IGNORED

What's the first album you ever bought?

It was 1980, I was 14 and my first was a live jazz album.

And I couldn't give a toss what anybody else thought!

Unknown-1.jpeg

I am still looking for a digital version of this swinging tactile well recorded album.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I refuse to say... On the grounds it WILL incriminate me. Suffice to say my early teenage years were in the late 80s...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

live cream.jpg

First album I bought: Live Cream, Vol. II - still love it. How many of us can say that about our first buy?

It was actually my third LP: I got Abbey Road for my 13th birthday, and Blood Sweat and Tears (II) - the one with "Spinning Wheel" a week later as a Bar Mitzvah gift. I must say, pretty good start to an LP collection.

Of course the question could have been (for us older folks) what was the first RECORD you bought? Back in the day, young and without much money, we bought singles. I think my first one was the Beatles - Hey Jude/Revolution. My parents weren't too crazy about the Revolution side.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

But Eloise.....The question is what album you bought....not stole !!

I resent that comment... I have never stolen a Kylie Mingogue album in my life...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I resent that comment... I have never stolen a Kylie Mingogue album in my life...

Was she even around in the eighties?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I think I talked my mom into buying the Beatles Help album after that movie came out. Might have just been the single. I remember talking her into letting me go to this movie in Casper, Wyoming and being amazed at the reaction of the young girls my age. Many were screaming and hysterical for the entire film. I'd never experienced anything like it. This would have been '65 or '66. I was 12 or 13 years old.

JohnMH

Nice topic. Unfortunately for me the urge to claim something I think is cool is quite overwhelming. Not that I'm suggesting anyone else posting a cool first album is a filthy rotten cheating liar with a highly selective memory. Oh no.

So, with hand on heart *cough* my first album was one of these two. From 1980, I was 15 and into New Wave (and nice graphic design).

Magazine - The Correct Use Of Soap.jpg

But wait, slight problem with that is that I also have these two turkeys in my collection, and they're from 1979. Obviously someone slipped them in there to mess with my mojo.

CheapTrickDreamPolice.jpg

And it gets worse. I really have no explanations and no excuses for these:

CelticFC.jpg

Joy_Division_Closer.jpg

Supertramp-BreakfastInAmerica-Front.jpg

Winniethepooh.jpg

White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground when it came out in the UK, and you didn't need to get it as an expensive import anymore.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground when it came out in the UK, and you didn't need to get it as an expensive import anymore.

What cover have you got: Mostly black with white writing, or white with toy soldiers on it? Mine has the toy soldiers, but it would have been much later that I got interested in the Velvets, probably 1990s.

What cover have you got: Mostly black with white writing, or white with toy soldiers on it? Mine has the toy soldiers, but it would have been much later that I got interested in the Velvets, probably 1990s.

It's got the soldiers on it. I'm not sure why they changed the cover for the UK - I prefer the original American cover.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot