IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Just received my e22 the other day. Only have a few hours on it, but so far fantastic. I'm burning in a Hegel HD12 at the same time, and the comparison is difficult because they sound VERY different. But right out of the box the smoothness of the exaSound is unbelievable, especially on vocals. I didn't even realize I cared about smoothness that much until I heard this baby...

Two questions, the first rather stupid: Is it possible to turn off the display? The second: anyone know if the JRemote volume control plug-in will be available for OSX anytime soon?

Glad you are enjoying your e22. Are you using JRiver as playback software, per your signature? If so, try HQPlayer (30-day free trial) and upconvert PCM to DSD. I think I was using poly-Sinc 7. In my PC the difference between this and JRiver converting to DSD was very significant, and I found the e22 playing DSD shines in comparison to it playing PCM.

I think this is a great DAC if you are using a laptop as server. In my case, with a very optimized PC I found the e22 + HQPlayer performed very, very close to WS2012+Optimizer+JRiver playing PCM into Audiophilleo+Metrum Octave so I'm selling it, but I can see how this would be a great match with other types of servers.

No you can't turn off the display, I wish you could. Wait until you get about 400 hours on it, it just keeps getting better. I ran mine 24/7 for 30 days. Also USB cables do make a difference on the e22, no matter what George of exeSound says. The cable shipped with it is OK, but lacking in bass and not as smooth in the treble as with some better cables. I settled on the Audioquest Diamond as it showed up in many peoples top 10 USB cable roundups. I'm sure their are others as good or better out there, but I'm happy with it, for now. Great bass and smooth treble with good details aplenty. Enjoy.

Pocobear, I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what exa says about their DACs, do try them with different USB cables. Audioquest Diamond USB was a terrific upgrade in my system. Amazing textures and smooth vocals rise with glory... The bottom end is incredibly detailed, punchy and fast and the highs are marvelous.

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Think I might need to upgrade my RAM before I go down that road, but thanks for reminding me; I didn't realize there was a free trial. Cheers!

I'm sure the 30 Day Free Trial program at exaSound helps to explain their success. Might be tough to send it back once you start enjoying downloads with these DACs! :)

The exaSound N1 ASIO Driver for Windows Sever 2012-R2 is now available for download on the exaSound website. Please try it and let us know about your impressions.

I have WS2012 R2 and have the e22 with the previous driver, the G3. What differences should I expect from the N1? Differences in the way it sounds, or "just" an easier installation path?

Thanks

I'm sure the 30 Day Free Trial program at exaSound helps to explain their success. Might be tough to send it back once you start enjoying downloads with these DACs! :)

Yeah, I don't think I'm sending this one back. Pretty sure no amount of burn-in on the Hegel is gonna catch it up to this baby. Sigh.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

I have WS2012 R2 and have the e22 with the previous driver, the G3. What differences should I expect from the N1? Differences in the way it sounds, or "just" an easier installation path?

Thanks

The G3 driver relies on the .Net framework. This makes the compatibility with different Windows platforms difficult because they rely on different versions of .Net. The new N1 driver doesn't require .Net at all. N1 is faster to load and it uses less memory. There are many improvements, we are looking for feedback on the sonic performance.

The G3 driver relies on the .Net framework. This makes the compatibility with different Windows platforms difficult because they rely on different versions of .Net. The new N1 driver doesn't require .Net at all. N1 is faster to load and it uses less memory. There are many improvements, we are looking for feedback on the sonic performance.

Will the Windows version of the N1 driver be available to try in beta test soon?

Will the Windows version of the N1 driver be available to try in beta test soon?

You can go ahead and use this version, it will work on all versions of Windows, however we've called it a "beta" for other Windows versions as it has not been fully tested outside of Windows server.

If you are using your e28 DAC together with other 5.1 or 7.1 sources, are you using a 7.1 channel switcher to connect to your pre-amp or amp? If so, which switcher are you using?

I'm using a Bryston SP3 pre-pro but I have two (an Exasound e-28 would make it three) sources that output 7.1 channel analog information (SACD and Blu-Ray); but the Bryston, like most pre/pro's only has a single 7.1 analog input.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

If you are using your e28 DAC together with other 5.1 or 7.1 sources, are you using a 7.1 channel switcher to connect to your pre-amp or amp? If so, which switcher are you using?

I'm using a Bryston SP3 pre-pro but I have two (an Exasound e-28 would make it three) sources that output 7.1 channel analog information (SACD and Blu-Ray); but the Bryston, like most pre/pro's only has a single 7.1 analog input.

I'm using the EMM Labs Switchman II 6 Channel switcher with the exaSound e28, Oppo 105 disc player and a few other components. Works - and sounds - great.

I am using an Audio Research MP1 preamp which has 3 5.1 inputs. I also have a Zektor MAS 7.1 which has 3 7.1 inputs and 3 HDMI inputs but it is only a switch and no volume control.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I send everything to the e28 via JRiver and Dirac Live in the PC with balanced output to the amps. I did consider a balanced switcher to enable e28 or prepro connection to the amps, but I found I was able to totally eliminate the prepro. I considered the following, which allows two inputs to be switched via remote:

AB-8 8-Channel Mic / Line Switcher - Catalog - Whirlwind

DB 25 to XLR cable snakes are required for the connection.

Just took delivery of an e22 and liking what I'm hearing so far. However, one of the things I was looking forward to trying is ASIO drivers on the Mac - but I can't seem to get this working on the latest version of Decibel and Yosemite OSX on a 2011 Mac Mini. Works in Core Audio but then when I switch to ASIO (both Exa drivers and Decibel preferences), Decibel refuses to play any tracks and I get an error message. Also downloaded a trial version of HQplayer and ASIO seems to work on that - but it's kind of annoying that the trial version only runs for 30 minutes at a time. Not sure I'll be buying it because it's quite expensive and I'm not a big believer in upsampling so I doubt I'd use all of its features...

So - anyone out there having issues using ASIO in Decibel? Any insights?

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

Just took delivery of an e22 and liking what I'm hearing so far. However, one of the things I was looking forward to trying is ASIO drivers on the Mac - but I can't seem to get this working on the latest version of Decibel and Yosemite OSX on a 2011 Mac Mini. Works in Core Audio but then when I switch to ASIO (both Exa drivers and Decibel preferences), Decibel refuses to play any tracks and I get an error message. Also downloaded a trial version of HQplayer and ASIO seems to work on that - but it's kind of annoying that the trial version only runs for 30 minutes at a time. Not sure I'll be buying it because it's quite expensive and I'm not a big believer in upsampling so I doubt I'd use all of its features...

So - anyone out there having issues using ASIO in Decibel? Any insights?

On the contrary, I can't use Core Audio with the same setup as yours. Please quit Decibel, choose ASIO from the exa drivers and restart your Mac.

You will see a message: "ASIO drivers installed". Recheck 'Audio MIDI Setup' and select exaSound. All other music players, even iTunes, must be not loaded. Then start Decibel and choose also ASIO in the preferences pane. It should play. Never had a problem under Decibel / ASIO /Mac.

Roch

On the contrary, I can't use Core Audio with the same setup as yours. Please quit Decibel, choose ASIO from the exa drivers and restart your Mac.

You will see a message: "ASIO drivers installed". Recheck 'Audio MIDI Setup' and select exaSound. All other music players, even iTunes, must be not loaded. Then start Decibel and choose also ASIO in the preferences pane. It should play. Never had a problem under Decibel / ASIO /Mac.

Roch

Thanks for your input. I wish it were that simple. I have repeated all of those steps numerous times and still no dice. The opposite of you - Core Audio works fine, ASIO just gives me error messages...

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

Hi Vinyl.

I also have an e22, but tried it on a Windows machine. I like it, but decided to stay with my current setup. Nevertheless, I found the best results upconverting PCM to DSD with HQPlayer and feeding that natively to the e22. So if you like the e22 make sure you try that despite the trial version interruptions, or the user interface, etc. if interested you can check out my posts and the answers I received in this same thread, very useful for finding the best settings in HQPlayer right away.

Cheers

Hi Vinyl.

I also have an e22, but tried it on a Windows machine. I like it, but decided to stay with my current setup. Nevertheless, I found the best results upconverting PCM to DSD with HQPlayer and feeding that natively to the e22. So if you like the e22 make sure you try that despite the trial version interruptions, or the user interface, etc. if interested you can check out my posts and the answers I received in this same thread, very useful for finding the best settings in HQPlayer right away.

Cheers

Well perhaps while I'm in the trial period I'll see what upsampling to DSD sounds like. Upsampling is just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me, but I'll give it a try.

Well perhaps while I'm in the trial period I'll see what upsampling to DSD sounds like. Upsampling is just one of those things that doesn't make sense to me, but I'll give it a try.

IMHO it's mostly about how benign the digital filter can be. Filters for DSD are more benign than filters for PCM, so that one significant plus for DSD.

As you push the sample frequency up, the information / signals that you have to filter out are higher frequency, and the higher frequency filters are less damaging to the sound than lower frequency filters. This is the case for PCM and DSD

Then Miska brings his special sauce in the choice of modulators and these have quite a significant impact on the "air", reverberations and perceived realism of the playback

Highly recommend to invest some time to try out :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Geoff Armstrong and I had a long session today listening to his E22 using HQ Player with both 16/44 converted to DSD256 and DSD64 converted to DSD 256

Good DSD 64 recordings upsampled to DSD 256 sound simply stunning

the post is here http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/direct-stream-digital-myth-busted-22375/index9.html#post371334

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

We’ve been familiar with exaSound for some time, but the company’s stereo e22 digital-to-analog converter is new to me and arrived three weeks ago. I love it. Setting up the interface with the computer was effortless, and we found the exaSound software interface meshes nicely with J River. Given my job in recent weeks, checking our new 256fs DSD files (Quad DSD) for release on NativeDSD.com, I have spent considerable time with the e22.

It was musical out of the box. George Klissarov, the designer at exaSound, told me that the units are only broken in for 24 hours before shipping (reminiscent of a tube burn-in in the Navy to check for defects in the “good old days”). So the e22’s initial musicality impressed me. After a couple hundred hours it is liquid and transparent at the same time. Clean recordings sound really clean. Dark recordings sound dark. Bright edgy recordings sound bright and edgy. The e22 demonstrated all of these characteristics with Miles Davis’ famous Porgy and Bess. What more could a producer want than a component that tells us the truth?

We’ve been using the a-synchronous USB connection the most, given we’ve been working on DSD files, but the coaxial output from a simple CD player works beautifully and sounds great as well. George designed this DAC to play whatever format it is fed, all the way up to high resolution PCM (384kHz at 32bit) and DSD files up to 11.2896 / 12.288 MHz (Quad DSD or DSD256) without breaking a sweat. The unit plays any file of which I’ve heard, also including some of those “less glamorous” portable formats in lower resolution which we hope fewer and fewer people use in favor of lossless formats.

I listen through a number of vacuum tubes in preamplification and power amplification in the “big system,” but I also check all our new files on a passive transformer volume control directly to a solid state amplifier. The exaSound’s elegant and easy to use internal volume control allowed us to omit the transformer volume control and plug from the exaSound directly into the amplifier. Again, a very happy and informative combination.

We are grateful to exaSound for underwriting our first quartet of DSD releases at NativeDSD.com (The exaSound Quartet), but I didn’t own the e22 at the time. Next Friday (December 12th ) marks the release of our Merging Technologies Quartet of DSD releases, and these we were able to check and thoroughly enjoy using the e22. In the meantime, the exaSound Quartet can be sampled at https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/ Thank you George!

For more information about the e22, please visit www.exaSound.com

Bob Attiyeh, producer

Yarlung Records

www.yarlungrecords.com

Not yet, but my plan is to either build a 3-way loudspeakers + dual-sub, or strip out cross-over from an existing passive design, such these:

Divine 100.49 Walnut

99.36 MKII Piano

Most likely I would end up stripping down an existing one...

Yes, Acourate (or Audiolense XO). For room correction part at least, maybe initially for cross-overs too.

I was never excited with XTZ, but the divine project looks nice.

The passive options looks great. I could use my Lyngdorf dac/amp and add a new one, and voilá!

Thanks for showing me this possible direction.