IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Yes. Just type "js" at any time to access JPLAY Settings.

Is that a shortcut that Phil introduced in AO 1.30? It doesn't work for me in 1.26.

If that doesn't work for you Audioclyde, the default path to JPlay settings is "C:\JPLAY\jplaysettings.exe". You can type this into a cmd prompt. I created a batch file that I just called "jplay" so I wouldn't have to type the whole path repeatedly.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

The only setting I changed in AO is enabling SEHOP, and I'm back to the Extreme engine and 4D. Apparently disabling the SEHOP was my main problem. I'm working on the house today, so I have no real listening time to get into real detail.

What is the setting question for SCSI-MiniPort Drivers and SPPSVC? I didn't see them 2 times through in Ultimate mode?

I re-enabled SEHOP with 4D and find that the sound is a bit more in the direction that I was enjoying with 1.25. It is still not quite as engaging for me but probably does have more detail than in 1.25. The presentation has more sound stage depth but is still a bit thin in my own system. Better though!

Thanks to those who have contributed helpful suggestions.

BTW. Phil. You said "Instead of using an older version of AO one could just skip the new features like SCSI-MiniPort Drivers, SEHOP, SPPSVC, etc.". Could you elaborate a bit on "etc"? Would this be contained in the change log mentioned above?

Also if you have already installed 1.30 will running AO again and making different choices reverse of these changes? If so could you not approximate 1.25 if you knew what to choose?

Thanks.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I agree with you Mourip... I went back into gui mode due to every once in a while after an AO update I have to hit the power button twice to shut down...annoying, but not anything AO is doing. So I went back into gui mode, decided to do any new Windows updates and then repackaged and enabled SEHOP and I have to say I'm liking the sound with it enabled much better. My low end came back to the system and has a slightly more full sound while still seeming to have all the extra detail 1.30 has to offer. At least I can't tell the difference in the layers of detail before or after enabling SEHOP.

I like it on, I would say anyone that is finding the new version not quite to your liking where it sounds a little bit thin, I would recommend redoing the optimizations again and enabling SEHOP.

Folks,

Apologies for my potential NOOB & RTFM question (I have not yet gone through these 42 pages), but ...

Is there a list of mobo's that work well with Win2012 + AO?

The AO manual at some stage states to update all drivers for you mobo/hardware to latest. When looking at plain 1150 socket boards (example: Motherboards - H81I-PLUS - ASUS), I do see Win7, Win8 & 8.1 but not Server2012...

How does one know a mobo is fit for purpose Server2012? Is Win8 adequately similar?

Thx!

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

MSI amd gigabyte are the most popular that work.

A z97I Ac. This is Itx mini the small ones. It has two LAN s only one will work. This is why a two LAN board is needed.

The ATX MSI full size work well as well.

I have built 4 units and I canist them but I do Recomend the one above.

Al

I agree with you Mourip... I went back into gui mode due to every once in a while after an AO update I have to hit the power button twice to shut down...annoying, but not anything AO is doing. So I went back into gui mode, decided to do any new Windows updates and then repackaged and enabled SEHOP and I have to say I'm liking the sound with it enabled much better. My low end came back to the system and has a slightly more full sound while still seeming to have all the extra detail 1.30 has to offer. At least I can't tell the difference in the layers of detail before or after enabling SEHOP.

I like it on, I would say anyone that is finding the new version not quite to your liking where it sounds a little bit thin, I would recommend redoing the optimizations again and enabling SEHOP.

Absolutely agree. Enabling allowed me to go back to my singlepc 1B setting and the magic is back + some. I was about to go back to 1.26 until I saw this.

I tried it on it off is subtle it's much more of a change from 1/a and 1/b. I do think this is system defendant. Add to this tube rolling and it is wonderfull to play and find new views of the same music. As some say it's new all over again. I wish it was this easy with wives lmao

look mom I used spell check.

Al

Yes, Al, you created a great saying: "system defendant". Sounds like most people's response....defending their systems, regardless.

I will have to go back and enable SEHOP on both controlpc and audiopc and report back.

Yes, Al, you created a great saying: "system defendant". Sounds like most people's response....defending their systems, regardless.

I will have to go back and enable SEHOP on both controlpc and audiopc and report back.

I am liking 1.30/4D more now that I have SEHOP re-enabled. I think that it is a bit more neutral than 1.25 and definitely has more detail. As far as tone I am still on the fence but I am definitely enjoying the music again and am not readily contemplating rolling back to 1.25.

I guess that the chase is part of the game too!

System

I have gone back and forth between 1.26 and 1.30 and found that I have a clear preference for the former. Enabling SEHOP on 1.30 made a positive difference in the sound, but for me, 1.26 has a natural, organic quality that is absent from 1.30. Phil has suggested that running 1.30 without using the new options should result in a sound similar to 1.26. That hasn't been my experience.

On the plus side, it is nearly impossible to describe how good 1.26 makes my system sound. Being an audiophile, I will continue to tinker with the system from time to time, but the reality is that with the level of reproduction I'm getting now, changes are more likely to degrade the sound than improve it.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I have gone back and forth between 1.26 and 1.30 and found that I have a clear preference for the former. Enabling SEHOP on 1.30 made a positive difference in the sound, but for me, 1.26 has a natural, organic quality that is absent from 1.30. Phil has suggested that running 1.30 without using the new options should result in a sound similar to 1.26. That hasn't been my experience.QUOTE]

Rats. Wish you had not said that. Although I called it tone I think that what I do miss is what you refer to as the "natural, organic" quality". With 1.25 I stopped listening to the equipment and just let the music happen. Not entirely the case now.

I will have to fire up Clonezilla now that I have wll honed hindsight and roll back to 1.25 to at least satisfy my curiosity...

System

Another thing to try if you are finding too much detail: turning off USB Optimization results in a slightly more relaxed and natural sound for me through my USB to SPDIF convertor.

I just tried disabling the USB optimization and YES the sound became more natural. I use Audiophilleo with PP between my PC and DAC.

Now I'm also wondering if any other settings should not be taken for granted since each system is unique.

I just tried disabling the USB optimization and YES the sound became more natural. I use Audiophilleo with PP between my PC and DAC.

Now I'm also wondering if any other settings should not be taken for granted since each system is unique.

Thanks! I tried that today and it brought me much closer to the engaging midrange I was enjoying with 1.26.

I just enjoyed the music...

When I get time I will try toggling some of the other settings to see how good it can get. I might even get brave and disable SEHOP again to see if it was unjustly accused :-)

System

Newbie here. I just dropped all my punch cards on the floor, help.

No really, I just finished building my first audio pc, and I have some questions. First, what I built is an AMD based mobo, an SSD hard drive for the OS (Windows Server 2012) and a SATA drive for all my music. My sound card is an ASUS essense xonar.

1. I used clonezilla, and put the cloned image on the sata drive. Is that right? I just put the drive with the clone image second in the boot menu.

I carefully followed all of audio Phils' instructions and the biggest problem I had was setting a Static IP address for my pc. Verizon is my ISP and for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, log in to your router and there you can set a static IP. Verizon tech help did not understand what I was talking about. Just kept saying that static IP's are for businesses. After all of that, I got the optimizer to install and work on the first try. And it sounds great! Very clean and detailed. Thank you, Phil. I do need some new headphones, though!

2. I am also using JRiver and dbpoweramp. Before I installed A/O, I was just using the internet to get the metadata for my cd's, but now I can't get on the 'net with my optimized pc. So my question is how do you import music on to your audio pc? What about buying music from a place that sells lossless quality music? How would you get it onto your optimized pc?

Thanks for all of your help.

No really, I just finished building my first audio pc, and I have some questions. First, what I built is an AMD based mobo, an SSD hard drive for the OS (Windows Server 2012) and a SATA drive for all my music. My sound card is an ASUS essense xonar.

1. I used clonezilla, and put the cloned image on the sata drive. Is that right? I just put the drive with the clone image second in the boot menu.

I carefully followed all of audio Phils' instructions and the biggest problem I had was setting a Static IP address for my pc. Verizon is my ISP and for those of you who haven't figured it out yet, log in to your router and there you can set a static IP. Verizon tech help did not understand what I was talking about. Just kept saying that static IP's are for businesses. After all of that, I got the optimizer to install and work on the first try. And it sounds great! Very clean and detailed. Thank you, Phil. I do need some new headphones, though!

2. I am also using JRiver and dbpoweramp. Before I installed A/O, I was just using the internet to get the metadata for my cd's, but now I can't get on the 'net with my optimized pc. So my question is how do you import music on to your audio pc? What about buying music from a place that sells lossless quality music? How would you get it onto your optimized pc?

Thanks for all of your help.

Hi,

you don't really need a static IP if you're running a single PC setup. Even if you decide to set a static IP address it has nothing to do with your internet service provider who gives you a dynamic(or static) IP for your ROUTER and NOT for your PC. You need a static IP address for your audio PC only if you use a two PC setup when your control PC is connected DIRECTLY to your audio PC with the network cable bypassing the router.

Most likely you cannot get to the internet from your audio PC if you disable the network services (that's probably what you did).

Bottom line, if you run a single PC setup do not set a static IP and Do NOT disable the network services and you will be able to connect to the internet.

I hope I understood your problem correctly. Anybody, please correct me if I 'm wrong.

best wishes,

j

Another thing to try if you are finding too much detail: turning off USB Optimization results in a slightly more relaxed and natural sound for me through my USB to SPDIF convertor.

I am glad I continue to follow this thread and try things as you guys continue to enhance your experience of AO. I have been very happy with 1.30. However, I always had a very slight roll off at the top end. I believed since I was using a PPA usb card I should optimize my usb in AO. I followed aljordan's lead and disabled the usb optimization and.......BINGO! My slight roll off on the top end is gone. With that is slightly more relaxed sound and flawless, more detailed top end. :))

So many settings that effect one another. I will continue to explore the possibilities and have fun!

I am adding an ifi idsd micro this week. Looking forward to that. Thanks everyone for posting your experiences.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

I finally got around to testing USB optimization. I'd always gone with the recommendation to turn it on, so I tried disabling it on my Control & Audio PC's. The sound lost focus and contrast. After only a few minutes of listening, I turned it back on.

I highly value the experience of high frequencies emerging from a black background - kind of like dynamic range, but for timbre instead of loudness. USB optimization makes a significant contribution to that quality without dulling the sound at all.

These preferences are of course personal & system dependent. I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. I still find that the best sound I've heard is with AO 1.26, running 4D and USB Optimization on both servers.

How are things going jazzer60?

Did you get the Internet working on you computer again? As for organizing and importing your music, regardless if it comes from CD's or a download retailer, you'll want to decide on a specific folder (location) and move all of it there. Then you can instruct JRiver to regularly scan that folder and it will determine if you've made any additions or deletions from it.

Beyond that, JRiver has an extraordinary set of tools to assist you wlth the maintenance of your music library.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the hobby. AO is an extraordinary piece of software. You're off to a great start!

These preferences are of course personal & system dependent. I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. I still find that the best sound I've heard is with AO 1.26, running 4D and USB Optimization on both servers.

I have not tried the current JPlay two server model that seems to be popular, although in the past I have tried something similar under Linux using NetJack (which uses a networking protocol with lower overhead than TCP/IP), a powerful computer as the control PC to handle convolution needs, connected to a low power, highly optimized PC as the player.

I imagine that unless one has music stored on USB drives connected to the control PC, USB would not be in the audio loop at all on that box. So my initial thought is that USB optimization would not be desired on the control PC if it optimizes available resources towards something that is not being used in the audio path. I don't know your exact configuration, but do you hear a positive difference with USB optimization enabled on the control PC as well?

Thanks,

Alan

I had that same question several months ago when USB optimization was first introduced. Should it be enabled on both servers in a dual server configuration when I'm only using USB on the AudioPC?

AudioPhil recommended (earlier in this forum I believe) that it should be enabled on both machines.

I haven't tried enabling USB optimization on only one server, but I definitely didn't care for the sound of it turned off on both of them. Changing the setting certainly did have an impact though. It wasn't one of those things I had to convince myself that I was hearing.

Hi,

I have a single PC setup with Server 2012, AO, Paul Pang USB, jRiver, Lampizator Big7, and jPlay. I just added a linear PSU. This system sounds incredible. Better by far than my Mark Levinson Reference 31.5 Transport and 30.6 DAC ever did when comparing Redbook to Redbook. And really no comparison at all when playing DSD and HiRez PCM. I have plans to add a Mini Zuma as the Audio PC. I'm sure from the comments posted here that I'll really appreciate and love Jplay and AO in the two PC setup.

But I've also been reading about the Auralic Aires. It would cost about the same as the Audio PC. It would seem to be much simpler to use and implement than the two PC setup I'm contemplating. I've read many favorable comments about the Aires.

The Question: Does anyone expect the Aires to perform as well or better than the Two PC AO Server 2012 setup could? Could simpler be better SQ as well as simplifying your system? Does anyone know if the reviews of the Aires are written by writers who have at least heard the aformentioned system with Dual PCs?

One advantage I see (or weakness) is the endless tweaking the Dual PC setup can entail to get the best performance. One can only apply the tweeks, listen and decide what combo sounds best in your system. (I do find it sort of fun, but a pain to get it all working as well?

Just wondering what the Dual jPlay AO Server 2012 PC users think?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel