IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Is it proper to assume that if you use a USB/SPDIF converter the USB cable is either less important or not important at all? My initial guess is that you still want a decent one because it is still in the "path". (BTW I am using the JK Cuinas and I use a cheap Belden cable)

I think the USB cable plays a big part in the sound with a USB/SPDIF converter. When I owned the Berkley USB Alpha converter the USB made a big difference in sound. I ran an Audioquest Diamond and Purist Dominus digital cable. I thought it was a good combo. I worked my way up the food chain to the Diamond and with each change I heard an improvement.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Anybody heard the new Pranawire Photon USB cable? Is it as good as the Lightspeed and Ultimate? One other USB cable that might rate with these USB cables is the Entreq. I have a friend that thinks the Entreq is better than the Diamond. I have not heard either of these cables but I would like to.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I tried 10 different USB cables (Pangea, Kimber, DHT, WW Coffee,etc.) from the Cable Company in all different price ranges and settled on the Cardas Clear which was the best bang for the buck. Then an audiophile friend of mine let me borrow his Wireworld Platinum Starlight for a weekend. To say I was shocked at the difference is an understatement. EVERYTHING sounded better so I got one at a good price from Underwood Hi-Fi in Hawaii. I can't say how it would sound in another system, and for my Parasound ZDAC/Schiit Lyr/HE-500 system, it is ALMOST as big of a difference as upgrading Pangea powercables to Cardas Clear.

Yea I have not heard anything Pangea that I like and that include interconnects, speaker wires, power cables, and USB cables. A friend of mine has it all and if defiantly has a sound which I don’t care for but to be fair I listen to cables which cost a lot more.

I have the Audioquest Diamond and like the sound especially the treble, very smooth top. I could use a little more bass details although. I have not tried the Wireworld Platinum but after reading on this site, I don’t think it is my cup of tea so to speak. I think the Diamond and the Wireworld are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I prefer the other end. It is all preference at this level. They are all excellent cables.

Yea I have not heard anything Pangea that I like and that include interconnects, speaker wires, power cables, and USB cables. A friend of mine has it all and if defiantly has a sound which I don’t care for but to be fair I listen to cables which cost a lot more.

I have the Audioquest Diamond and like the sound especially the treble, very smooth top. I could use a little more bass details although. I have not tried the Wireworld Platinum but after reading on this site, I don’t think it is my cup of tea so to speak. I think the Diamond and the Wireworld are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I prefer the other end. It is all preference at this level. They are all excellent cables.

I don't see the Platinum and the Diamond as opposite sides of the spectrum, but I kind of understand what you mean. it seems that the Purist Ultimate would be a worthy upgrade for you if you're willing to shell out the extra bucks. the Lightspeed, which I prefer, has a faster and more accurate LFs than the Diamond, but without losing the HF extension. come to think of it, you should try both the Ultimate and the Lightspeed. each system needs something different and here the Lightspeed was the better fit.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Thanks reverendo I really liked your reviews. I am considering the Lightspeed and Utimate after your reviews. I was just wondering if the Pranawire Photon was in the same class. The Entreq is pretty expensive, I heard around $2500 which seems like a lot for a USB cable.

I am going to test the iUSB with 2 Diamond wires and see if I like it better than one. I know I hate to do it, but I just feel like I must. This will tell me whether I will be running 2 USB cables in the future or 1. Then I will look at these other cables.

BTW all of these usb cables WAY better plugged into a Paul Pang USB Card instead of the crappy USB port on your computer, but most of you already knew that. JPlay is coming out with their version of a USB card that I'll be trying as soon as it comes out-hopefully next month.

Do you think the iUSB device makes the USB card obsolete?

Why use 2 USB cables?

Just use your best cable into the ifi, and a hard Female A -> Male B adapter between the ifi and your DAC? This has to be better than any cable, and significantly cheaper...

image.jpg

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Why use 2 USB cables?

Just use your best cable into the ifi, and a hard Female A -> Male B adapter between the ifi and your DAC? This has to be better than any cable, and significantly cheaper...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9321[/ATTACH]

I think your idea is a good one and I will probably try it. It would defiantly be cheaper than buying two USB cables. Have you compared yours to using 2 USB cables?

I think your idea is a good one and I will probably try it. It would defiantly be cheaper than buying two USB cables. Have you compared yours to using 2 USB cables?

I wish! ;) My ifi was ordered over a week ago from Music Direct and still hasn't shipped. :.(

This adapter is marked as shipped today and says it should be here by Th. I'll let you know when this stuff is here is a week or two (hopefully).

Yeah, let's you focus on your main USB cable.

Another thing to try (it's cheap enough hah) is the 6" Belkin from Amazon. So short that I can't imagine much in the way of losses, etc. This was my original intention before I found that adapter. These are only about $7-8 shipped. ;)

Amazon.com: Belkin Components 6in USB Ab Device Daisy Chain for USB Hub: Electronics

What is the deal with the supply of the ifi? Did you have to wait very long for your ifi when you ordered it?

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

I wish! ;) My ifi was ordered over a week ago from Music Direct and still hasn't shipped. :.(

This adapter is marked as shipped today and says it should be here by Th. I'll let you know when this stuff is here is a week or two (hopefully).

Yeah, let's you focus on your main USB cable.

Another thing to try (it's cheap enough hah) is the 6" Belkin from Amazon. So short that I can't imagine much in the way of losses, etc. This was my original intention before I found that adapter. These are only about $7-8 shipped. ;)

Amazon.com: Belkin Components 6in USB Ab Device Daisy Chain for USB Hub: Electronics

What is the deal with the supply of the ifi? Did you have to wait very long for your ifi when you ordered it?

Mine already shipped. I ordered on Thursday and I should have it on Tuesday. I ordered from MCV-consulting.com. I have dealt with Simon on several occasions and he is a good guy. I like him but no 30 day trial period. I will just resale it here if I decide not to use it.

I have this cable also... quite nicely done with listening...

I really really like Kimber Cable's USB Cu cable. All silver is a bit too bright for me, and all copper usually sounds a bit dull. The Cu has 6% silver, oversized conductors, and a decent insulation sheath on it. Sounds really great. Fast, accurate, no extended decay, no truncated decay either.

Cheap too. ;)

Your taste may vary of course, but this really really works well with my system.

-Paul

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

I have the Purist Ultimate in house breaking in. It has run for 4 or 5 days and I have to agree with reverendo here on CA the Ultimate is a better USB cable than the Diamond cable. It has much more body and is overall more refined, maybe not quite as much HF extension. I like the Ultimate better and have sold my Diamond USB cable. From the first moment I could tell my system had moved up at least one level in quality. The resolution is so much better especially in the bass end. It is such an improvement in my system it has me excited again about my system.

I have the Purist Ultimate in house breaking in. It has run for 4 or 5 days and I have to agree with reverendo here on CA the Ultimate is a better USB cable than the Diamond cable. It has much more body and is overall more refined, maybe not quite as much HF extension. I like the Ultimate better and have sold my Diamond USB cable. From the first moment I could tell my system had moved up at least one level in quality. The resolution is so much better especially in the bass end. It is such an improvement in my system it has me excited again about my system.

good to see two people with so different systems agreeing on the main traits of the cables... it's subjective, but not THAT subjective after all.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

My ultrashort review. In my system the Mapleshade plus USB is better than the Nordost blue heaven and the Kimber USB. Better soundstage and even more holografic with that cable:)

Speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PLC350/CPW GS/GXW15

Amplifier: ModWright KWI 200 - Yamaha RX-A 3020

DAC: Bryston BDA-1 - Berkley Alpha Design USB

HTPC: Mac Mini 2,6QC I7 256SSD 4GB ram

Cables: Chord super Epic Twin - Straight Wire AES/EBU - Mapleshade Plus USB - Taralabs Air RCA

Tweeks: Sort Kones BC

BTW all of these usb cables WAY better plugged into a Paul Pang USB Card instead of the crappy USB port on your computer, but most of you already knew that. JPlay is coming out with their version of a USB card that I'll be trying as soon as it comes out-hopefully next month.

Where can I buy a Paul Pang USB card? Do they have PCI as I don't have a PCIe slot. Does the Paul Pang USB card work with Server 2012?

Where can I buy a Paul Pang USB card? Do they have PCI as I don't have a PCIe slot. Does the Paul Pang USB card work with Server 2012?

SHOPPING AREA: AUDIO GRADE USB 3.0 PCIE CARD

Yeah I'm interested too. Will it be compatible with the new mac pro coming out.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

Yeah I'm interested too. Will it be compatible with the new mac pro coming out.

Well the New Mac Pro has no internal expansion so it won't be compatible directly; perhaps it will work with a Thunderbolt to PCIe expansion chassis.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

What about a modded thunderbolt card or something. idk

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

So it looks like I need a power supply. Should I start with an ATX power connector or buy a linear power supply. Am I going to get any benefit running Server 2012 using this USB card without a linear power supply? What linear power supply?

It also looks like the express slot card is the only one made now. I need PCI not express.

Mapleshade Audio Clearlink USB (Plus version) - at less than half the price of the Coffee, which I had in my system for months, it was clearly superior. Has some advantages due to not binding power and signal wires close together.

I cannot speak of the Coffee, however, the Mapleshade is the best USB cable I have used to date. It was immediate to me once music played, very resolving without any negatives...the performance comes alive. My only complaint is the cable is quite fragile, however, I gather from the documentation, it's construction is the very reason it sounds as good as it does.

Cheers!

German Proverb: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"