IGNORED

Article: Luxman DA-06 DAC Review

Once you feel the velvet of a Japanese Hi End product, it's very, very difficult to slip into something else and be happy with that purchase for the long term. I've been there with amps, done that, would not consider anything else.

Japanese build quality is second to none, especially for audio, although I will put on my snob hat and say that the Accuphase product is built finer than the Luxman, just going that little bit further.

But Accuphase don't (as yet) have a standalone DAC with DSD capability over USB, like the Luxman DA-06. Find it strange, the DA-06 is not shown on the Luxman site, yet Google finds it on just about every other site!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

"I dare anyone to listen and deny the merits of DSD"

Charles Hansen is doing a pretty good job in your forum as we speak.

I think you're misrepresenting Hansen's opinion on DSD. The way I read it, it's not that he doesn't think that DSD has merits, rather that he thinks well-done PCM sounds at least as good while at the same time having significant advantages including not needing new hardware on the recording and playback side. I haven't yet heard DSD but I have heard: a) SACD, which was fine but not amazing; and b) John Marks' recording made with a QA-9, which has some of the best sonics I've heard.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Chris,

I take it you used the Luxman's USB input for all playback, is that correct? At any time did you try using the Berkeley Alpha USB and then feeding the Luxman AES/EBU? This would reduce the variables involved and isolate the sound of the Luxman as a DAC.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I was waiting for someone to review this before I purchased but ended up not being able to wait after my first audition. I have had my Luxman DA-06 for about 1 month now. I did not think that I would hear such a difference but I have found that the DA-06 is definitely a component I have been pleasantly surprised for.

I am definitely enjoying Hi-Res and DSD file playback but I was surprised to hear the improvement on standard 44.1 files over USB. It is not a miracle worker on poor recordings but I must admit a lot of songs have become very enjoyable to listen too.

My BenchmarkMedia DAC has been benched.

Originally from Michigan but working in Japan. This is a $3400 list $2600 discounted DAC in Japan. Unfortunate for the US markup. Considering I was able to purchase for only the twice the price of the Benchmark and less than the

Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Series 2, I would say this is a very good audio bargain.

Associated equipment: Electrocompaniet AW250 Power Amp, Parasound JC-2 Pre, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 Bookshelf, MacMini Running Windows and JRiver Media Center via USB, SONO via PCM.

Back to my toe tapping enjoyment...

Chris

Once you feel the velvet of a Japanese Hi End product, it's very, very difficult to slip into something else and be happy with that purchase for the long term. I've been there with amps, done that, would not consider anything else.

Japanese build quality is second to none, especially for audio, although I will put on my snob hat and say that the Accuphase product is built finer than the Luxman, just going that little bit further.

But Accuphase don't (as yet) have a standalone DAC with DSD capability over USB, like the Luxman DA-06. Find it strange, the DA-06 is not shown on the Luxman site, yet Google finds it on just about every other site!

Naw, NOTHING beats the Chord Dacs for build quality. There is youtube vid with a tank running over one and it emerged unscathed and played normally after.

Does it have dual voltage like a lot of kit does these days?

A 110/230 switch so I could import it to the UK myself.

There's no switch at the back and the photo reveals a fuse for 125V only, so guessing there's a 230V board for EU regions. Unless you get the DA-06 form Japan and buy a 230V-100V 50VA transformer locally.

EU has a lot of weird rules on emissions though, and the Japanese/Asia version may not comply, so it should be best to get the localised version.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Chris,

I take it you used the Luxman's USB input for all playback, is that correct? At any time did you try using the Berkeley Alpha USB and then feeding the Luxman AES/EBU? This would reduce the variables involved and isolate the sound of the Luxman as a DAC.

Dan

This would test the Luxman's AES interface in an unrealistic way that wouldn't likely be used in the field.

I consider the Alpha / Alpha combo one piece compared to the DA-06.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This would test the Luxman's AES interface in an unrealistic way that wouldn't likely be used in the field.

Not sure why you say that, Chris; perhaps you will elaborate. My read of the current state of affairs is that many people prefer -- and feel they get better results -- using USB -> S/PDIF converters rather than going direct to the USB input on many current DACs.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Not sure why you say that, Chris; perhaps you will elaborate. My read of the current state of affairs is that many people prefer -- and feel they get better results -- using USB -> S/PDIF converters rather than going direct to the USB input on many current DACs.

This makes no sense and subjects you to increased SPDIF jitter beyond that of async USB. Of course some parties want you to believe otherwise!

Unless your USB is bad...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.