IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Hi,

I have a single PC setup with Server 2012, AO, Paul Pang USB, jRiver, Lampizator Big7, and jPlay. I just added a linear PSU. This system sounds incredible. Better by far than my Mark Levinson Reference 31.5 Transport and 30.6 DAC ever did when comparing Redbook to Redbook. And really no comparison at all when playing DSD and HiRez PCM. I have plans to add a Mini Zuma as the Audio PC. I'm sure from the comments posted here that I'll really appreciate and love Jplay and AO in the two PC setup.

But I've also been reading about the Auralic Aires. It would cost about the same as the Audio PC. It would seem to be much simpler to use and implement than the two PC setup I'm contemplating. I've read many favorable comments about the Aires.

The Question: Does anyone expect the Aires to perform as well or better than the Two PC AO Server 2012 setup could? Could simpler be better SQ as well as simplifying your system? Does anyone know if the reviews of the Aires are written by writers who have at least heard the aformentioned system with Dual PCs?

One advantage I see (or weakness) is the endless tweaking the Dual PC setup can entail to get the best performance. One can only apply the tweeks, listen and decide what combo sounds best in your system. (I do find it sort of fun, but a pain to get it all working as well?

Just wondering what the Dual jPlay AO Server 2012 PC users think?

This is actually pretty good question, and even though this is not the place to have an in-depth discussion about the Aires there are some points to make. In my opinion there is no way the Aires, or for that matter any Linux device can approach server 2012 and the audiophile optimizer. I have personally tried several different types of Linux systems on Intel and different arm type processor boards, and none come close. There is another poster who also mentions similar experiences regarding the comparison with Linux, it is very good but just doesn't sound right in some ways. In my opinion this is what you would also have with the Aires. On the audio Asylum and here of course there has been discussion on the Aires and although it is a nice one-piece solution it does not really contain "audiophile" parts. It is a nice standard custom board but not the perfect all-in-one solution. I think as your system is configured now, single PC it would be better than the Aires, and dual PC probably better still. Since you're already working with a PC-based system unless you really want to downsize to something simple, I personally would not bother. As far as reviewers go, I really do not think commercial reviewers would ever compare what most of us are running to the Aires or other commercial streamers. They are different animals and do not go together. Commercial reviewers also have a different agenda when it comes to what is reviewable and something which is more homebrew does not fit the program.

regards

Bob

I have in-depth experience with both my dual pc with AO/jplay setup and with the Auralic Aries, into several DACs. Heck, I am a beta tester for both AO and the Aries. My article series is going to attempt to discuss the tradeoffs. I am including the Aurender server in these discussions. Net/net, there is no free lunch. Each platform brings strong pluses and minuses. There is no free lunch.

I have in-depth experience with both my dual pc with AO/jplay setup and with the Auralic Aries, into several DACs. Heck, I am a beta tester for both AO and the Aries. My article series is going to attempt to discuss the tradeoffs. I am including the Aurender server in these discussions. Net/net, there is no free lunch. Each platform brings strong pluses and minuses. There is no free lunch.

Ted,

As your opinion is one I value greatly, I am really looking forward to what you have to say.

regards

bob

But I've also been reading about the Auralic Aires. It would cost about the same as the Audio PC. It would seem to be much simpler to use and implement than the two PC setup I'm contemplating. I've read many favorable comments about the Aires.

The Question: Does anyone expect the Aires to perform as well or better than the Two PC AO Server 2012 setup could? Could simpler be better SQ as well as simplifying your system? Does anyone know if the reviews of the Aires are written by writers who have at least heard the aformentioned system with Dual PCs?

One advantage I see (or weakness) is the endless tweaking the Dual PC setup can entail to get the best performance. One can only apply the tweeks, listen and decide what combo sounds best in your system. (I do find it sort of fun, but a pain to get it all working as well?

I've got no experience with the Auralic Aires, but I'd like to point out that using dual servers is no more complicated than using a single one. In daily use, I have to turn two computers on and off instead of just one. That's it.

Dual servers with AO and JPlay do allow for a lot more combinations of settings than does a single server, but experimenting with these doesn't take a great deal of time or effort and the results can be heard immediately.

So for me, it's all pros and no cons. My Control PC upsamples while my Audio PC hibernates. Easy to use, potential for best sound quality (according to AudioPhil) and more settings to you can adjust to maximize the synergy with the rest of your system.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Hi,

Thanks for all responses. Did not want to get the thread off track. But new this was the place to ask about the Aires vs two pc setup.

Considering purchasing micro Zuma along with the linear PSU for the audio pc. Please PM of any pros or cons.

But it looks like some might disagree with its implementation. I want to get this right. Andrew at Small Green PC seems ver

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Ok I just bought the C.A.P.S. v3 micro Zuma from Small Green computers, and want to install the Audio Optimizer, but I have 1.5 tb of music and only 1tb of ssd space, what is the best way to get additional space? A NAS? An external usb hard drive? An external ssd hard drive? I'm new to this server stuff, so my question might seem dumb, but I really need to know before I go forward with installing the audio optimizer, hopefully this weekend.

Ok I just bought the C.A.P.S. v3 micro Zuma from Small Green computers, and want to install the Audio Optimizer, but I have 1.5 tb of music and only 1tb of ssd space, what is the best way to get additional space? A NAS? An external usb hard drive? An external ssd hard drive? I'm new to this server stuff, so my question might seem dumb, but I really need to know before I go forward with installing the audio optimizer, hopefully this weekend.

Lots of ways to handle this. It just depends on what you want. I personally use a NAS for a couple of reasons:

I want the redundancy

I want to be able to access my music through my Sonos music system.

All the methods you described will work but it depends on what your needs and budget are.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Lots of ways to handle this. It just depends on what you want. I personally use a NAS for a couple of reasons:

I want the redundancy

I want to be able to access my music through my Sonos music system.

All the methods you described will work but it depends on what your needs and budget are.

My main concern is will it work with audio optimizer, since optimizer reduces a lot of functions.

All of the options you mentioned will work with the Audiophile Optimizer.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Here is my findings.

I have three setups all one pc all xion 3.5 I7 and one more non xion I7 2.70.

The 2.7 is paul

pang all'out mani board with all the goodies his , SS drives as well memory. I cannot detect for sure any difference in sound weather it's usi g a external usb or the internal drives. But even though I have a nas drive with it's own linaer psu and audio grade SW with cat 6a shielded wire with it's own liinaer psu. I can say I do hear things sometimes.

Al

Here is my findings.

I have three setups all one pc all xion 3.5 I7 and one more non xion I7 2.70.

The 2.7 is paul

pang all'out mani board with all the goodies his , SS drives as well memory. I cannot detect for sure any difference in sound weather it's usi g a external usb or the internal drives. But even though I have a nas drive with it's own linaer psu and audio grade SW with cat 6a shielded wire with it's own liinaer psu. I can say I do hear things sometimes.

Al

Thanks Al, that's good information. I have a NAS and will try that along with on board SS Drive and later I will get an external drive just to try that out. Thanks for your help.

Phil or anyone else that knows -

I have the trial version of Server 2012 R2 installed on my Zuma; however, due to a move and house build I am living in an apt and have not had the computer or audio system set up. I just powered up the Zuma and realized my trial license has expired. I'd rather not wipe and reload for another 180 days since I do not have the space, resources, or time to do that effectively.

So my questions are:

1.) Without starting from scratch, can I license 2012 Essentials even though I have Trial Server 2012 R2 installed? If so, how/where do I accomplish this?

2.) After licensing 2012 Essentials, is there a problem placing music on the same SSD as the OS for purposes of demonstrating the superiority of Server 2012 in core with AO to a friend of mine on his system? I used to have my music on a NAS, but the NAS is in storage. Also, my friend doesn't have a wired network anyway.

Thanks...very much appreciated!

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Hi,

is there a way to access jPlay when in Core Mode? I'm guessing not, since there is no command prompt to type in js. But maybe I'm wrong?

I know now several of you like D4, which is very rich sounding to me. I know why others like it. But I've enjoyed D 3 as well. To me for those objecting to the analog sound of D4 D3 has a little less "romance" better in bass, a tad more defined I think. I find myself alternating between these two modes.

Is there a thread on getting the most and best settings with AO and jPlay? If not maybe we should start one.

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Hi,

is there a way to access jPlay when in Core Mode? I'm guessing not, since there is no command prompt to type in js. But maybe I'm wrong?

Core mode is nothing BUT a command prompt. Yes, "js" works fine (in 1.3), otherwise here is another approach:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/whos-used-audiophile-optimizer-windows-2012-server-or-windows-8-a-17897/index42.html#post360917

I recently installed 2012R2 and am unable to use the ethernet ports. My pc is CAPS-like with an ASUS Z97 Deluxe motherboard. To use wi-fi, I only had to enable the feature in the server and did not have to download any additional drivers for it to work. But even though I enabled the ethernet controllers in the Device Manager, it still doesn't show up under the list of active network adapters (in the Device Manager). I verified in BIOS that the ports are enabled.

I did try to download what I thought was an appropriate ethernet driver, but got an error message. Anyone have a similar problem? The manual says I can't install AO until all missing drivers are installed.

Thanks.

I recently installed 2012R2 and am unable to use the ethernet ports. My pc is CAPS-like with an ASUS Z97 Deluxe motherboard. To use wi-fi, I only had to enable the feature in the server and did not have to download any additional drivers for it to work. But even though I enabled the ethernet controllers in the Device Manager, it still doesn't show up under the list of active network adapters (in the Device Manager). I verified in BIOS that the ports are enabled.

I did try to download what I thought was an appropriate ethernet driver, but got an error message. Anyone have a similar problem? The manual says I can't install AO until all missing drivers are installed.

Thanks.

The Intel Ethernet drivers will not install on Windows 2012 R2 without some work. I had to follow this in order to get the LAN card to work properly:

Hacking an Intel network card to work on Server 2012 R2 « FoxDeploy.com

Alan

Ok, must be blind. I am actually using mini server mode instead of core. I pick jRiver as the shell. I don't see a command prompt either in the jRIver menu system or on the screen if I mimimize JRiver. Nothing much happens when I type in 'js'. There is no jPlay icon on the screen anywhere either.

So a few more hints would be welcome.

Also so would anyone care to share the jplay settings and AO settings that seem to work best together? I'm using a single pc.

Thanks,

steven

SteVe's V's

Ok, must be blind. I am actually using mini server mode instead of core. I pick jRiver as the shell. I don't see a command prompt either in the jRIver menu system or on the screen if I mimimize JRiver. Nothing much happens when I type in 'js'. There is no jPlay icon on the screen anywhere either.

So a few more hints would be welcome.

Also so would anyone care to share the jplay settings and AO settings that seem to work best together? I'm using a single pc.

Thanks,

steven

You don't see a command prompt because you've chosen JRiver as the shell. Re-run the service tool and choose the default shell, which is the command prompt, and it will be the only thing that appears when you reboot. You can then make adjustments with jPlay and the AO and once things are to your liking, you can then go back to having JRiver as the shell.

Alternatively, you get to the command prompt this way:

• Type Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bring up the Task Manager.
  • The click "More Details" at the bottom of the Task Manager, which will make its menu bar visible.
  • Select File | Run New Task | "cmd".

As for which settings are best, opinions are all over the map on that. It's entirely subjective and hugely dependent on your system and individual preferences. I have JPlay maxed out in terms of buffering/throttling/hibernation modes. I tried the more "advanced" JPlay engines like Ultrastream and XStream, but the River engine sounds more natural to me/in my system. As for AO, I like 4D on both of my machines. Obviously YMMV. It's easy to experiment and find out what works for you. When you do, please post your preferences so that other users can see if they like them too.

One more thing to keep in mind, you have to stop the music in order to change JPlay settings, but you can change AO digital filters & sound signatures while you're listening to the music.

Good luck!

Keith

I continue to play with settings in AO 1.30 in search of the perfect combo in my 2 pc Jplay/AO streamer. In my last post I found that if I disabled USB optimization I got a cleaner top end and a more relaxed and natural sound. However, in the next few days I began to realize I'd lost some detail and texture in the music....I wanted it back.

I asked Phil about this usb optimization and he said it is either on-X1000 or off-0. No middle ground. So I started playing to see if there was a combo where I could use it. After trying several combos of settings I found a new combo I like better. In this new Ultimate setting combo I follow all of Phil's suggestions except I disable the HPET. This allows me to enable the usb optimization without the slight strain on the top end. Very clean and detailed....my best yet!

I have Jplay maxed with Ultrastream/Throttle-on/Hibernate mode/direct buffers/Ultra size-60.

I am now using sound signatures: Control PC-1B Audio PC-4D

So many settings and variables. I'll keep this until my OCD overrides my AO :)

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

You don't see a command prompt because you've chosen JRiver as the shell. Re-run the service tool and choose the default shell, which is the command prompt, and it will be the only thing that appears when you reboot. You can then make adjustments with jPlay and the AO and once things are to your liking, you can then go back to having JRiver as the shell.

Alternatively, you get to the command prompt this way:

• Type Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bring up the Task Manager.
  • The click "More Details" at the bottom of the Task Manager, which will make its menu bar visible.
  • Select File | Run New Task | "cmd".

I have a similar issue but as I use RDP to access my headless CAPS-like box remotely and it is in Core Mode I am mostly cut off since making MC19 my shell. The only way I could figure out to get to the AO utilities was to use JRiver and choose "Open File" to browse to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I have a similar issue but as I use RDP to access my headless CAPS-like box remotely and it is in Core Mode I am mostly cut off since making MC19 my shell. The only way I could figure out to get to the AO utilities was to use JRiver and choose "Open File" to browse to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

Yes, I do that too. I created tiny batch files as shortcuts for the few tools I need (Task Manager, Q-Dir, JPlay, JRiver, command prompt, even shutdown & restart) and they're all in the same folder. I access them the same way, with JRiver and "Open File". It works very well and I don't have to type any long paths.

I don't need them very often now that I'm happy with the settings I've chosen... for now anyway. :)

Hi, Ya’all

After quite some time of reading this thread about Audiophile Optimizer, I’ve decide to write my first post here. After more than two months of playing, trying, listening of different types of settings I finally came to conclusion/solution that’s suits my taste... But first things first… Thank you Phill for such a great product/solution for computer based systems!

I had problems from beginning setting my computer for streaming audio to my DAC. Every question sent to Phill considering those issues were answered in incredibly short time and that was way before I even said I’m willing to purchase AO. Highest level of professionalism I haven’t encountered in a long time…

Phill helped me starting with driver installation and with all needed advices regarding server setup. Thanx a million, Phill !

My first mail sent to Phill was somewhere in June and I bought AO late in September… after some 40+ mails we sent to each other and plenty of advices I received from Phill, I was ready for final step in setting audio system…

In my system with singlePC setup which is simple and minimal, component-wise, I found that best sound for me is with following settings:

Sound Signature: X (Windows Default)

Digital-Filter Mode: X (Windows Default)

High precision event timer (HPET): enabled

Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection (SEHOP): enabled

Software Protection Service: enabled

WASAPI/MMCSS Optimization: NO

SCSI-MiniPort drivers disabled: YES

USB Optimization enabled: YES

Drivers and Services disabled: YES

Plug and Play service: disabled

AMD CPU/SATA drivers: disabled

Remote Desktop services: enabled

Remote Management services: disabled

Netowrk related services: enabled

Windows Management Instrumentation: disabled

(this setup gives: 30 process; 331 threads; cca 8900 handles)

I’m still in GUI mode and that is because I never use TC before and don’t know how to play music or import albums with it. My music is on an external HDD. Even setting a library in JRiver is a bit complicated task for me because I never could set it the way I use to it ( list of folders with authors/albums…) saw somewhere that is easy but still didn’t try it. Unfortunately not enough time for everything…

Comparing KS and ASIO:

Reading this post many of you are using KS as a better, more direct way between PC and DAC. But in my case with ASIO sound is much more open. Cymbals have more (longer) decay…Soundstage is resolving with more air between instruments and all that with full bodied sound… I stayed with ASIO. (KS sounded much more darker or quieter, less lively… )

SS/DF:

This was a hard one… After a month of trying A-D/1-4, at the end I realize that X/X is best sounding in my system… at least coloration of any kind…

No emphasizing… just a “flat” sound… equal amount of low, mid and high tones in any of listened recordings that I used for testing. To me, that sounded like most natural sound…

-guitar strings sounded precise, sharp, crisp, detailed…

-double bass/ electric bass sounded deep but focused and resolving

- Drums sounded clear, stayed behind but with authority and every hit was powerful but not overtaking the rest of soundstage..

-vocals sounded “real” with clearly audible inhaling/exhaling and breathing while singing

- piano is complex instrument.. a combination of percussion( hummer and pedals) and string instrument (simplified explanation, maybe not the accurate one) sounded clear, filling the room.. Great presence of all instruments and vocals overall…

Sound never sounded fatiguing in any moment no matter witch type of music was playing, and it was “full bodied” sound all time

Music used:

*Stevie Ray Vaughn:

-Couldn’t Stand The Weather SACD ISO

-The Sky Is Crying SACD ISO

-In Step SACD ISO

*Manu Katche – Neighborhood

*Brian Bromberg – Wood

*Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadic – Krusevo

*Patricia Barber:

- Modern Cool (MFSL) SACD

-Nightclub (MFSL) SACD

- Verse (MFSL) SACD

-Companion (MFSL) SACD

* Jacintha

- Jacintha - Autumn Leaves [XRCD2]

- Jacintha Goes To Hollywood

- Jacintha - Here's To Ben (1999) (XRCD)

*Isao Suzuki :

- Ako’s Dream (TBM) XRCD

-Black Orpheus

-Blow Up (TBM) XRCD

* Tsuyoshi Yamamoto:

- Misty XRCD (TBM)

- Girl Talk (TBM)

-Speak Low

- Midnight Sugar (TBM) XRCD

- Autumn In Seattle (TBM) XRCD

* Anouar Brahem – Astounding eyes of Rita (ECM)

* Rabih Abou – Khalil

- Journey To The Centre Of An Egg (ENJA)

- Morton’s Foot (ENJA)

Sumary:

AO is a great product. In my system changes it made were clearly and audibly noticeable. Nothing like a “wow” effect but it did put a smile on my face. Records sounded less digital, more analog like… noise floor was lowered down. Sound stage is little better. More air between instruments. All in all much more enjoyable sound overall. Does it worth $130? Absolutely!

Thank you Phill!

Regards

Marko