IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Or you could try the 10 meter Corning cable at a hair more than $10.00 per meter. People like the improvements as well.

I haven't listened with the Corning cable, but note from considerable experience that unfortunately for us consumers it's rare for a cheap cable (or component) to compete with the better ones up the line, assuming the system and listener's ears are up to the differences. In the case of a USB cable, the consensus of developers is that shorter is better, which would put a 10m cable at a considerable disadvantage, all things being equal.

Then I'd skip the U.S. Distributor, buy from the UK and ship it to the USA:

Vertere Pulse HB Double USB Cable

What's the difference between that and this: Vertere Acoustics Pulse R Double USB Interconnect Cable?

Follow up: Oh, I misread it: it's not hand built but "closest to the hand built." Not sure what "Utilising conductors and construction principles contiguous with the hand-built version" means exactly, but would be interesting to hear a comparison.

I haven't listened with the Corning cable, but note from considerable experience that unfortunately for us consumers it's rare for a cheap cable (or component) to compete with the better ones up the line, assuming the system and listener's ears are up to the differences. In the case of a USB cable, the consensus of developers is that shorter is better, which would put a 10m cable at a considerable disadvantage, all things being equal.

The Corning converts to and from optical impulses at the terminations, so the 10m length isn't comparable to purely electrical USB cables.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

different does not equal better ; I would not spend a kopek on a non certified computer cable, that is non able to respect protocols

you live quite happily with cheap but certified Belkin's while waiting for the replacement

How many replacements will they send you until they decide to no longer warranty the cable?

This is a sincere question, not intending to be snarky.

I didn't read the whole Corning usb cable thread, but it seems the failure rate is almost 100% which means you will be on an endless treadmill of cable returns. Of course, please correct me if I am missing something, but at this point, I don't know why anyone would buy the Corning cable.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I didn't read the whole Corning usb cable thread, but it seems the failure rate is almost 100% which means you will be on an endless treadmill of cable returns. Of course, please correct me if I am missing something, but at this point, I don't know why anyone would buy the Corning cable.

1) it sounds great

2) Corning will get it right ... I'll just assume it's a bad batch

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

How many replacements will they send you until they decide to no longer warranty the cable?

This is a sincere question, not intending to be snarky.

Also: when using the Corning USB cable you don't actually have any USB cable in your system!!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Found another interesting filtered USB cable from Straightwire and its price is more reasonable: Straightwire USBF Filtered USB Audio Cable

"Discrete filter circuits for both power and data signals are employed at the source (A) end. These greatly reduce noise and data errors that come from most notebook computers and most USB source devices."

Anybody has experience with this cable?

I've been listening to this cable over the past weekend. It costs $150 for 1m. I haven't heard the expensive, exotic USB cables reviewed by others in this thread, so I can't comment on how it compares with them.

I also have Straightwire's standard USB cable which is nicely made and sounds quite good for a budget cable ($42 for 1m). The new filtered cable certainly outperforms it by a wide margin.

With the filtered cable, the position of instruments in the orchestra is much better defined. You get a real sense of the depth (front to back) of the soundstage and the atmosphere of the venue is much more present. The tone of instruments is very realistic ... cello and flute in particular were outstanding.

I think this cable is very neutral while taking things up a notch. There's no coloration. It definitely sounds more open and you do hear more low level detail but it's natural sounding.

I'm not sure how long this cable has been available, and I'd love to see other reviews.

What prompted me to try this? I recently got an Uptone Audio REGEN and was totally blown away by how much it improved the sound of even a garden variety USB cable. That convinced me that USB signal integrity definitely contributes to sound quality.

The REGEN plugs in to your DAC with a small adapter.

This Straightwire cable has power and data filters at the source (computer) end. I haven't yet tried this new cable with the REGEN but I'm quite confident that the combination will be even better.

I'm quite surprised because my Ayre QB-9 DSD and Berkeley Alpha USB have very good isolation. Clearly even these devices benefit from feeding them better input.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I've been listening to this cable over the past weekend. It costs $150 for 1m. I haven't heard the expensive, exotic USB cables reviewed by others in this thread, so I can't comment on how it compares with them.

I also have Straightwire's standard USB cable which is nicely made and sounds quite good for a budget cable ($42 for 1m). The new filtered cable certainly outperforms it by a wide margin.

With the filtered cable, the position of instruments in the orchestra is much better defined. You get a real sense of the depth (front to back) of the soundstage and the atmosphere of the venue is much more present. The tone of instruments is very realistic ... cello and flute in particular were outstanding.

I think this cable is very neutral while taking things up a notch. There's no coloration. It definitely sounds more open and you do hear more low level detail but it's natural sounding.

I'm not sure how long this cable has been available, and I'd love to see other reviews.

What prompted me to try this? I recently got an Uptone Audio REGEN and was totally blown away by how much it improved the sound of even a garden variety USB cable. That convinced me that USB signal integrity definitely contributes to sound quality.

The REGEN plugs in to your DAC with a small adapter.

This Straightwire cable has power and data filters at the source (computer) end. I haven't yet tried this new cable with the REGEN but I'm quite confident that the combination will be even better.

I'm quite surprised because my Ayre QB-9 DSD and Berkeley Alpha USB have very good isolation. Clearly even these devices benefit from feeding them better input.

I have the standard Straight Wire USB cable and have the Regen on order. I would be really interested to hear how the filtered cable works with the Regen.

Jim

I have the standard Straight Wire USB cable and have the Regen on order. I would be really interested to hear how the filtered cable works with the Regen.Jim

They sound great together. I'd follow your plan and do the REGEN first. I think you will be impressed. It's really hard to determine the relative contribution of each component. The REGEN alone may be sufficient to max out the potential of your DAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I'll post this here, too, since I believe that it has a lot to do with USB cables and their comparison. I also did a short cable comparison in order to assess if the REGEN made differences between cables a non-issue.

I have finally have the time to write my impressions. I tested the REGEN in two different systems.

The first system was at the Lone Star Audio Fest here in Dallas. I received the REGEN on Saturday and went to the LSAF on Sunday late afternoon. Luckily Dave from Raven Audio still had his system set up and he was so kind to let me use it. Sunday afternoon the kids were at home and a decent comparison session would have been impossible BTW, his system has me, a solid-state-guy, rethinking tubes and definitely showed me that I had listened to the Legacy Audio Aeris speakers in a terrible system.

Here's his system: PC > Mytek Manhatten > Goldfinch pre/Silhoutte Mk 2 pre > Spirit Mk2 Monos > Legacy Audio Focus HD. All cables were Douglas Connection top cables (I bought the Alpha-1 speaker cables after our listening session).

There's not much to say, actually, since the difference was so immediate and obvious that we only swapped it out once just in order to get a better grip on the differences. Dave also has very trained ears and our observations were pretty much the same. We quickly re-inserted the REGEN, since listening just wasn't as enjoyable without it anymore. I'll describe the main improvements at the end of this post.

Today I also had finally some time to listen to it in my system, since I had been travelling since Monday.

Here's my system: SBT w/ Welborne PSU > Resolution Audio Cantata > Gryphon Diablo > Evolution Acoustics MicroOne. I was using the Light Harmonic Lightspeed red USB cable. I also used a "normal" USB cable with a ferrite in order to see if cables matter with a REGEN in the digital chain.

So, enough talk... here's a summary of the results:

w/ REGEN

• cleaned the whole sound, but not in a abrasive/chemical way. It's as if dust and dirt has been removed from crevices and corners revealing textures that were hidden and, simultaneously, someone showed up with a wet cloth, which made colours and timbres come to life, but in a completely natural way. Taking the REGEN out took timbres, colors and textures away, as if a fine gray dust had settled on the sound. The following points are probably the result of this main trait.
  • sound stage depth increased quite a bit
  • small inflections and inner detail increased quite a lot. I started to hear new details in the lower and mid frequencies, so in the regions that aren't necessarily affected if there were a fake tilt in the higher frequencies that sometimes create a sense of detail.
  • complex harmonics like Timpani and Glockenspiel decay were far more resolved and natural
  • wood sounds like wood (e.g knocking on double bass), and the prior sounds that mimicked wood now sound more like thick cardboard.

Belive me, it's hard to live without it after having it in your system.

Comparing the Lightspeed with my normal USB cable with ferrite made both cables sound spookily close. I guess that differences between good cables and the top cables will still be there, but by a far smaller fraction. The main differences were a slight lack of finesse and a less resolved sound, but it was subtle. I'm not even sure that many will be able to spot the differences without going back and forth quite a few times.

I know see that this post could sound like an ad, so let me make it clear: I am NOT affiliated with the creators of the REGEN, although I'd love to be able brag about having contributed to any of it. Unfortunately, like most of us here, we didn't. So, honor to whom honor is due, John and Alex. #respect

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

R. I. P.

CORNING USB 3 OPTICAL CABLE

born April 15, 2014 - deceased May 8, 2015

Post #762

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index31.html

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

R. I. P.

CORNING USB 3 OPTICAL CABLE

born April 15, 2014 - deceased May 8, 2015

Post #762

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/uptone-audio-regen-22803/index31.html

Shhh - you don't wanna squash next month's thriving used sales market!

;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

shhh - you don't wanna squash next month's thriving used sales market!

;)

lol! :)

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers