IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

Ed, why do you have a conventional USB cable plugged into the Corning and the DAC? Does it sound better then just the Corning?

Also, while I can not speak about the TQBD USB cable I, and a few others, have to disagree about your assessment of the "color" of the TDD1 USB cable. I, we, have heard it in a VERY revealing, resolving and neutral system and none of us found it "sharp" in any way. Though I do hear that the TQBD is exceptional.

As you said in another post it all depends on each of our ears, and personal taste.

Hi Al,

May be sharp is the wrong word, less call it more impactful ;-)

I agree with all of the words you have written to describe the TDD1. All I am saying is someone with horn speakers would probably prefer the TQBD, and some one with LS3/5a would probably be happier with a TDD1

Geoffrey Armstrong is a very good listener and goes to a lot of concerts. He can detect right away when the timbre of an instrument is different on a recording from the timbre when the instrument is live. All speakers are voiced by their designers, amp and DAC's have their voicing signature too. So what we have is a sound color river and what Geoff is trying to do is to get the final product reaching our brain as close as possible to the color of the live instrument. With the Corning USB in the chain, blocking the RF from PC or Renderer, we have new possibilities to adjust the sound palate by using different well regarded USB cables.

On our system, the Corning USB improved the sound of each cable we connected it to, and it sounds great by itself as well.

by the way last week I tested HQ Player DSD128 on the DC-37 and DSD256 on the PDP-3000. Our Exasound's are clearly the king of the DSD256 hill :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

The sound is being played from a buffer on the DAC, and the cable just fills that buffer. I'm curious how a USB cable would produce a sonic improvement for this application under normal circumstances (e.g. you dont have a pirate radio transmitter or RADAR in your livingroom..)

This is something that's been discussed countless times here in many threads. There are measurable effects from changes of USB cables (yes, even async USB, and of course all DACs are designed with buffers) that have been explained by engineers here on a very sophisticated technical level. These accord with well known published research papers about mechanisms of distortion in digital audio. *However*, there is no definitive scientific proof these effects are audible, and so that is where the conversation always founders, with folks who hear differences feeling insulted their hearing or intelligence is being questioned, and folks who don't hear differences in suitably structured testing feeling exasperated that objective evidence is being questioned or ignored.

So why don't we cut to the chase and say it's really fine for you to pursue what you think is the best course, and ditto for everyone else here?

And oh yes, get back on topic as well.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

No I'm not. The first E20, including mine, has this switch. They must have removed it after the first ones.

Sorry but you are mistaken. The e20 MK III, e28 MK I and MK II and the e22 MK I and MK II have no such switch and its Galvanic Isolation is built in. Actually the e20 MK II or MK I had no such switch.

Also I (and others I know) have heard the benefits of the TotalDAC USB Cable and some of the other USB cables I mentioned to you in the above post in other systems with other DACs.

Such as a Meitner MA-1 DAC, which is one of the best designed Galvanic Isolated USB DACs.

OK, but even on exaSounds web site showing the rear of the e20 it shows no switch and mentions no switch. Also I can not recall any reviews I read ever mentioning it.

So it must have been a small run.

But again you own one with it so obviously some of them have it.

Strange option to have. I do not see the point of it.

A ground lift I understand but not this.

Oh, NO pirate radio, transmitter, Radar, nada, zilch of any kind nearby. Instead of coming up with supposed reasons and comments try a few USB cables that have a return policy out and see why so many NAY sayers have become converts.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Fair enough. Maybe an expensive USB cable will change my sound, but without a scientific, measurable reason I'll choose to spend my money elsewhere.

If I found a local dealer that wanted to give me a loan, I'd jump on the opportunity. HQPlayer, Mogami cable, and a linear power supply are on my radar next. Maybe after that, I'll consider calling around to a few places locally to borrow one.

Anyway back on topic :)

OK, but even on exaSounds web site showing the rear of the e20 it shows no switch and mentions no switch. Also I can not recall any reviews I read ever mentioning it.

So it must have been a small run.

But again you own one with it so obviously some of them have it.

Strange option to have. I do not see the point of it.

A ground lift I understand but not this.

Oh, NO pirate radio, transmitter, Radar, nada, zilch of any kind nearby. Instead of coming up with supposed reasons and comments try a few USB cables that have a return policy out and see why so many NAY sayers have become converts.

Fair enough. Maybe an expensive USB cable will change my sound, but without a scientific, measurable reason I'll choose to spend my money elsewhere.

If I found a local dealer that wanted to give me a loan, I'd jump on the opportunity. HQPlayer, Mogami cable, and a linear power supply are on my radar next. Maybe after that, I'll consider calling around to a few places locally to borrow one.

Anyway back on topic :)

Just noting, before getting back on topic, a couple of options re USB cables if at some point you wanted to explore that (I'm not trying to persuade you, just offering suggestions in case you decide to):

- The Cable Company offers in-home auditions for a fee which can be applied toward purchase if you decide you want to buy.

- Mapleshade offers a satisfaction guarantee on its USB cable, I believe 30 days. I think there is a charge for returning, but as the purchase price isn't that high ($135 for the "Plus" version if I recall correctly), neither is the charge.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The exaSound N1 ASIO Driver for Windows Sever 2012-R2 is now available for download on the exaSound website. Please try it and let us know about your impressions.

Hi

Just got an e20 from a customer from germany to test and enjoy it for a few weeks. How can i get a login to download the latest drivers (for server 2012 R2)?

Thanks a lot,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi

Just got an e20 from a customer from germany to test and enjoy it for a few weeks. How can i get a login to download the latest drivers (for server 2012 R2)?

Thanks a lot,

Phil

Phil,

I sent you an email.

Ted

Thanks Jud!

Just noting, before getting back on topic, a couple of options re USB cables if at some point you wanted to explore that (I'm not trying to persuade you, just offering suggestions in case you decide to):

- The Cable Company offers in-home auditions for a fee which can be applied toward purchase if you decide you want to buy.

- Mapleshade offers a satisfaction guarantee on its USB cable, I believe 30 days. I think there is a charge for returning, but as the purchase price isn't that high ($135 for the "Plus" version if I recall correctly), neither is the charge.

Just received the 3' balanced Mogami Gold XLR cables. As previously mentioned, I found a 30' cheap mic cable (balanced xlr) connected to the Exasound was an improvement in clarity over the 4' single ended bluejeans cable from DAC to ASP. I wanted to see what a real balanced XLR cable could do. Just connected it up, and the improvement is immediately noticeable. The mic cable, while brighter and clearer than the Blue Jeans unbalanced cables, was definitely not neutral (bright). The Mogami is in another league. silky perfect reverb details, clearity without being bright. If any of you Exasound owners can use the XLR outputs, I strongly suggest checking these out. Big upgrade over my unbalanced configuration. Definitely the last DAC to ASP interconnects I'll ever buy.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone here using Server 2012 and JRiver/JRemote? It seems the volume sync plugin doesn't work on Server 2012. It doesn't work in system or application mode, only internal volume mode (which sounds horrible).

Exasound isn't planning to investigate this issue, so before I have to uninstall Server 2012 and reinstall windows 8 all over again (ugh), I just want to confirm its not only me.

Never had any problems with JRemote and Volumen on server 2012 R2.

anyhow, it would be much better go just set EVERYTHING in the digital domain to 100% and ONLY regulate the volume with the last (analog) point in your chain. That's how you'll get the best SQ.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Is anyone here using Server 2012 and JRiver/JRemote? It seems the volume sync plugin doesn't work on Server 2012. It doesn't work in system or application mode, only internal volume mode (which sounds horrible).

Exasound isn't planning to investigate this issue, so before I have to uninstall Server 2012 and reinstall windows 8 all over again (ugh), I just want to confirm its not only me.

Yes, I've used it on WS2012 and it worked fine.

Never had any problems with JRemote and Volumen on server 2012 R2.

anyhow, it would be much better go just set EVERYTHING in the digital domain to 100% and ONLY regulate the volume with the last (analog) point in your chain. That's how you'll get the best SQ.

There is more than one way to do things right. According to ESS, the volume control built in the original Sabre chip (the ES9018S, not the newer low-cost modifications SABRE9018AQ2M / ES9018K2M / SABRE9018Q2C) is as good as an analogue volume control with 130 dB S/H ratio. It is quite hard to find such analogue volume control, but if you have it you can use the volume bypass of the exaSound DACs. We give you a choice, you can experiment and use the volume control that's best for you.

We recommend connecting our DACs directly to a power amplifier without using a preamp, so it is the last analog point in your chain. Here is how the exaSound volume control works:

The exaSound drivers are completely independent from the Windows /Mac OS X software volume control. Audio data is always bitstreamed over the USB interface at full scale 0db/32bit resolution. Volume processing is performed by the DAC chip right at the border between the digital and the analogue domains. This architecture offers signal to noise ratio comparable to the best analogue volume controls and virtually no loss of digital resolution. Setting the volume to 0dB turns all volume processing off and sets the device in volume bypass mode.

The volume level changes in steps of 0.5 dB. The master volume can be controlled from the computer screen, the DAC front panel or by using an IR Remote of your choice. Our DACs can be trained to work with any IR remote. With our Volume Synchronization Plug-in the volume can also be controlled from within JRiver for Windows and JRemote. All these volume control points are synchronized, so for example if you lower the volume with your IR remote, the DAC display will show the new volume level. At the same time the volume sliders in JRiver, JRemote and the exaSound Dashboard will be adjusted accordingly.

There is more than one way to do things right.

I am going to go Inigo Montoya one better: You keep saying that sentence. I think it means exactly what you think it means. :)

There must be something buggered up with my install then.

When I get home I'll blow it away and reinstall. Hopefully that will fix it.

BTW I am perfectly happy with the way Exasound has implemented their volume control. Its quite elegant, especially with the maximum volume limiter in the recent builds. That feature (Thanks George!!) has saved me from blowing up my speakers twice this year already.

Cheers.

Yes, I've used it on WS2012 and it worked fine.

Hi all, I saw over 6 months ago remarks from ExaSound that Linux driver was in beta and soon to be released.

I am using LMS server and all running Linux (Ubuntu) with Squeezelite playing out to USB to a DAC (currently Benchmark DAC2) ... Am actually pretty happy with the sound, but Benchmark DAC2 (both in windows as well on linux) effectively makes pauses of over 1seconds when switching from song with one sample rate to another (e.g. from 96khz to 44.1) ... all that can be automatically inserted by Squeezelite so sound is still good, but 1second pauses are irritating as my HiRes content grows.

Secondly, ExaSound seems to be getting awesome reputation playing DSD files and does 352/384 kHz so seems much more time resistant then DAC2.

Anyhow, long story short - with no Linux driver, I am not sure if it would work at all (most other DACs work only as UAC2 compliant DACs so no issues there with likes of Benchmark) without special driver ... i could gladly live with no volume control or control panel that exasound provides but just be able to send unaltered music and ideally control volum via ALSA which squeezelite can do.

Thank you !

Hi all, I saw over 6 months ago remarks from ExaSound that Linux driver was in beta and soon to be released.

I am using LMS server and all running Linux (Ubuntu) with Squeezelite playing out to USB to a DAC (currently Benchmark DAC2) ... Am actually pretty happy with the sound, but Benchmark DAC2 (both in windows as well on linux) effectively makes pauses of over 1seconds when switching from song with one sample rate to another (e.g. from 96khz to 44.1) ... all that can be automatically inserted by Squeezelite so sound is still good, but 1second pauses are irritating as my HiRes content grows.

Secondly, ExaSound seems to be getting awesome reputation playing DSD files and does 352/384 kHz so seems much more time resistant then DAC2.

Anyhow, long story short - with no Linux driver, I am not sure if it would work at all (most other DACs work only as UAC2 compliant DACs so no issues there with likes of Benchmark) without special driver ... i could gladly live with no volume control or control panel that exasound provides but just be able to send unaltered music and ideally control volum via ALSA which squeezelite can do.

Thank you!

BTW, I am also using LMS server and with Squeezelite playing out to USB to an e20 MkIII DAC. This is by a large margin the best player I've heard on my system, although I prefer Audirvana's interface more (1.5.12). It's more relaxed and natural sounding! The Squeezelite is, unlike Audirvana, a native DSD player!!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

BTW, I am also using LMS server and with Squeezelite playing out to USB to an e20 MkIII DAC. This is by a large margin the best player I've heard on my system, although I prefer Audirvana's interface more (1.5.12). It's more relaxed and natural sounding! The Squeezelite is, unlike Audirvana, a native DSD player!!

Have you tried HQ Player converting PCM to DSD256 ?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]