IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

So if I choose to enable network related services then after that I can choose to just disable remote management but leave remote access enabled??

Thanks!

..Cool. I just graduated to being a "Sophomore" on CA. Only took 6 years. I did better in college :-)

Probably should have moved from being a "Lurker" to being an "Student Observer"...

I'm confused by this and would appreciate someone clarifying it:

"I can choose to just disable remote management but leave remote access enabled??"

What is the difference between "remote management" and "remote access?" Is it that you can just access the data (under remote access) but not change it (which you could do under remote management)

Thanks.

MG555

hi

Remote access probably means Remote Desktop (RDP). remote Management would be a remote PowerShell promp for example.

best,

phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi Folks

Maybe we should start a new thread about the cloning/shrinking/backup topic? Let's focus on the AO 1.30 experience now! :)

Thanks everybody for the positive comments so far, to all others, don't hide and tell what you think about the new AO experience!

____________________________________________________________________________________

I just joined the WS2012/AO club. I built up a new PC using an HP Slimline chassis, i5-4570S CPU, 32GB & 600GB SSDs and Windows Server 2012 R2. I brought this system to a colleague's home for auditioning and to compare with an existing Win7 PC used for digital music playback.

Even before running AO I noticed improvements in sound stage depth and accuracy, less treble edginess and better instrument focus. After installing AO there was further improvement.

The PC drives an Anedio U2 USB-to-S/PDIF converter connected to a TACT pre-amp. My colleague does tri-amplification with TACT power amps driving custom speakers and stereo subs. With the new PC delivering better sound we quickly realized the PC can easily be the limiting factor in overall sound quality.

I have not tried core mode yet, and still have a PPA USB3 card on order, so further improvements are certainly possible.

One question: Is it OK to install MinimServer into this WS2012 PC to make it double as a NAS, or is that not recommended due to sound quality degradation?

I'd like to report that AO 1.30 delivered even more stunning results in my experimental setup. The audition at my colleague's home two weeks ago was with AO 1.26. Yesterday we did round 2 with AO 1.30 and the SQ reached another level. This time we tried minimal-server mode with the WiFi dongle unplugged. I also had a PPA USB3 card installed but we ran into a problem with the Anedio U2 DDC so I switched to an Intel USB3 host controller via a motherboard USB3 port. We also tried some iFi devices on USB: iUSB Power, Gemini cable and iPurifier. Both the HW changes and the AO 1.30 SW yielded very noticeable sonic improvements. The sound of the whole setup became similar in character to Auralic VEGA DAC and Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC RS we heard at the California Audio Show back in August. Great dynamics, snappy transients, micro detail, relaxed presentation, lack of treble edginess, clearer and smooth mids and firmer bass were all noticed. Thanks Phil for making such a fantastic sounding product!

Do NOT post the URL of the self service portal anywhere online!!!

Read the guide found in the zip file (chapter "Activation" or FAQ section), or read what AO shows you on the screen

Hi Folks

Thanks everybody for the positive comments so far, to all others, don't hide and tell what you think about the new AO experience!

Phil,

Not hiding, just actually a bit groggy from my AO 1.30 experience. :)

What you have done is not really fair!!! I have been an early beta tester and as we all know each iteration somehow has gotten better and better... But this... is crazy!

I have been using the 1.30 beta for about two weeks and as soon as I installed and started listening, I basically have not stopped... Most nights until 4 or 5AM!!! I am a mess Phil and it is all your fault!!! :)

Have been pretty busy during the day so I have been doing most of this listening with my vintage super revealing Stax electrostatics. From the moment I started and still after almost two weeks, all I keep saying to myself,, (because everyone else is sleeping) is WOW...

Everything is just better. More natural, musical detail to the extreme, more depth, spacial cues, everything so relaxed, just flows, just amazing...

It is hard to put into words how good this new version sounds. Anyone who has not tried Server with the Audiophile Optimizer yet, should really do so. It is a better platform IMO than anything else available by a wide margin... Thanks again Phil. :)

regards

Bob

Phil is there any chance to have cd artwork in jpg or png or other format to be displayed in JRiver (Cover view mode or Display). I know it is connected with missing files for Direct3D.

I would like to have possibility to view the artwork even if it has an influence over SQ.

By the way good job. 1.3 version gives noticable improvement.

Hi

not sure if i get this one right. I always had my artwork visible in JRiver, never needed to do anything for it besides ticking "generate thumbnails" in the auto import config.

However, re-enabling direct3D in core mode wouldn't be a smart move for many reasons.

Phil,

Not hiding, just actually a bit groggy from my AO 1.30 experience. :)

What you have done is not really fair!!! I have been an early beta tester and as we all know each iteration somehow has gotten better and better... But this... is crazy!

I have been using the 1.30 beta for about two weeks and as soon as I installed and started listening, I basically have not stopped... Most nights until 4 or 5AM!!! I am a mess Phil and it is all your fault!!! :)

Have been pretty busy during the day so I have been doing most of this listening with my vintage super revealing Stax electrostatics. From the moment I started and still after almost two weeks, all I keep saying to myself,, (because everyone else is sleeping) is WOW...

Everything is just better. More natural, musical detail to the extreme, more depth, spacial cues, everything so relaxed, just flows, just amazing...

It is hard to put into words how good this new version sounds. Anyone who has not tried Server with the Audiophile Optimizer yet, should really do so. It is a better platform IMO than anything else available by a wide margin... Thanks again Phil. :)

regards

Bob

Hi Bob

thanks a lot for this one :-) last night I said to my wife "either they all think it's crap or they're totally knocked out by the new sound quality and just can't stop listen to music".

Very happy the second assumption was the right one :-)

Hi,

I have 1.30 installed running in Core Mode and Ultimate.with Al's advice and help. Thanks Al. I've also use jPlay as well. I've been using 1A. The sound was much better. But still not correct. A friend wanted to hear Windows 8.1 with Fidelizer 5, and jPlay installed. Since I use two separate SSD drives to Dual Boot this was accomplished quite easily.

But maybe I've done something wrong because we both thought that Windows 8.1 was at least as good if not better than Setting 1A. I did switch to 4D and like it but I thought the bass was a little tubby. I do not hear the pinpoint imaging and incredible dynamics some of you have remarked on. It does sound very good but I've certainly not been blown away with this software.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? The software and pc does seem to be working correctly and I can hear the difference changing the settings make so I know my system has enough resolving power.

I'm using a single pc setup (in my signature it would be the control pc as I've not got the Audio PC built yet) I have no linear PSUs as yet and I'm using an iUSB purifier to connect the PPUSB to the B7.

I'm not saying it sounds bad, it does sound remarkable, but I'm not hearing the big difference that Windows Server 2012 and AO are supposed to bring to the table vs Windows 8.1, Fidelizer 5, and jPlay.

Before I spend money on an Audio PC, mega buck linear PSUs, etc, I have to wonder if a product like Auralic Airies might be a better investment? It does make one wonder.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Have you guys tried Windows 10 Server yet? A bit early for such technical preview but we could have a glimpse of what's in the pipeline

http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/F/5/7/F574727C-B145-4A7D-B85B-11C4E8DC894B/9841.0.140912-1613.FBL_RELEASE_SERVER_OEM_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO

Announcing availability of Windows Server Technical Preview and System Center Technical Preview

http://blogs.technet.com/b/server-cloud/archive/2014/10/01/announcing-availability-of-windows-server-technical-preview-and-system-center-technical-preview.aspx

Release Notes: Important Issues in the Windows Server Technical Preview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765470.aspx

Windows Server Technical Preview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn781243

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-vnext-technical-preview

Installation Guidelines

Upon installation, you will be prompted to activate. A product key is not required for the ISO installation.

VHD installation requires the following product key:

JGNV3-YDJ66-HJMJP-KVRXG-PDGDH

Hi,

I have 1.30 installed running in Core Mode and Ultimate.with Al's advice and help. Thanks Al. I've also use jPlay as well. I've been using 1A. The sound was much better. But still not correct. A friend wanted to hear Windows 8.1 with Fidelizer 5, and jPlay installed. Since I use two separate SSD drives to Dual Boot this was accomplished quite easily.

But maybe I've done something wrong because we both thought that Windows 8.1 was at least as good if not better than Setting 1A. I did switch to 4D and like it but I thought the bass was a little tubby. I do not hear the pinpoint imaging and incredible dynamics some of you have remarked on. It does sound very good but I've certainly not been blown away with this software.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? The software and pc does seem to be working correctly and I can hear the difference changing the settings make so I know my system has enough resolving power.

I'm using a single pc setup (in my signature it would be the control pc as I've not got the Audio PC built yet) I have no linear PSUs as yet and I'm using an iUSB purifier to connect the PPUSB to the B7.

I'm not saying it sounds bad, it does sound remarkable, but I'm not hearing the big difference that Windows Server 2012 and AO are supposed to bring to the table vs Windows 8.1, Fidelizer 5, and jPlay.

Before I spend money on an Audio PC, mega buck linear PSUs, etc, I have to wonder if a product like Auralic Airies might be a better investment? It does make one wonder.

WS 2012 with AO helps most but not all systems, and isnt for everyone. The explanation is unclear, but a reasonable theory is there is a source of noise from the computer (such as fans, or powerline noise) creating a baseline problem that is present regardless of the OS being used. Therefore the benefit of WS2012 with AO is drowned out, so to speak, by the other over arching problem. It seems the most effective benefits have been observed by users with a dedicated CAPS like audio PC build.

In my system (CAPS carbon with RWA black lightning and Paul Pang SATA cable) the improvement in WS 2012 with AO over win 8.1 is profound.

After listening to AO 1.3 now for the past day I'm still impressed by the nice improvement! Reduced noise floor, more inner detail. Well worth the purchase price.

I noted the ultimate mode doesn't allow for any customization with the power settings. My CAPS carbon with RWA black lightning and Paul Pang SATA cable (no Jplay) still sounds slightly better with the following command line changes. Perhaps these would benefit others with a similar system as mine:

powercfg /l

(gives the ID for power saver scheme)

Then use the power save scheme ID string in the following:

powercfg /s [power saver scheme ID string]

powercfg /setacvalueindex [power saver scheme ID string] sub_processor procthrottlemax 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex [power saver scheme ID string] sub_processor procthrottlemin 0

Thanks for some explanation. I'm exploring the purchase of Linear power supplies now. I'm liking 3d pretty well. But the real question, spend money on new computer or Airies? The $2000 question I guess.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Thanks for some explanation. I'm exploring the purchase of Linear power supplies now. I'm liking 3d pretty well. But the real question, spend money on new computer or Airies? The $2000 question I guess.

I faced the same question as you and I went for the Audio PC. I found a refurbished Lenovo w/i7 processor for $500. I was using Jplay at the time and was not too impressed. When I set the 2 PC streamer w/Jplay things improved much. Then I found AO and optimized them and it sent me into a whole new level of audio quality. An Optimized Audio PC in core mode w/PSU upgrade and a PPA usb card is a high end device. At least I'm happy with this 2 PC path. I don't believe I would get near this sound quality with 1 PC.

There are sooo many choices. Good Luck!cleardot.gif

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

Hi,

Curious, what is the actually computer hardware you are using?

regards

Bob

WS 2012 with AO helps most but not all systems, and isnt for everyone. The explanation is unclear, but a reasonable theory is there is a source of noise from the computer (such as fans, or powerline noise) creating a baseline problem that is present regardless of the OS being used. Therefore the benefit of WS2012 with AO is drowned out, so to speak, by the other over arching problem. It seems the most effective benefits have been observed by users with a dedicated CAPS like audio PC build.

Very good point, I was just thinking the same thing.

As of now I upgraded the PSU from the stock one only slightly. It's an Antec BP500. The PC is a Lenovo Ideacentre H520 Core i7 and came with a crappy PSU. What could I expect for $500. Added a PPA usb card for audio out. You can check my profile, my set up is in there. I am going to add a PPA SSD and a linear supply soon. That will be a huge upgrade I'm sure. I'm still new to this audiophile stuff and have a limited budget....doing the best I can and trying to make smart decisions with my limited money.

Phil has given me some advice too. This has been a fun and a learning experience.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

Before I started this journey . I new nothing of hiw a PC could effect the sound of a DAC .since then I noriced a I7 weather Mac or PC gave me better sound. I ended up buying a maxed out msb stack and UMT plus. This allowed me to use it as a transport for many other DACS . The AO software and his support with this website is the reason I have learned so much about cpu audio. It's a shame how much we spend on our stuff and hiw little support they give us. A big thanks to here and audio Phil .

al

Yes, the support Phil has given me in this build has been awesome. I'm very indebted to him.

I can see that 1.30 has simplified commands and made things simpler for new people. I feel he did those things inspired by me :)

Phil and this forum are great. But the support or even common knowledge we get from our device makers is very poor. To say te least it makes me wonder are they really that clueless and if so how can they make the products they do.

just one DAC almow cost me a fortun and the complete lack of understanding is amazing. even the makers of the caps are pretty sad as they do not represent the for front of this as in a product like AO or a linaer or battery supply.

Anyway thanks to Phil and a few others here line ted B. Putting things in writing to have us read. It's far better the another USB cable.

Al

Feedback on AO 1.30 is now starting to get posted Phil, both here and on the JPlay Forum. If you had any concerns that an initial lack of feedback was due to dissatisfaction with AO 1.30, they are unfounded. Your assumption that we are all too busy listening to post feedback appears to be correct! As you have requested feedback, here is my contribution.

Installation of 1.30 is very straightforward and the new Service Tool makes setup easy for those users who, like myself, do not have advanced technical skills or knowledge. The new version of Service Tool is even more user friendly than its predecessor. I experienced no difficulties or problems with the upgrade and activation was easy, as was the case with previous builds. I had been experiencing a problem with most recent builds of JRiver Media Center 20 running in Core Mode on Windows Server 2012 R2. AO 1.30 addresses this issue and the JRiver Media Center 20/JPlay 5.2.1/Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 combination is faultlessly compatible. The revised manual provides explicit and detailed instructions although Phil responds very promptly to queries posted either in this thread or in the relevant threads on the JPlay Forum.

The optimization process is also user friendly, the manual providing the user with an excellent point of reference. I had set up a static IP address when installing a previous version in order that I could disable network services. The upgrade to AO 1.30 enabled me to carry over settings from my previous installation. I chose Ultimate Mode (In Windows Server 2012 Core Mode) for optimization (Sound Signature/Digital Filter Mode 2D) and followed the instructions and advice provided in the manual. When the Optimizer had restarted, I used the Service Tool to select JRiver Media Center 20 as the default shell and restarted my computer. It might be helpful to point out that I use an Acer i5 laptop with 8GB RAM. I also use an M2Tech HiFace Evo with Paul Hynes SR-1 Power Supply, Naim Audio NAC52/Naim Audio Supercap/Naim Audio NAP250 and Naim SBL MkI speakers. I have always found it difficult to write about anything to do with music. The interface between humankind and music is a personal interaction and any judgements pertaining to that interface will, by their very nature, be subjective. With that caveat, I offer the following observations.

In short, Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 is a revelation! The dynamic range is better, stereo imaging and placement is better defined and there is an illusion of greater space between individual musicians and/or vocalists, making it easier to gain a greater insight into the musical components of a given recording. My reference album to judge system upgrades is not one of the accepted 'audiophile' recordings, it is a 16/44 rip from my CD of the first album by Hatfield and the North (http://tinyurl.com/mubufgu). This album has brought me more pleasure over the past forty years than any other in my collection and listening to it is always a very personal experience. Listening to this album with AO 1.30 gave me greater insight into its contents. AO 1.30 did not reveal content in the mix of which I was previously unaware but the presentation and articulation of the music were much improved, bringing me closer to the original recording. I then listened to other albums from Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' (24/192 HDtracks Stereo) to Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' (http://tinyurl.com/qzcscsu)(DSD rip from SACD iso). The improvement offered by AO 1.30 is clear and tangible across all musical genres an audio formats.

I am often sceptical with regard to upgrades in audio replay systems and it saddens me on some audio forums to note how the qualities of music have taken a back seat to an obsession for audio replay equipment and the constant quest to upgrade at costs which often run into five figure sums! I haven't had many 'wow' moments in the development of my system ... Owing a Linn Sondek LP12 for the first time was one, upgrading from a Naim Audio NAC82/HI-CAP to a Naim Audio NAC52/Supercap was another. The upgrade to Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 provided me with another rare 'wow' moment ...

It really is that good!

For a cost of 20€, it has to be the most cost effective upgrade I have ever made to my system. If you are not already an AO user, then initial purchase will cost 100€. Either way, you will not be disappointed!