

How does one voice a cable?

1. One builds a cable

2. One listens to the cable

3. One rebuilds the cable changing one element at a time

4. Repeat 2 & 3 above till happy with the sound

5. Document construction

6. Duplicate cable by construction docs

7. Listen to confirm same sound, repeat 5-7 until satisfied

There is nothing unscientific or stupid about such a process. It may be a little labor intensive, but so what? It also does not make a hill of beans whether of not anyone else can hear a difference or not. They simply will not sell if people do bot hear a difference.

OK Paul. How do you deal with the fact that as part of an overall system, if the resulting cable is connected to a source and a destination component that differs from the ones upon which the cable was so carefully voiced, it will likely not sound at all like it did when being developed? What does that say about your above voicing procedure?

George

Hmmm.... sounds like the way Edison developed the filament for the first electric light. So not so strange. Nor is your post, just more shallow, simplistic thinking, driven by an extreme agenda :(

Even Edison admitted that this was not the ideal way to do research, but he was under the gun to produce, and produce quickly, so he took the "shotgun" approach. To be completely fair, the difference between Edison's search for a suitable filament material produced an objective result, while searching for cable voicing is fraught with many variables, and under the most ideal conditions, will produce a subjective result. Like I said, no wonder these "boutique" cables cost so much.

George

Even if one believes that cable *can* be used to voice a system (I don't), why would any computer audiophile use an expensive cable to do this rather than free or inexpensive digital EQ?

Good question. Especially since the amount of "difference" in cables is very subtle and limited (not to mention fixed!) as well as totally unpredictable! One certainly can't use a cable to fix a deficiency in any other part of the system like an equalizer can, even if one believes absolutely in cables having a sound or affecting one.

George

Because digital EQ is bad, bad MoJo. You sure you are an audiophile? It shouldn't even need mentioning about the bad MoJo of digital anything. Rather strange for computer audiophile activities I admit.

You know you're being sarcastic, I know you're being sarcastic, but somebody is bound to take you seriously!

George

I guess living in the Detroit Metro area does not promote kindness.

Well, this interminable winter doesn't help, or maybe it's my low tolerance for BS ??

We come here to have fun, right?

Sure, but some have fun by giving other folks a bad time. I don't like that, and target bad behavior as I see it. The specific actor in question here has shoveled out far more crap to all and sundry, then I have managed to address in a (relatively) few aggravated responses.

You know you're being sarcastic, I know you're being sarcastic, but somebody is bound to take you seriously!

Well seems being serious no one takes it seriously.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Fixed it for you... :)

So this is meant to distinguish believing, which is unreliable, from knowing, which is, what, totally reliable clear and distinct, certain? Something like that? Well, I don't know. I don't think of it that way. I think of it more like this: To quote the venerable Wikipedia,

"In a notion derived from Plato's dialogue Theaetetus, philosophy has traditionally defined knowledge as "justified true belief". The relationship between belief and knowledge is that a belief is knowledge if the belief is true, and if the believer has a justification (reasonable and necessarily plausible assertions/evidence/guidance) for believing it is true."

I think the paranthetical is crucial. Just my opinion. What do you think? Plausible?

Considering that cable differences would normally tend to be subtle, and difficult to measure, although perhaps helping to cure minor niggling tonal balance problems, it could be a bit like trying to crack a peanut open with a sledgehammer ? That's of course if you can work out exactly what needs to be corrected.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

"In a notion derived from Plato's dialogue Theaetetus, philosophy has traditionally defined knowledge as "justified true belief". The relationship between belief and knowledge is that a belief is knowledge if the belief is true, and if the believer has a justification (reasonable and necessarily plausible assertions/evidence/guidance) for believing it is true."

I think the paranthetical is crucial. Just my opinion. What do you think? Plausible?

You have plausible evidence that cables sound different?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Fixed it for you... :)

(Grin)

Brings up a good question though- I am not convinced people have to believe they are hearing a difference to actuqlly hear a difference. In fact, the idea that belief has to play a part in the process has a very good chance of being wrong.

Consider please, if you could hear my voice, and I said "Hello"- is there any belief necessary for you to recognize and process what you hear? Certainly, one might mistake what one hears, but again, I do not think belief enters into this process. When one says "I believe that is what I heard" the "I believe" part is most often a polite fiction...

In any case, assuming belief is a significant operator here is probably just another polite fiction. Of course it might be the operant actor in what people hear, but that would not be my belief. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I tried an equalizer can, but it sounded tinny.

iStock_000011870171XSmall.jpg

Souptin, where are you? Are you going to put up with this defamation?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

There are some pure silver oil injected interconnects on EBay from Honk Kong for $40. The silver filaments float in oil which is pretty neat (so they don't oxidize?). They are billed as a "Tube Amps Sound RCA Cable." Would hate for the oil leak into my amps, but would be fun to try them. I also wonder why so many use copper when silver is a better conductor. Off topic sorry.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX