IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

The Elijah Audio Konvertible cable provides improved instrument separation/definition, though I am not saying "air" between instruments.

I also get more acoustical property of instruments, such as what I describe as timbre, musician's attack, and controlled treble.

I also get better bass and "sub-bass" (is that a real term?) definition between the bass the kick-drum.

"Braided Silver Plated Copper Over Data Pair" is a good start, however the impedance is still quoted as 90 ohms +-13 ohms.

How much per Metre did you pay for this cable ?

I consider the description of impedance value another good point, most of the cables doesn't have any spec value.

If I remember correctly I spent ~25USD for a meter but I think is an high price due to the fact I asked for less than 100ft.

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

I will try to post a picture of the cable when I return home

Could you take one for the team and see if the [ $7.33 Belkin ] sounds four times better?

It went up to $7.33 on Amazon.com and prime shipping said it would take 3 to 5 days, so I cancelled that order. Sorry.

I re-ordered. Two this time. Now they say it will get here on Saturday. The mysteries of Amazon Prime.

They arrived last night. It appears I finally cheaped out just a little too much. Here's a picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25039[/ATTACH]

Wonder what the silver-plated version costs?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just wondering if you guys have the same opinion on audiophile fuses?

I think fuses depends quite a lot on the project of the equipment. I stopped my itch to upgrade the Cantata when I changed fuses, but I'm not sure that it's universally applicable just because it made a difference in that equipment.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Thanks for the advice here! I believe that I will order the Uptone Audio USB Regen and keep my WW Platinum USB cable for a comparison. Perhaps later on I could see about purchasing the LH- LightSpeed cable.. Who knows, maybe by that time, reverendo may have found a better cable much cheaper in price..hehehehe

Windows XP/7 > J River MC 20 > Wire World Platinum Starlight USB cable > Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre dac > Straight Wire Crescendo IC's > Odd Watt Audio Odd Block tube amps > custom speaker cables > Galt Audio 2.5 speakers > 15" Aura Sound subwoofer in Ported Reflex Enclosure/1000watt amp

I also wanted to add that I thought about using one of my USB ports and internally disconnecting the voltage instead of using something to block the voltage on the outside.. would this be OK? :~)

Windows XP/7 > J River MC 20 > Wire World Platinum Starlight USB cable > Peachtree Audio Grand-Pre dac > Straight Wire Crescendo IC's > Odd Watt Audio Odd Block tube amps > custom speaker cables > Galt Audio 2.5 speakers > 15" Aura Sound subwoofer in Ported Reflex Enclosure/1000watt amp

I also wanted to add that I thought about using one of my USB ports and internally disconnecting the voltage instead of using something to block the voltage on the outside.. would this be OK? :~)

If you are using a front USB 2.0 port you could cut the red wire just before it enters the internal USB plug . Don't cut it too close though, in case you need to join it again !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I just picked up the Oyaide Neo d+ Class A USB Cable that was reviewed here: Oyaide Neo d+ Class A USB 2.0 Cable | The Absolute Sound

I'm upgrading from a Belkin gold and will report back. I don't expect to hear any difference on my Schiit Bifrost Multibit to Odyssey Candela to Odyssey Kismet in Stratos Monos to Magnepan 3.7.

The Oyaide Neo d+ Class S has been the only USB cable I've bought. I was persuaded by the eye diagrams. (It actually happens to be the only branded cable I own ... Rest is DIY or freebies with computer gear).

There are few reviews and few seem to use it. I was only able to compare it with the cheapest AQ cable. While I thought it significantly better than that cheap AQ, I do wonder what benefits might come by replacing it with a Curious cable ...

Good luck with the Class A :-)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

The Curious USB cable is The real McCoy!

My journey through USB cables has progressed as follows:

Generic > Oyaide Neo > Nordost Heimdall (only as a loaner) > Lightspeed split USB > Audience AU24SE > Curious Cable

I would rank them in that order also in terms of increasingly better sound quality, with the caveats that the Nordost and Lightspeed were close but do different things (Nordost richer and a tad more forgiving; Lightspeed very detailed, less forgiving but very transparent) and I would characterize the Audience and the Curious very close as well.

Steve

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

• 1 month later...
I am currently looking for a USB cable that will fit my system, so I'm not looking for "THE BEST" cable, but the one that will work the best according to my ears.

I'd like to discourage those who do not hear differences in USB cables (or all cables) to post on this thread. I understand and respect your opinions and findings, but we'll have to agree to disagree. As human beings we all have different physical abilities. Some can run long stretches, some are fast swimmers, some are lift heavy weights... you get my point. This also applies to the physical part of listening, too. It's also true that we don't have the same experience (and/or training) in processing the information that our brain receives and, of course, this also applies to listening. So please, PLEASE, let's not let this thread become a discussion about placebo effects vs. hearing and listening disabilities, ok?

A few words about myself (for what it's worth): I have studied classical composition at a University level, have worked as a production consultant on a few albums and work with arrangements for voices, brass and orchestra now and then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3261[/ATTACH]

The cables I had the chance to compare were: Resolution Audio Cantata stock USB Cable, AudioQuest Coffee, Wireworld Silver Starlight, Locus Desing Axis and Synergistic Research Basik Active. This is also the sequence in which I listened to them. I will sum up my findings. For those who want are more in-depth description please refer here to my original post in a Brazilian hifi-forum (for those who understand Portuguese or are willing to use Google Translate).

The AQ Coffee definitely didn't do it for me, though it was a very noticeable improvement compared to the stock cable. The name is very fitting: in my system it was very energetic, detailed and fast cable. The major problem was with the HF which was slightly veiled and had severe decay issues (almost no decay whatsoever). Timbres also suffered compared to the other cables. The result was a cable that was very detailed, but that didn't create a cohesive sound stage, resulting in a dissected sound. Therefore I had hyper-layering and very good placement on sound stage, but the music didn't mesh.

The WW Silver Starlight had all the detail of the Coffee, but with far better decay in the HFs. Timbres were better and LFs were stellar. Sound stage was larger, but had less depth than the Coffee. It bettered the Coffee in all regards except for depth and sounded far more natural.

The LD Axis had great LF, but not as good as the Silver Starlight. It had spectacular decay in the HFs, which gave the whole cable a very refined sound. Sound stage was large and spacious. In my system the Axis had good micro-dynamics. The mids, OTOH, were slightly veiled. Higher mids and treble had very good plasticity (for the lack of a better word). Treble is simply SOTA. It's a shame that the mids weren't on par with the HF.

The SR Basik Active's first impression was simply holographic. Sound was very, very 3D. Had similar depth of Coffee, but now I had a continuous and coherent sound stage. LFs were better than Axis, but not as detailed as the Silver Starlight. Excellent timbre all around. Treble decay was very good, but not in the same league as the Axis. Fantastic mids. Clear and clean, very musical and with loads of detail. Probably as fast as the Coffee, but without the negatives. The best tonal balance and, by far, the best mids of the group.

The best cost/benefit cable of the group was, without doubt, the WW Silver Starlight. The SR Basik Active was my favorite, but I'm very interested in getting to know the Platinum, based on what it's smaller sibling did for my system. The fact that I needed an extra outlet for the Basik doesn't make it very appealing to me.

I hope these comments might help point others into the right direction.

Best regards

André

I still haven't stepped into digital whole heartily (analogue vinyl for me).

I read very positive things about the Audioquest jitterbug which can be plugged into the USB port and then you cable plugs into it.

If you try this would like to hear your experiences. Its not very expensive.

For me, what I read about Meridian MQA looks good. Maybe this will be the tipping point but I have yet to hear it for myself.

I still haven't stepped into digital whole heartily (analogue vinyl for me).

I read very positive things about the Audioquest jitterbug which can be plugged into the USB port and then you cable plugs into it.

If you try this would like to hear your experiences. Its not very expensive.

For me, what I read about Meridian MQA looks good. Maybe this will be the tipping point but I have yet to hear it for myself.

Hi xyzzy1,

At the moment I'm happy with the amber REGEN in my chain, although I haven't invested in a alternative power supply for it. I might try to work with other gadgets and I'm not sure that the jitterbug + firefly complement each other, since I don't know much about the latter. I'm still thinking of working on the acoustics of the room, a possible valve in my chain and maybe a speaker upgrade, but if a USB cable and/or gadget shows up here at home I'd probably take the time to compare it to what I have and know.

Best regards

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

• 1 month later...

Generic > Oyaide Neo > Nordost Heimdall (only as a loaner) > Lightspeed split USB > Audience AU24SE > Curious Cable

I would rank them in that order also in terms of increasingly better sound quality, with the caveats that the Nordost and Lightspeed were close but do different things (Nordost richer and a tad more forgiving; Lightspeed very detailed, less forgiving but very transparent) and I would characterize the Audience and the Curious very close as well.

Steve

Revisiting this ranking with all USB reclockers, filters and other "USB enhancers" such as REGEN, RUR, AQ Jitterbugs removed from the path and comparing straight cable to cable, using both an Aurender N100H and a Sonore microRendu to output a USB signal to the DAC I would reverse the top two rankings. Audience AU24 SE best, over a very good second place Curious Cable.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

Revisiting this ranking with all USB reclockers, filters and other "USB enhancers" such as REGEN, RUR, AQ Jitterbugs removed from the path and comparing straight cable to cable, using both an Aurender N100H and a Sonore microRendu to output a USB signal to the DAC I would reverse the top two rankings. Audience AU24 SE best, over a very good second place Curious Cable.

Caught my attention, since two of the top three USB cables in my systems are the Audience Au24 SE and the Curious cable.

And I've found basically the same thing, that when I've used one of the fine gizmos -- Uptone Regen or W4S RUR -- I preferred the Curious cable over the Audience, if only slightly.

But when I've gone direct from my Aurender device (N10), I'd also say the Audience Au24 SE is clearly best, over a very good second place Curious.

Doesn't, of course, mean either Steve or I are "right," but parallel experiences are always fascinating.

Dave, who says the third top USB cable he sometimes still uses is the TotalDac D1 with its black box

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And I've found basically the same thing, that when I've used one of the fine gizmos -- Uptone Regen or W4S RUR -- I preferred the Curious cable over the Audience, if only slightly.

But when I've gone direct from my Aurender device (N10), I'd also say the Audience Au24 SE is clearly best, over a very good second place Curious.

With the microRendu, the Audience Au24 SE easily came out on top over the Curious.

I can't say how the Curious compared to the Audience when using a gizmo (Regen) because I didn't make the comparison.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi xyzzy1,

At the moment I'm happy with the amber REGEN in my chain, although I haven't invested in a alternative power supply for it. I might try to work with other gadgets and I'm not sure that the jitterbug + firefly complement each other, since I don't know much about the latter. I'm still thinking of working on the acoustics of the room, a possible valve in my chain and maybe a speaker upgrade, but if a USB cable and/or gadget shows up here at home I'd probably take the time to compare it to what I have and know.

Best regards

For room treatment get as much soft cloth as possible on your walls. Curtains, of course, and decorative rugs or anything else soft to cut down on hard surface reflections.

I have my audio system in the basement (man cave) and have made wall panels out of felt material. Basically 20 yds of felt along the wall behind the speaker and the side walls. Great for sound if you have the flexibility.

Also, the jitterbug is designed for any USB dac.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi Gilles, regarding upgrade, I now have the Transparent Premium USB in my system for a the last three months. This cable bested by a good to infinite margin, Audioquest Diamond, Oyaide Continental 5S, Silnote Poseidon, Transparent Performance and Wireworld Starlight 7. Not cheap though.

Since I'm from Montreal too, It could be fun to compare the Clearlink plus to the Premium. I was tempted to order the Clearlink couple months back.

Actually i think Transparent Audio was crap in past but these days i hear it make good USB cable in Performance range.

300$ for 1.5m

Maybe i try it