IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

I'm looking forward to giving the Auralic Vega a listen in my system…thank you to Christopher.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hi ejn,

well, nothing really esoteric or high-end :-) just a floor doorstop made with soft plastic :-O

easy, very cheap, very effective.... :-)

Hi Phaeton,

I just installed these feet under the existing feet of my Auralic and Pre and DAC... eg I didnt remove the existing feet but just stuck these on the bottom. They fit perfect and the black blends with the existing feet and gives just enough height.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-FISPADS-Adhesive-Isolation-Pads/dp/B004O06TWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388823063&sr=8-1&keywords=Fisual+Adhesive+Isolation+Pads

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

excellent, very good!!!

btw, the pads you found seem to be very interesting, are they made of soft plastic, rubber or what?

I already have a couple of sets of vibrapod (The Vibrapod Company) but I think that given the peculiar chassis of the Vega/Taurus a more "rigid" coupling is needed.

have you heard any improvement in SQ with the pads?

Knowledge is based on Experience, Everything else is just Information

excellent, very good!!!

btw, the pads you found seem to be very interesting, are they made of soft plastic, rubber or what?

I already have a couple of sets of vibrapod (The Vibrapod Company) but I think that given the peculiar chassis of the Vega/Taurus a more "rigid" coupling is needed.

have you heard any improvement in SQ with the pads?

They feel like a semi-firm rubber... just a little give in them with a little grip. I got these over sorbethane as I read the latter can stain a surface over time and since the units are stacked at the moment, didnt want to risk it. I did notice the rubber pad insert in the Auralic feet recessed a bit on a couple of feet which made the plastic edge touch and potentially scratch something which was remedied with these feet. Cant notice a SQ improvement but didnt really test.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

• 2 weeks later...
How can I upgrade firmware? Is it possible?

And one more question: in coax input with Sonos as source i have volume level at 1, and music is little to loud. Sonos has fixed volume. Is any option to decrease volume?

The driver is downloadable on the Auralic website. Instructions are:

If you are doing an upgrade from Driver Version 1.61. Please follow the steps below:

1, Disconnect the connection between VEGA and your computer.

2, Uninstall the previous driver though Control Panel completely.

3, Reboot your computer.

4, Connect VEGA to computer again. Windows will fail to install the driver, please ignore it.

5, run AURALiC_USBDriver_2_16_0/Setup.exe and follow the instructions.

Enjoy with the new version.

Equipment:

And one more question: in coax input with Sonos as source i have volume level at 1, and music is little to loud. Sonos has fixed volume. Is any option to decrease volume?

You have volume on the Vega on 1 (out of 100) and its too loud??? That seems very strange.

Equipment:

Volume set at 1 should be silent….I can barely hear mine below 10 and it appears nearly silent below 5. I listen between 70-100 (as quiet as I need to as loud as I need).

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

seems very strange... can you adjust your amplifier gain?

about firmware:

Hello, :

We have not launched any firmware upgrade so far till now. The initial version has been used till now. The number you mentioned is the Femto Clock SW version which is bundled with each production batch and is not a firmware version. I hope this will help.

well, regarding Volume: will try today, yesterday I made just a short test.

about firmware:

Hello, :

We have not launched any firmware upgrade so far till now. The initial version has been used till now. The number you mentioned is the Femto Clock SW version which is bundled with each production batch and is not a firmware version. I hope this will help.

well, regarding Volume: will try today, yesterday I made just a short test.

Yep. That's what I said above.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

After two days listenig I can confirm: over coax and usb is too loud on volume 1. Had to decrease volume on source. It is too loud for night or background listening.

That is very strange. With sound so far I'm happy.

if I buy Taurus preamp, would that help?

if I buy Taurus preamp, would that help?

maybe, but I do suspect that the real problem is that your power amp is gaining way too much. is there any way to reduce the gain?

I'm currently running the Vega through a Spectral 30slg2 set at max gain (30db if I remember correctly) and driving a Pass X150.5 set again at max gain (30db). in this configuration the Spectral pot is at the same level using the Vega and the Marantz SA-11. when some time ago I tested the pre-less config, my usual level was around 60-70, anything below 20 was non-audible. even considering that my loudspeakers are quite low in efficiency (Amphion Xenon, 85db), I really do suspect that your power amp is amplifying really too much.................

in any case, a cheaper solution than a Taurus could be an attenuator like these Attenuators

hth

mike

maybe, but I do suspect that the real problem is that your power amp is gaining way too much. is there any way to reduce the gain?

I'm currently running the Vega through a Spectral 30slg2 set at max gain (30db if I remember correctly) and driving a Pass X150.5 set again at max gain (30db). in this configuration the Spectral pot is at the same level using the Vega and the Marantz SA-11. when some time ago I tested the pre-less config, my usual level was around 60-70, anything below 20 was non-audible. even considering that my loudspeakers are quite low in efficiency (Amphion Xenon, 85db), I really do suspect that your power amp is amplifying really too much.................

in any case, a cheaper solution than a Taurus could be an attenuator like these Attenuators

hth

mike

Something still doesn't sound right for the Number "1" on the Vega volume to be too loud... Maybe I missed it but what is the amplifier you are using Dr Sah?

Equipment:

Hypex NC1200.

I dcrease volume on my sources, and it is fine. It is not best solution, but now it is the only sloution, ai don't want another box in my system.

You may want to call Hypex, or search this forum as another member made a comment that he made some slight mod to the Hypex board to reduce the gain which made a nice match with the Vega. Still even with the standard gain of the NCore, you should not be that loud at "1" on the Vega dial...

Equipment:

Since I have the Vega and NC1200's I'll try it here. Just to be clear you're saying that if you go direct with the Vega to the NC1200's the Vega volume at "1" is too loud?

Is this correct?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos