IGNORED

Audirvana 1.5 Beta

Hello

I have a very general question about AU Plugins. I never used any of them and I wanted to hear about other people experiences using them with Audirvana.

- what is the main use of AU Plugins ? Room optimisation ? Sound correction (that is supposed to be done by A+ directly) ?

- which one would you advice ? There are hundreds at least and it is very difficult to have a clear idea.

- do you need extra tools like microphones to analyse the environment and make a real improvement in the sound ?

Please let me know about your own experience with Audirvana.

Thanks

philouu

PS Audio P3 - Devialet 240 - Wilson Benesch Vertex - Viard Silver HD 20 (Speaker,Power,USB) - Micromega CD-30 - Audirvana/Jriver - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA

Loving the sound of the beta :-)

I don't use iTunes - at all. I have been using Rowmote Pro and the TV as a screen for A+. But since A+ 1.4.6, Rowmote's keypad remote is limited to play/pause (no direct volume or track skipping functions). I've written to Romote.

It would be awesome to have an iOS app to run A+ in playlist mode... wink-wink, nudge-nudge...

(... To keep the Monty Python references going)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Just rename your current version Audirvava 1.4.6 then download and install the beta. I rename all my versions this way so I can keep track of them.

I don't have 1.4.6. as a separate download. I updated it through A+.

Mac Min : Audirvana : Audiophilleo 2 : Rega DAC : Brio-R : RS3 speakers.

I have inquired to Damien about working with Clayton Shaw from Spatial Computing to allow his room correction software (which won a rare Lunar Eclipse from 6 Moons). This would allow the best of both worlds. Until then, I am forced to use Pure Music (argh). Please work on this Damien for the betterment of life as we know it :-)

As far as I can see, there is no possibility to set the maximum bit depth of an adapter / USB Converter Device in this Beta Version. Will the final version be capable to do this? I would appreciate it, and as I told you, I need this feature for my Audio GD USB/SPDIF Converter (just to be able to set the maximum bit depth to 24 Bit, and not to 32 Bit).

Thank you for your great work!

I downloaded the newest beta a couple of days ago. I am one who is a little more cautious to extoll the audio improvements. I mean how can a all these versions provide a significant advance in quality. The past hour or so has been my first extensive listening session in a while and since the upgrade. Right away I thought how very good my system sounded, another step towards alive and real. Then I remembered the beta upgrade. Hmmmmmm?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
As far as I can see, there is no possibility to set the maximum bit depth of an adapter / USB Converter Device in this Beta Version. Will the final version be capable to do this? I would appreciate it, and as I told you, I need this feature for my Audio GD USB/SPDIF Converter (just to be able to set the maximum bit depth to 24 Bit, and not to 32 Bit).

Thank you for your great work!

mingusamongus,

I have the same issue, and probably the same converter: DV-I3. It is a great sounding USB/SPDF converter, and its USB is 32/192 capable.

The problem is Audirvana Plus reads the input capability in 'integer mode' and supplies a fixed 32 bit signal. The DI-V3 SPDF output is only 24/192 capable however, as is the SPDF input to my DAC. The end result is no sound in 'integer mode'. So we need a software means to force a 24 bit signal to the USB input. Currently the solution is to give up 'exclusive access' and 'integer mode' so that Apple's Audio MIDI Setup can be used to force the 24 bit depth that the hardware will accept. I have not figured out a way to do this with 'integer mode' yet. So, several of us A+ users would be grateful beyond words if A+ had a software means to force 24 bit depth signals in integer mode.

I agree with many who have stated that the 1.4.9.6 version sounds fabulous. From what I recall of integer mode on other DACs, I know that 1.4.9.6 can sound even better!

All the best,

John

Read about ARC System 2 on site. Will that process/manipulation, whilst optimizing EQ in digital domain, negatively impact the purity/accuracy of digital info and thereby "mess up" all the work Damien and others have done?

Yes, these are for ITB recording and mixing, though some digital software has useful mastering purpose (e.g. Sonnox, Algorithmix, and a handful of other makers' software). For room EQ you should do everything else first, then apply EQ minimally if you must.

Since I don't actually know what a plug-in is and why I would want one for music... ...but I'm guessing there are some other applications that have relevance.

For home play back, virtually none. It's not that plugins don't do amazing things for recording, rather their use in the acoustic space of playback is a gamble with very poor chance of success.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Read about ARC System 2 on site.

If I understood the product, it samples the frequency responses from listening spots and rebalances the EQ to make up for room, speaker placement issues. Used to cost a whole bunch more than $300.

Will that process/manipulation, whilst optimizing EQ in digital domain, negatively impact the purity/accuracy of digital info and thereby "mess up" all the work Damien and others have done?

Expect there will be trade offs.

Hi 57,

Just to give another opinion, in my room after applying as much passive treatments as my wife would tolerate, and not having very much latitude with regard to placement, I was left with +12db and +8db nodes in the lowest octaves. The difference between well implemented parametric Eq (e.g. Fabfilter, and using a mic and measuring software Fuzzmeasure) and no Eq is really night and day, I cant live without Eq. As for the purity/accuracy of digital, well there has been so much similar Eq applied before it end up on CD that I dont think there is really such a thing a a pure signal in that sense, and wrt accuracy, well if you dont somehow control for the huge effect the room has on what you hear then you could never really make any claim to hearing anything 'accurate'.

Downloaded Audirvana for the first time (Pure Music user thus far), unfortunately as has been reported, Fabfilter not recognised. Happy to pay my money if this can be fixed.

Cheers

B

It is now :)

I'm completing the presets feature, and I'll make the 1.4.9.7 that includes among others the IK Multimedia, Fabfilter plugins recognition.

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Damien, can you please also fix the "not releasing playback" on last tack? ;-)

thanks

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

While we're making requests ;-)

Any chance to include selective up-sampling, i.e. up-sampling of only 44.1 and 48 kHz tracks?

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

ok, confirmed: if I uncheck "Deactivate play position control by iTunes" Audirvana behaves as expected, if I don't it gets stuck 2-3 seconds before the end of last track in playlist and it doesn't release playback :-/

In my case having "Deactivate play position control by iTunes" unchecked and when I'm lucky, an album is played from the beginning till the end as it should, which happens. Quite often though the last few seconds of the last track get skipped - really annoying with classical or anything else.....

Damien, please, take note ;-)

thnx

I'd like to emphasize - please take note Mr. Damien and t.i.a.

It's not my day...

with this part I meant

In my case having "Deactivate play position control by iTunes" unchecked and when I'm lucky, an album is played from the beginning till the end as it should, which happens. Quite often though the last few seconds of the last track get skipped - really annoying with classical or anything else.....

+2 on this request please.

This'll come after 1.4.9.7 (normally tomorrow), but definitely for 1.5 (table for selecting the wished sample rate for each file native one).

@pl_svn & Densen: For the iTunes issue, again one of those nasty non reproducible one. So I'll work with sending instrumented versions...

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

pl_svn & Densen: For the iTunes issue, again one of those nasty non reproducible one. So I'll work with sending instrumented versions...

don't worry, Damien: I can live (for now) with "deactivate iTunes" unchecked. we'll see after 1.5 is released ;-)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

You need the latest 1.7.2 beta from Mytek for DSD128.

Damien

Sorry, but what is the purpose of using Audio Units with a software like Audirvana? Don't we all use it EXACTLY so we can listen to bit-perfect/unadulterated music?

Otherwise we can all return to iTunes...or not?