IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

Its a Sony Marketing term. i know who Andreas is and yes, he is a pioneer.

LPF avoids ANY conversion and as such is more elegant if done right and the SQ benefits is there to be heard.

Some prefer single-bit DSD and others multi-bit DSD implementation, but that's beside the point. Both are native.

Its a Sony Marketing term. i know who Andreas is and yes, he is a pioneer.

LPF avoids ANY conversion and as such is more elegant if done right and the SQ benefits is there to be heard.

Wisnon ... you appear to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet. No one is suggesting that LPF isn't a possible way to do conversion ... but it is not a "one true way" for DSD conversion and anything else is less "pure"

You complain about DSD being a Sony Marketing term, yet you insist on using buzz words and marketing terms to promote one DAC (well a few) over all others.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

No bee in my bonnet. What is it with you and Scottish references.

DSD is a Sony term, so how come you are widening the definition? THAT is my point. Its one thing to say that multi-bit is NOT PCM, but its another to say it is in fact DSD.

As for how its converted, there are many ways but LPF is NOT converted, that is the point! There is no special sauce, no manipulation, no DSP, etc (the very definition of purity). Now, you may not care, but some do and its good to have this CLEAR for all to see and make their choice.

No offence meant, because I actually think your posts are quite informative even though you enjoy poking and taking the mickey. At least you keep Middle Earth grounded.LoL

So you change single bit to multi-bit and you insist on calling this native...OOOOKKKKK.

If the on-chip PCM conversions are avoided then of course. Like Andreas Koch said, DSD can be single-bit or it can be multi-bit.

No bee in my bonnet. What is it with you and Scottish references.

DSD is a Sony term, so how come you are widening the definition? THAT is my point. Its one thing to say that multi-bit is NOT PCM, but its another to say it is in fact DSD.

As for how its converted, there are many ways but LPF is NOT converted, that is the point! There is no special sauce, no manipulation, no DSP, etc (the very definition of purity). Now, you may not care, but some do and its good to have this CLEAR for all to see and make their choice.

No offence meant, because I actually think your posts are quite informative even though you enjoy poking and taking the mickey. At least you keep Middle Earth grounded.LoL

Everyone who was involved with development of DSD says that DSD to analogue conversion can be multi-bit and still be native ... I'm sorry but its only you (and others) repeating some obscure polish designer who disagrees (as far as I can see).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Everyone who was involved with development of DSD says that DSD to analogue conversion can be multi-bit and still be native ... I'm sorry but its only you (and others) repeating some obscure polish designer who disagrees (as far as I can see).

Eloise

That is certainly what it seems like to me as well (that is, I agree with Eloise, so as not to be unclear),

Mark

Eloise

I have never spoken to Lukasz about what is native DSD, so you have it very wrong. He would never get into such politics. Besides I have held DSD discussions with some of the biggest European heavyweights in Audio…in Switzerland and in the UK.

Again DSD is a marketing term. Native is something else and we an argue that. My beef there woule be less about multibit and more about DSP manipulations.

You have to have the last word on a thread about a dac you don't like? Why?

Who says I dont like the Vega? Its a very good Dac!

I was note even talking about the Vega, but rather a technical point with Hiro, etc.

Stop being so touchy!

J-Dog, how about posting a mini-review on your new Alpha Dogs on a new thread? Did you audition HD-800's before making your decision or did your better half insist on closed back headphones versus open back? :-)

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

J-Dog, how about posting a mini-review on your new Alpha Dogs on a new thread? Did you audition HD-800's before making your decision or did your better half insist on closed back headphones versus open back? :-)

I've listened to many headphones and non have made the cut to where I purchase them. These did. Mini review? No thanks.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I've listened to many headphones and non have made the cut to where I purchase them. These did. Mini review? No thanks.

I think you just did... :-)...emphasis on 'mini' review.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am a near future owner of the light speed USB cable, but i am in trouble here as i don't know which configuration would be the best for my system. I have an Auralic VEGA DAC and it is a self powered DAC, it is supposed to work with the split one as Srajan from 6 moons used in his VEGA DAC, but some others use the regular one with the VEGA with "great results".

I don't want to spend 1,000 usd and then figure out that the one i got it is not the right one to achieve the best from my system...

Does anyone of you have this experience?

I can use some help please!

Miguel

+1

I'm using a basic USB (I *think* it is Bluejeans Cable or some other sub-$100 USB cable) and it is wonderful...

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hi - I had asked a question in this thread before, but rather in the midst of an intense discussion on another topic. I think my question got lost. Please allow me to post it one more time:

To the Vega owners: I understand that there are standby and sleep modes. Assuming the unit is taken to standby, when you switch to power-on again, will it come back to the same settings as before (input selected, volume level, display settings, etc.) ? Or are there default settings that will override the previous ones ?

I also have the same question regarding the switch from sleep to power-on, if anyone tried.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sleep or power off, I think it comes back as you had it. However, I can't say that for sure regarding volume, as I leave mine on 100 all the time, so don't know whether it will come back on at the last volume used. I know the other settings do stay as you left them. Of course, if you power it off, before you can use exact mode clock you have to warm up. I leave mine on auto fwiw.

Mark

Thank you Mark - this is useful - I am surprised how many high end equipment makers do not consider the needs of automation - one would think that, with USB and Computer audio, this would go a very sophisticated route, but, for now, it is quite the contrary.

I currently have a Bryston BDA-1 which has a 12V trigger and it turns on-off with the computer. I also have the Stereo rig working as a HT and, within the same setup, I have other things like turning on the screen projector, moving the projection screen down, all being controlled by desktop icons. I wonder how others are doing. It seems the world is, at the moment, confined to either high-end stereo with mostly manual control for the equipment or multichannel receivers with a Logitech remote ... but one would expect these worlds to converge.

Anyway - I am going off-topic here - again, thanks for your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using the Auralic Vega with the SOtM mini-server? I would be curious to know if the USB interface worked reasonably well and without hickups.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Has anyone tried using the Auralic Vega with the SOtM mini-server? I would be curious to know if the USB interface worked reasonably well and without hickups.

Can't imagine it wouldn't. The new ARIES though...works really well with the Vega. ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos