IGNORED

High-Resolution Downloads to die for…

Very very nice, thanks.

Here is a live version;

The two Ilya Itin Debussy albums in DSD 256 are really excellent.

Fine playing and love the piano sound on these.

Also worth mentioning, the NativeDSD pricing is significantly lower than what these sell for from Acoustic Sounds.

To each his own:)

I just love the sequence of the first 3 tunes and find it very fresh, very new AND the recording quality is indeed excellent.

It is of course more challenging music than say, from the same label, Andre Heuvelman or Carmen Gomes, but I find that the music grows on you.

Actually listened to it again and like it more the second time. Yes it does grow on you.

The new 2-LP set by Bill Evans "Some Other Time (The Lost Session from The Black Forest)" in DSD 128 Stereo. Some very fine Jazz listening there !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25655[/ATTACH]

You Tube mini-documentary:

Available at Native DSD for $23.55 (DSD 64) or $27.32 (DSD 128 and DSD 64 packaged together)

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1044-bill-evans-some-other-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

this one is superb!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Excellent. Great Bill evans discovery.

The new 2-LP set by Bill Evans "Some Other Time (The Lost Session from The Black Forest)" in DSD 128 Stereo. Some very fine Jazz listening there !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25655[/ATTACH]

You Tube mini-documentary:

Available at Native DSD for $23.55 (DSD 64) or $27.32 (DSD 128 and DSD 64 packaged together)

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1044-bill-evans-some-other-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

This download is getting a good rap at the music for testing audio equipment thread but since it is just released it deserves to be mentioned here as well.

This brand new release has got what I am talking about in spades,

excellent placement with every instrument clearly positioned on the soundstage, marvelous SQ, natural but also very engaging,

and music of beauty but with a few fresh twists and turns.

StartasOrkester300shadow.pngSound Liaison Music Shop

It is on special offer too!

I concur. The album is perfect for speaker placement or comparing headphones for depth and sound stage.

Superb SQ.

It is a superb album. Startas' fresh approach blending all kinds of influences to such gorgeous whole, is a very welcome audition to the world of music.

Track three is audiophile heaven. If that does not sound good on your system, you better start tuning!

For SQ; depth and imaging, and a beautiful mix of genres, this new album comes highly recommended;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29718[/ATTACH] and its on intro sale at the moment, and for a tenner it is a no-brainer.

Sound Liaison Music Shop

Got it, but wasn't crazy about it. As usual, their recordings are excellent but I wouldn't put this one on my must have list.

To each his own:)

I just love the sequence of the first 3 tunes and find it very fresh, very new AND the recording quality is indeed excellent.

It is of course more challenging music than say, from the same label, Andre Heuvelman or Carmen Gomes, but I find that the music grows on you.

Actually listened to it again and like it more the second time. Yes it does grow on you.

I find that very interesting...meaning that I have albums that I have bought that did not do much for me the first time but then returning to them later it would be different, suddenly ´´understanding´´ what the whole thing was about.

How can that be? Is it because my brain had a change to process the music or is it just that I am in a different mood that day?

• 3 weeks later...
I find that very interesting...meaning that I have albums that I have bought that did not do much for me the first time but then returning to them later it would be different, suddenly ´´understanding´´ what the whole thing was about.

How can that be? Is it because my brain had a change to process the music or is it just that I am in a different mood that day?

First, I think there is music that can capture you at first listen and others where it grows on you. Why I am not sure. One of the reasons I like this site is because there are many people here who have steered me to extremely good music and who know much more than I do and if my perception, particular at first glance is so disparate from theirs, I go back. This release was one of those times my initial impressions were very wrong. As a kid I had similar experiences especially with The Doors until I was lucky enough to see them and there was no turning back.

From NativeDSD extraordinary transcription from the analog master tapes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30632[/ATTACH]

DSD only (I'm sorry !)

Roch

A wonderful album.

Also available in PCM from the usual places. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 3 weeks later...

There is only five days left of the special 33% off offer;

StartasOrkester200shadow.pnghttp://www.soundliaison.com/

It is a superb album. Startas' fresh approach blending all kinds of influences to such gorgeous whole, is a very welcome audition to the world of music.

Track three is audiophile heaven. If that does not sound good on your system, you better start tuning!

I concur. The album is perfect for speaker placement or comparing headphones for depth and sound stage.Superb SQ.
I concur, gorgeous album, music and sound.
First, I think there is music that can capture you at first listen and others where it grows on you. Why I am not sure. One of the reasons I like this site is because there are many people here who have steered me to extremely good music and who know much more than I do and if my perception, particular at first glance is so disparate from theirs, I go back. This release was one of those times my initial impressions were very wrong. As a kid I had similar experiences especially with The Doors until I was lucky enough to see them and there was no turning back.
There is only five days left of the special 33% off offer;

StartasOrkester200shadow.pnghttp://www.soundliaison.com/

Bought it last night. Really dig it. Love the Radiohead-inspired jazz ensemble.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Available as 24/176.4 (alternatively 88.2) download. The download appears to be an integer downsampling of the SACD's DSD layer.

I for one have always preferred the original piano score to Ravel's highly successful and popular orchestration (a greater orchestrator may never have lived). There are those who will maintain it is pointless to listen to any performance other than Sviatoslav Richter's 24 February 1958 live performance in Sofia, Bulgaria, which doesn't just come in "murky" sound as even Richter's most avid fans (and I'm certainly one of them) admit, the wow and flutter may drive even the most benign listener crazy (it's really an even greater problem for piano solo than e.g. symphonic music).

The sound quality of Janis's long-lost yet found-again recording is well-neigh incredible for its age (seriously, is anyone even able to tell this recording is over half a century old?). And there's an elegance and subtlety to the playing itself that, over the years, has made me wonder if this isn't, quite simply, my favourite interpretation of the score (having said that, Horowitz deserves a listen, too). Listen to e.g. the tender coloristic shading of those Ravel-like repeated notes - unforgettable.

The coupling or "filler", Dorati's 1959 recording of Ravel's orchestration, even if not in the league of Reiner or (perhaps my favourite) Ormandy, has been unjustly neglected by the critics (I think the Minneapolis SO makes the score sound aptly crude where it sometimes suffers from too much refinement) - but it's true it'll ultimately wet one's appetite for more.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Where is this available for download? :)

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

I believe acousticsguru was describing the Byron Janis download, not the Richter performance, of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".

I haven’t heard the Janis, but I hold a dissenting opinion regarding the Richter. I find it too ferocious and lacking in subtlety.

My favorite "Pictures" is a 2102 CD by Georgy Tchaidze, produced by the Honens Piano Competition in Canada in honor of his winning the 2009 competition. It is an exceptionally nuanced and absorbing interpretation, but not barn-storming. I bought the Tchaidze CD from Amazon based on a rave review by Fanfare magazine reviewer (and composer) David Deboor Canfield, who is obsessed with, and has reviewed hundreds of recordings of, "Pictures at an Exhibition".

Based on other recordings I've heard by Janis, I expect his would be a superb example of the barn-storming style, so Tchaidze and Janis would be worth acquiring for their complementary interpretations.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks - was not aware of that site for searching. Which of those sites allow one to re-download if one loses their hard drive?

I know HDtracks does not

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Thanks - was not aware of that site for searching. Which of those sites allow one to re-download if one loses their hard drive?

I know HDtracks does not

That I know:

Qobuz

Native DSD

HighRes Audio,

But it's better to have your own backup. I just lost my 12 TB music library thanks to a RAID array, but everything was on backup. Not in RAID anymore !

Roch

I believe acousticsguru was describing the Byron Janis download, not the Richter performance, of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".

I haven’t heard the Janis, but I hold a dissenting opinion regarding the Richter. I find it too ferocious and lacking in subtlety.

My favorite "Pictures" is a 2102 CD by Georgy Tchaidze, produced by the Honens Piano Competition in Canada in honor of his winning the 2009 competition. It is an exceptionally nuanced and absorbing interpretation, but not barn-storming. I bought the Tchaidze CD from Amazon based on a rave review by Fanfare magazine reviewer (and composer) David Deboor Canfield, who is obsessed with, and has reviewed hundreds of recordings of, "Pictures at an Exhibition".

Based on other recordings I've heard by Janis, I expect his would be a superb example of the barn-storming style, so Tchaidze and Janis would be worth acquiring for their complementary interpretations.

Hi Bob,

Is this the Tchaidze?

Georgy_Tchaidze-Medtner-Mussorgsky-Prokofiev.jpg

Jus DL from Qobuz.

Best,

Roch

Hi Bob,

Is this the Tchaidze?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31216[/ATTACH]

Jus DL from Qobuz.

Best,

Roch

How does it sound? How do you rate it ? Please do tell, I am itching to get a really excellent Hi Rez performance and recording. Right now, I just have a cd rip.

I am downloading the Janis version right now :) From Acoustic Sounds since they are running a 15% off sale right now code 15percent :)

Hi, Roch! Yes, that's it. Does Qobuz have it in hi-res?

Regarding the sound of the CD: The bass isn’t as clear and deep as I'd wish, but the midrange and treble are clear without glare. The absence of thundering bass does detract from the power of the last two movements of Pictures.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Downloaded from AcousticSounds and Listened to this Janis version - I was not impressed. There is an audible hiss of background noise and a edginess of high frequency something. The orchestration is a bit halting and percussion is not as dynamic as I prefer.