IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

The relatively high output from my Auralic has been an issue, absolutely drove my Job 225 amp nuts running direct. I'm investigating a more 'simpatico' match for the Vega and will report if/when I discover a 'match made in heaven'.

MacBook Air > microRendu > Chord Hugo 2 > Fostex TH900 MKII

While I'm bowled over by the Vega's DAC performance, I'm not quite convinced that the footers on the unit are substantial enough to be optimally effective in vibration isolation. I've not opened 'the lid" on the Vega, and there might be something more substantial going on internally in terms of decoupling from any platform vibration. Any of you finding success with alternative footers? I could spend a small fortune on a separate component platform, but am disinclined.

The relatively high output from my Auralic has been an issue, absolutely drove my Job 225 amp nuts running direct. I'm investigating a more 'simpatico' match for the Vega and will report if/when I discover a 'match made in heaven'.

The Vega is unusual in having a 4V unbalanced output, when 2V is more typical.

You could try something like this:

Harrison Labs 12 dB RCA Line Level Attenuator Pair | 266-244

Here's a list of commercial attenuators:

Connecting directly to a power amplifier - SqueezeboxWiki

While I'm bowled over by the Vega's DAC performance, I'm not quite convinced that the footers on the unit are substantial enough to be optimally effective in vibration isolation. I've not opened 'the lid" on the Vega, and there might be something more substantial going on internally in terms of decoupling from any platform vibration. Any of you finding success with alternative footers? I could spend a small fortune on a separate component platform, but am disinclined.

I've had success using a combination of these two inexpensive options below for component isolation:

Ayre Myrtlewood Blocks as feet (found here: AYRE MYRTLE WOOD BLOCKS (SET OF 3) at Music Direct )

The wood feet seem to do pretty good for floor related vibrations

&

Cork Yoga exercise blocks as Mass Loading devices ( found at Amazon)

The Cork blocks are a few pounds each and seem to do a good job at soaking up any chassis related vibrations. I use X 2 of them on top of each of my amplifiers.

You could get all of the above parts for under $30 if using them for just the DAC.

Mine is a wonderful match with my 2A3 amp running at 3.5 watts into 100 dB speakers (SS bi-amped woofers).

I use mine with Herbie's Tenderfoot Feet with good results…

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

i'm really glad I picked up the Auralic as I got me thinking about preamps. I know a friend who has the Job amp and RAVES about it. He, like myself, also has a Tortuga LDR. I'm in heaven, leaving resistor-based attenuators back in the 20th century.

The hot output is perfect for the LDR too.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Thanks to all responders. CJF, I could just raid my wife's vast stash of yoga props, I'm pretty sure she's got at least a couple of the items you described. Like Inferno, I'm a fan of Herbie's footers and will see if I've got a spare pair of Tenderfeet in a drawer somewhere, don't know why they didn't occur to me. As for the dubious matchup of other components with the Vega, I've gotten Vinnie at Red Wine Audio to build me a Signature 57 integrated amp, with an optional tube input stage. Vinnie has seen the Vega output numbers and is supremely confident that it'll be a fine pairing. The Job 225 will get kicked upstairs to system #2 and I'll probably put the Dodd preamp up for sale.

Sounds awesome. I'm getting the new regulator put in my LDR, and I use a battery now.

Hifi, did you see the massive Job amp thread over at audioshark.org forum?

Aumacoustics is making a special version of the Tortuga preamp to be used with a Hynes or Pardo LPSU too.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Can Vega owners post their experiences with PCM2DSD?

I can play DSD64, DSD128, and PCM upsampled to 352kHz with EXACT clock, but PCM2DSD always results in white noise erupting at times; it's unstable.

I posted earlier that I was also getting dropouts with 44kHz material on EXACT, but never on 352kHz. I re-tested this by watching movies in JRMC upsampling the DSP'd audio to 352 with no problems.

Any other players do PCM2DSD? Foobar? HQPlayer?

I use these... They fit perfectly over the existing Auralic feet and stick to the bottom. Look good also.

Fisual Round Adhesive Isolation Pads: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hifi, did you see the massive Job amp thread over at audioshark.org forum?

Aumacoustics is making a special version of the Tortuga preamp to be used with a Hynes or Pardo LPSU too.

I already was interested in buying a Job 225 amp, but after reading a bit in the audioshark.org forum my interest has been increased quite a bit! On the Aumacoustics site I've seen my "dream combo" (Chord Hugo/JOB 225).... ;)

I am interested in a 3-4k price range dac that will do pcm and dsd, and accept mulitple inputs. The Auralic Vega seems to be a one of the most feature rich and well-reviewed dacs out there. I don't particularly like usb, as my experience with it has been that it requires more frequent rebooting and fiddling than some interfaces. I know SPDIF is not particularly favored, but my RENDU works so well and so reliably that I am loathe to go back to a USB interface. Anyone used the Auralic Vega with SPDIF inputs and can share their experience with it?

Thanks very much,

Mark

I am interested in a 3-4k price range dac that will do pcm and dsd, and accept mulitple inputs. The Auralic Vega seems to be a one of the most feature rich and well-reviewed dacs out there. I don't particularly like usb, as my experience with it has been that it requires more frequent rebooting and fiddling than some interfaces. I know SPDIF is not particularly favored, but my RENDU works so well and so reliably that I am loathe to go back to a USB interface. Anyone used the Auralic Vega with SPDIF inputs and can share their experience with it?

Thanks very much,

Mark

Mark, I have found the USB overall, quite stable, but I can test out the S/PDIF shortly. I can the DAC in Sleep mode, and it comes right back online on wake.

I read a lot of discussion regarding the Vega being used as a preamp but see nothing about owners using USB to spdif converters, I would appreciate it, if someone could tell me why? It would seem that with all the excitement over these converters, they would used by Vega owners.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

I read a lot of discussion regarding the Vega being used as a preamp but see nothing about owners using USB to spdif converters, I would appreciate it, if someone could tell me why? It would seem that with all the excitement over these converters, they would used by Vega owners.

My guess would be because using the SPDIF connection would be considered a downgrade compared to USB. With USB you have the benefits of ASYNC connectivity in addition to a lower Jitter connection.

To add to the above reasons, using a USB/SPDIF converter adds another component and cable to the connection chain that isn't needed.

My guess would be because using the SPDIF connection would be considered a downgrade compared to USB. With USB you have the benefits of ASYNC connectivity in addition to a lower Jitter connection.

To add to the above reasons, using a USB/SPDIF converter adds another component and cable to the connection chain that isn't needed.

I am not sure it is the case that the jitter of the Auralic Vega is actually lower via USB than s/pdif.

HiFi News measured the jitter and found that for USB the total correlated jitter was 14psec ® and 13psec (L), while for s/pdif the total correlated jitter was 8psec(R+L). There seemed to be a jitter sideband at 2K for USB which was not present in the s/pdif measurements. If you register with the site, you can get access to Paul Miller's extremely comprehensive measurements.

Similarly, Stereophile measured some anomalies, albeit at an extremely low level, which caused the reviewer to "wonder if they indicated some problem at the 24th-bit level with USB data. "

So I don't think the claimed superiority of asynch USB can be assumed - there will always be implementation issues for any particular DAC.

Nonetheless, I would be extremely concerned if a third-party USB to s/pdif convertor improved the performance of the Vega - it would imply that the third-party manufacturer had a better implementation of USB than Auralic.

I should also add that both Stereophile's and HiFi News' measurements of the Vega were outstanding.

Thanks for the heads up, good to see MAR at work on current gear.

I wonder how they connected the S/PDIF?

With the converters, I believe the output is 24bit vs. ASIO 32bit when using USB. This may have no bearing but I thought I would mention it.

I have considered the Hydra-X and Audiophilleo, but that's a lot of coin to drop when I could stay USB and use a low-jitter source USB card, and add in some isolation with a device like an iFi USB....thinking about trying this in place of my Adnaco S3B (which allows me to run in EXACT mode on the Vega).

I am not sure it is the case that the jitter of the Auralic Vega is actually lower via USB than s/pdif.

HiFi News measured the jitter and found that for USB the total correlated jitter was 14psec ® and 13psec (L), while for s/pdif the total correlated jitter was 8psec(R+L). There seemed to be a jitter sideband at 2K for USB which was not present in the s/pdif measurements. If you register with the site, you can get access to Paul Miller's extremely comprehensive measurements.

Similarly, Stereophile measured some anomalies, albeit at an extremely low level, which caused the reviewer to "wonder if they indicated some problem at the 24th-bit level with USB data. "

So I don't think the claimed superiority of asynch USB can be assumed - there will always be implementation issues for any particular DAC.

Nonetheless, I would be extremely concerned if a third-party USB to s/pdif convertor improved the performance of the Vega - it would imply that the third-party manufacturer had a better implementation of USB than Auralic.

I should also add that both Stereophile's and HiFi News' measurements of the Vega were outstanding.

.....So I don't think the claimed superiority of asynch USB [over spdif] can be assumed - there will always be implementation issues for any particular DAC........

This is particularly relevant to my situation. I like using network interfaces to get the data to my system, and have a RENDU. It operates very well, and I would like to use another DAC (I now use the internal DAC in my McIntosh C50). Since the RENDU puts out S/PDIF, and the VEGA accepts it, your notes about the S/PDIF input sound interesting.

Thanks for posting,

Mark

Mr. Wang, if you happen to be still watching this thread, I have a question about setup. I will be receving my Vega soon, and will be using it with a separate preamplifier that is near the Vega. I can run either balanced xlr or unbalanced rca to the preamp. I would appreciate your advice on whether it matters. I anticipate setting the Vega volume to 100 and using the volume in the preamp (a McIntosh C50). Any advice will be appreciated given this setup.

Best regards,

Mark

Mr. Wang, if you happen to be still watching this thread, I have a question about setup. I will be receving my Vega soon, and will be using it with a separate preamplifier that is near the Vega. I can run either balanced xlr or unbalanced rca to the preamp. I would appreciate your advice on whether it matters. I anticipate setting the Vega volume to 100 and using the volume in the preamp (a McIntosh C50). Any advice will be appreciated given this setup.

Best regards,

Mark

If you can run truly balanced I don't see why you would do anything but.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If you can run truly balanced I don't see why you would do anything but.

I don't disagree in general, but I do have a limited number of available xlr inputs in my preamp. For a 3 foot run, I normally wouldn't think balanced would matter (at least regarding picking up noise). However, I am not clear on the question whether the Vega's balanced and unbalanced outputs are of equal quality. If the xlr's are inherently better, then I would definitely run xlr.

I am not clear on the question whether the Vega's balanced and unbalanced outputs are of equal quality. If the xlr's are inherently better, then I would definitely run xlr.

Well, the preamp is fully balanced so yes, it's better. If your system is truly balanaced then it's an advantage. Mine is fully balanced (as seen below) from input to output so it makes sense.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Well, the preamp is fully balanced so yes, it's better. If your system is truly balanaced then it's an advantage. Mine is fully balanced (as seen below) from input to output so it makes sense.

Depending on whether I engage the processor loop to a MEN220, I would have xlr from vega to c50 and xlr from c50 to mc302 amp, so I guess mine would be end to end (not counting whatever volume control in the vega or c50 is doing).