IGNORED

How good is your hearing?

What do you hear at normal listening levels?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm 49 and can hear 17 KHz through headphones and about 15 KHz through my speakers at normal listening levels, which is what I entered on the poll. I am very sensitive to loud noises and avoid them, which may have helped. As a kid I couldn't handle a fireworks display.

I find this question a bit difficult to answer as the frequency response of the ear is not necessarily good until it drops.

In my case, I have entered 14 to 16kHz because I took an extended hearing test (Audioscan) very recently and know as a result that my hearing is (slightly) above average at these frequencies (as well as below 6kHz). However, my hearing is significantly (~20dB) below average between 10 and 12 kHz, so I could have responded 8 to 10kHz as well...

I have a similar age (40) as you Bill (wgscott), and I have always been very careful with my ears, but I have been the victim of an unfortunate incident where (long story) I was trapped in a room with a fire alarm blaring for 15 minutes. Fortunately I happened to have foam ear plugs in my bag, which I put on, but I still suffered permanent ear damage from this incident (I have had tinnitus since then) and suspect that this is what caused this drop between 10 and 12kHz (which is also the frequency of my tinnitus). This story perhaps makes my profile unusual. I notice, though, that Bill (wkhanna)'s hearing also exhibits a non-monotonic frequency response, so maybe my profile is not so unusual.

Side bar: I have 2 hearing test apps on my iphone. "Hearing Test", and "uHear". Not sure of the accuracy though, but passed with flying colors.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

If the question is whether we have sensitivity at any level, I can detect a 21 kHz tone at or above 60db, but my threshold sensitivity at or below 8kHz is between 5 and 15 db. A "pure tone" audiogram shows only threshold sensitivity, i.e. the quietest tone you can detect at the test frequency. This may not relate directly to usable hearing.

The phenomenon of recruitment (defined as "an abnormal growth of loudness") means that the listener's dynamic range is compressed upward from the bottom, so that pure tone thresholds are elevated but normally loud sounds are still normally loud (or even too loud). This is common in patients with "presbycusis" (hearing loss of aging), although it's far from universal and many people with 30+ db "losses" in threshold sensitivty have a generalized shifting of sensitivity upward by the same amount and are therefore "hard of hearing".

So a pure tone audiogram is not necessarily an indicator of how "good" your hearing is - it only tells you how sensitive it is to low level sound. One can have 30+ db impairments in threshold sensitivity but still hear a full and balanced audio spectrum pretty well at 80+ db. Also remember that a standard audiogram only goes from 100 Hz to 8kHz, as does the equipment with which it's done. There are many studies on extended range audiometry, but clinical use is still very rare. (Yes, I'm a doctor.)

........I was trapped in a room with a fire alarm blaring for 15 minutes. Fortunately I happened to have foam ear plugs in my bag, which I put on, but I still suffered permanent ear damage from this incident (I have had tinnitus since then) and suspect that this is what caused this drop between 10 and 12kHz (which is also the frequency of my tinnitus). This story perhaps makes my profile unusual. I notice, though, that Bill (wkhanna)'s hearing also exhibits a non-monotonic frequency response, so maybe my profile is not so unusual.

Short story.....unprotected exposure to race cars & motorcycles in my 20's & 30's.

I am in my late 50's now.

& hopefully a bit wiser regarding protection.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

I'm 49 and can hear 17 KHz through headphones and about 15 KHz through my speakers at normal listening levels, which is what I entered on the poll. I am very sensitive to loud noises and avoid them, which may have helped. As a kid I couldn't handle a fireworks display.

There is a 12 Step Program for you . . . I am sure.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Pardon...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

+1. I just don't get HIFI's point.

What?

Pardon...

Obviously an English joke

Man 1: You can't here that?

Man 2: Pardon... (We say pardon meaning "could you repeat that - I didn't hear what you said")

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I found a decent one for headphone use, the sweeps would work for speakers I suppose.

The Ultimate Headphones Test

My HD800 setup was hearable 30Hz to 13Kz using my ears and my regular volume. At 53, and lots of shooting while young, and noisy machines at work, my hearing is holding up decently I think. Now, if I could get rid of the tinnitis...

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I found a decent one for headphone use, the sweeps would work for speakers I suppose.
That is not a hearing test. In addition, any meaningful hearing test must be carried out in a very quiet environment and that generally means that it cannot be carried out with speakers except in an anechoic chamber.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

any meaningful hearing test must be carried out in a very quiet environment and that generally means that it cannot be carried out with speakers except in an anechoic chamber.

+1

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

That is not a hearing test. In addition, any meaningful hearing test must be carried out in a very quiet environment and that generally means that it cannot be carried out with speakers except in an anechoic chamber.

+1. In addition, the gear has to be carefully calibrated.