IGNORED

How good is your hearing?

What do you hear at normal listening levels?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm capable to listen my wife yelling at two miles distance. But I don't know the frequency range of her yelling.

When I tried to get her in an anechoic chamber she sue me for aggression.

If they are any audiophile lawyer specialized on this, please let me know...!

Roch

Don't rely too much on tests you take on the web w headphones. If the equipment isn't up to the task, you may think that you're listening to, say 18 kHz, while you're actually listening to lower frequency byproducts resulting from nonlinearities in the hardware. Also, the test tones of some of the tests I've cone across aren't properly ramped, so that frequency splatter occurs at signal onset and stop ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

I just took a little test of my own using the iPhone app n-Track Tuner. It has a "Diapason" section where you can enter any frequency you like between 1 Hz and 21.999 kHz, as well as any key (in naturals, sharps and flats). Unless the speaker on the phone can't go higher than 18 kHz then I'm somewhere in that 16-18 kHz area. To perform a real test, I really should use headphones...and turn off everything in the house...but I wanted to see what I could hear in my normal listening environment. Now granted, I had the iPhone 5's speaker firing directly at me and only about a foot away from my head, but I think it's a sufficient enough test. What's troubling to me is that I was unable to hear the highest tone in my right ear. It's obvious as I pan the phone around from my left to my right; it just disappears. I'll be 40 this year, and to me that's pretty darn sad (not the 40 part, but the hearing part in light of the 40 part). I will say that I do have ringing in my ears that I would bet is around 19-20 kHz (based on the highest tone I can hear) and it's canceling out some things. I guess that's what you get when you fall in love with music at a very early age, and so much so that you want to force feed it into your head at max volume. Now-a-days the only time I'm blaring music is while cruising down the freeway (and I bet that's doing it own bit of damage...but I love it).

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS