IGNORED

Auralic Vega: my review

Somehow the volume control in Windows Sound control was down to 71. This breaks DSD since it is attempting DSP I guess.

Why is this even possible with the Vega?

Having the strangest problem with my Vega all the sudden. Just won't pick up DoP when playing DSD. Just shows 176 or 352kHz. PCM plays fine at all rates.

I have hard restarted it numerous times, and tried FooBar too since I always use JRMC. No changes here. I'm nervous.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Having the strangest problem with my Vega all the sudden. Just won't pick up DoP when playing DSD. Just shows 176 or 352kHz. PCM plays fine at all rates.

I have hard restarted it numerous times, and tried FooBar too since I always use JRMC. No changes here. I'm nervous.

Is there a firmware update method? If so, maybe reflashing the firmware will help?

Somehow the volume control in Windows Sound control was down to 71. This breaks DSD since it is attempting DSP I guess.

My guess is that if your computer is putting out DoP that isn't standard (maybe that is what happens when your sound card gets involved), then the Vega changes its input to something it recognnizes. Maybe the display is just changed by this, is the sound coming out the same as when is shows dsd?

The problem (DSD error) only occurs if one lowers the Vega volume in the Windows Control Panel.

Isn't the whole point of ASIO and WASAPI to bypass "Windows"? I have seen some DACs behave this way on Windows 7 before though...

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Can some Vega owners do a test...

If you set JRMC19 to System Volume (I usually leave Vega zone on Disabled), the volume control does not change the System volume for Auralic USB2.0 device.

You can, however, change the Level manually in Windows Control Panel (Vega it is labeled as a "Speaker") while playback is engaged by an application using Auralic ASIO.

My NuForce USB DAC displays as a SPDIF Interface, but you can also change the volume in Windows Control.

Shouldn't ASIO when use by JRMC totally bypass the Windows mixer? It should lock the device for Exclusive Mode IIRC.

If you set JRMC19 to System Volume (I usually leave Vega zone on Disabled), the volume control does not change the System volume for Auralic USB2.0 device.

You can, however, change the Level manually in Windows Control Panel (Vega it is labeled as a "Speaker") while playback is engaged by an application using Auralic ASIO.

My NuForce USB DAC displays as a SPDIF Interface, but you can also change the volume in Windows Control.

Shouldn't ASIO when use by JRMC totally bypass the Windows mixer? It should lock the device for Exclusive Mode IIRC.

On my Win8.1 system, using the Auralic ASIO driver, with JRiver(19.0.125) volume set to either system or disabled, playing a dsd64 file, the Vega reports DSD64 no matter what I do with the windows volume slider, and there is no attentuation of the playing volume. The windows volume mixer panel shows 'speakers' and 'jriver', and moving either or both sliders does nothing to the sound/dispaly on the Vega.

On my Win8.1 system, using the Auralic ASIO driver, with JRiver(19.0.125) volume set to either system or disabled, playing a dsd64 file, the Vega reports DSD64 no matter what I do with the windows volume slider, and there is no attentuation of the playing volume. The windows volume mixer panel shows 'speakers' and 'jriver', and moving either or both sliders does nothing to the sound/dispaly on the Vega.

Thanks Mark.

Can anyone using Windows7 chime in?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Mark.

Can anyone using Windows7 chime in?

nobody interested in this behavior on Windows 7?

Not that anyone needs another review of the Vega but since I've had the Auralic Vega DAC in my system for five months now, I wanted to post some of my experiences and impressions. Five months is long enough to learn the ins and outs and to get past the initial "new equipment" blush.

To begin with, I've adjusted my system a bit to take advantage of the Vega's pre-amp capabilities. So I no longer have the stepped attenuator between the Vega and my 2A3 amp. I simply have a 100K PRP "reds" at the input and use the digital volume on the Vega via the remote control.

With lower volume levels, it is said that a better than average pre-amp (in terms of S/N ratio) would be better. In the case of the Vega, the math shows that this point is below 40/100 on the volume (since the Vega drops 0.5 db for every step: 40/100 on the display = 60 steps down divided by 0.5 db per step = -30 db).

Here are the graphs showing the math (from the 6Moons review):

Vega S to N Ratios.jpg

Most of my serious listening is done at 60/100 (sometimes 50 and sometimes 70 depending on the source material). In reality, the ambient noise of my listening area below 40/100 is probably a greater issue than the S/N losses. I don't see any issue whatsoever as I am using it.

The sound of the DAC without anything between it and the amplifier is very clean and dynamic. I am very happy with the simplicity and clarity of this setup.

The Vega up samples everything to 1.5Mhz and this provides some advantages from a filtering perspective. Here are the designer's comments on the up sampling (also from the 6Moons review):

One ESS9018 advantage is support for externally upsampled signal >1.5MHz. Even if one doesn't use external filters, it upsamples to very high frequencies based on the master clock. For some sample rates we still use our Sanctuary chip as digital filter and upsampler. For others we run the ES9018's internal upsampler but program its digital filter for uniform performance. By upsampling to a megahertz level the analog reconstruction filter can be very shallow. This exhibits higher slew rates and more linear phase to sound more analog.

The result is the best sounding 16 bit, 24 bit, and DSD I've had from a DAC in my system. In fact, it is getting very hard to tell the difference between good CD quality files and 24 bit files. Basically everything sounds equally good with the differences based nearly entirely on the source recording and mastering. The difference between DSD and PCM is also minor at best with this DAC. So with DSD I still prefer it but not by the larger margins that I had experienced with the two other DSD DACs I've had in the system.

The overall impression is a balanced emphasis from a tight bass to a smooth midrange to a pleasing treble extending to a natural decay from cymbal splashes. One can't say there is any one area that stands out above the rest nor can one say there are any deficiencies. I would say the timbre is, to my ear, natural and realistic.

The sound quality is direct, not laid back. The directness is dynamic, not loudness. The sound in not compressed, if I were to say it the other way around. It is this dynamic, direct sound that gives the Vega more detail than other DACs I've used. The detail is extreme yet not fatiguing.

Between the balanced spectrum, the natural tone, and the dynamic detail, the Vega let one choose to listen to the overall music or choose to focus on details in equal measure depending on one's mood. It is really pleasing.

One final word on the sound quality: with the Vega, each recording sounds unique and different from the next. I find that I am hearing each song on it's own merits. This is a quality that I really think is significant with the Vega. You can appreciate the sound the artist was seeking rather than hearing a "house" sound from your own equipment.

Finally, the various clock settings are interesting. I generally run it on Auto which is a dynamic clock setting that emphasizes stability. But for serious listening I set it to Exact, an "experimental" setting that forces the highest clock setting possible on the Vega. The Exact setting adds another dimension of detail and depth. It is like the entire recording comes into greater focus and you can see (hear) right into the recording. It is also not as stable as one would be happy with for everyday listening as there can be drop outs from time to time. But for serious listening, it is really worth it.

I'm very happy with the Auralic Vega and it has taken my front end up a noticeable level. The Auralic Vega is the real deal and while expensive, it also serves as a high end pre amp so it becomes a greater value when considered in that light.

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

John, thanks for the great review. I have really enjoyed listening to my Vega as well, and share your enthusiasm for it. As you said, all source material sounds great through it. After getting it, I have found I am happy with what I have now, and have stopped looking around for DACs.

Best,

Mark

Since you were not getting any help I thought I would try. In windows 7 when you are using your Vega you should set some other device as the default in the control panel (even if you never use it). That should bypass the windows mixer. If you have the Vega selected as the default device everything is routed through the mixer and the windows volume control will be functional. If you select something else as default that should solve your problem. You can download a simple little free program named audio switcher to make this task easier.

Since you were not getting any help I thought I would try. In windows 7 when you are using your Vega you should set some other device as the default in the control panel (even if you never use it). That should bypass the windows mixer. If you have the Vega selected as the default device everything is routed through the mixer and the windows volume control will be functional. If you select something else as default that should solve your problem. You can download a simple little free program named audio switcher to make this task easier.

Thanks, I always have my NuForce DAC as default since my rig connects into the other room via PCI-E Adnaco USB to the Vega. If you have another device as the default, but then go into the Vega mixer to test the volume slider, I wonder what happens. I can only assume this is how I was testing, with NuForce as default, but will check again.

I *think* the Vega hour counter is for every hour powered on and not standby. Whether playing or not, it's counting.

Is this correct?

Yes, but this function is not totally reliable according to the test. The controller somethings will goes into dead end and write to storage with wrong number, so please just take this as a reference.

Yes, but this function is not totally reliable according to the test. The controller somethings will goes into dead end and write to storage with wrong number, so please just take this as a reference.

Thank you Mr. Wang.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone compared the Chord Hugo to Vega directly?

Rob Watts comments regarding "native DSD" got me thinking about the DSD filters in the Vega. So if volume is at 100, the digital volume is not active? What is happening with the Vega digital volume when playing DSD?

Rob Watts comments regarding "native DSD" got me thinking about the DSD filters in the Vega. So if volume is at 100, the digital volume is not active? What is happening with the Vega digital volume when playing DSD?

Because the internal structure of ESS sabre chip, you can still use volume control when you playback DSD. This is a big advantage compare to other solution. The sabre will convert all input signal no mater PCM or DSD to 6-bit to process, a similar approach like dCS's patented 5-bit 'RingDAC' structure.

I bought a Vega about ten days ago. It sounded great in the store. In my system, so far, it seems harsh, rough, hard. My system consists of Naim Unitiserve, Audio Research LS22 preamp, Audio Research VT 130SE amp and Proac Response 3.5 speakers. The Naim is connected to the Vega by coax cable (Nordost). I've been running the Vega night and day and it's now approaching 200 hours. Problem is that my dealer won't give me many more days to exchange it. I compared the Vega to an Arcam DAC (the $3100 one) and the Arcam sounded sweeter and less edgy. I may borrow a Cary 100t and/or a Naim V1 from the dealer for comparison. Unfortunately, I can't give the Vega too much more break in time unless I want to roll the dice and give up any chance to return it. Would appreciate any input, thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried USB?

Are you using balanced outputs on Vega?

Leaving gain at 100 and doing volume on the LS22?

I bought a Vega about ten days ago. It sounded great in the store. In my system, so far, it seems harsh, rough, hard. My system consists of Naim Unitiserve, Audio Research LS22 preamp, Audio Research VT 130SE amp and Proac Response 3.5 speakers. The Naim is connected to the Vega by coax cable (Nordost). I've been running the Vega night and day and it's now approaching 200 hours. Problem is that my dealer won't give me many more days to exchange it. I compared the Vega to an Arcam DAC (the $3100 one) and the Arcam sounded sweeter and less edgy. I may borrow a Cary 100t and/or a Naim V1 from the dealer for comparison. Unfortunately, I can't give the Vega too much more break in time unless I want to roll the dice and give up any chance to return it. Would appreciate any input, thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried USB?

Are you using balanced outputs on Vega?

Leaving gain at 100 and doing volume on the LS22?

I can't use USB--the Unitiserve doesn't have a USB output, so I'm using the coax. I don't have the Vega connected to a computer.

I am using balanced outputs on the Vega into the LS22 preamp.

I haven't set the Vega gain at 100. I've tried it at 70-80 and then used the LS22 to make further adjustments. I'll check that out. Thanks for the advice.