IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

I am very curious your thoughts on this comparison. Purist 30th Anniversary is a stellar cable and priced well, IME. I would be happy to send you my Vertere Pulse R 1.5 meter to add in the mix. Just send it back as it was stupid expensive. I am not using it at the moment. PM me, if interested.

-j

I am very curious your thoughts on this comparison. Purist 30th Anniversary is a stellar cable and priced well, IME. I would be happy to send you my Vertere Pulse R 1.5 meter to add in the mix. Just send it back as it was stupid expensive. I am not using it at the moment. PM me, if interested.

-j

I am in tehran , Iran.

Amir Hossein Akbari

Unit 3

First Floor

NO.13

Khansari Deadend

Somayeh Street

Shariati Street

Tehran

Iran

As long as you use a non-optical USB Cable, your setup and cable will be subject to interference (most DACs) - the USB cable being a weak link with several effects elsewhere.

Look into trying HQ Player on a server computer, with Ethernet into a small NAA (Network-Attached Audio device) itself then connected to your DAC by wither a really, really short USB cable or a hard connector (or a short Curious USB if you have that, or I2S if that's possible - not sure here).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I'm not sure what an optical USB cable is, but there are a lot simpler ways than a NAS or server to cut interference substantially if this is a computer set up. One is PS Audio's LanRover, which I'm using. My Quad speakers have been dead quiet since installing it. I think there are other similar options as well.

I'm not sure what an optical USB cable is, but there are a lot simpler ways than a NAS or server to cut interference substantially if this is a computer set up. One is PS Audio's LanRover, which I'm using. My Quad speakers have been dead quiet since installing it. I think there are other similar options as well.

An NAA isn't a NAS.

There are many ways to do it.

As for an optical USB cable, it is a real digital USB cable as opposed to your normal USB cable, which in fact carries analogue voltage levels with ramp up and down times.

Look up Corning USB.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thanks for clarifying that and correcting my misread. Rereading your post, the two-piece LanRover setup seems not all that different, although w/o requiring a server. The claim, which I and others can attest to, is that it galvanically isolates a dac from a computer or music server. It can be part of short runs, such as I have from computer underneath my desk to dac on top, or much longer ones, such as from another part of a residence.

Thanks for clarifying that and correcting my misread. Rereading your post, the two-piece LanRover setup seems not all that different, although w/o requiring a server. The claim, which I and others can attest to, is that it galvanically isolates a dac from a computer or music server. It can be part of short runs, such as I have from computer underneath my desk to dac on top, or much longer ones, such as from another part of a residence.

How are you going to use two LanRovers without a server?

Server + NAA = 2 pieces of gear.

In LanRover: Server + LanRover1 + LanRover2 = 3 pieces of gear.

With direct (e.g., desktop) computer audio, LanRover 1 + LanRover 2 = two pieces of gear, and presumably a less money in most cases (I got in on LR beta testing, so saved a bit more).

How: Computer's USB port or in my case JCAT card --> LanRover 1 via 20 cm Curious USB cable --> LanRover 2 via short LAN cable, Acoustic Revive 0.5m top quality cheap on eBay --> PS Audio Directstream dac via 1m USB cable (TotalDac cable/filter, which I already had). One can add a Jitterbug and Regen in there too, which I was using previously but haven't tested since the LanRover came.

For players (USB), I use JPlay + either foobar for quick setup or Bug Head Infinity Blade, which seems to be the best sonically out there but takes a few minutes to set up each time. Also Process Lasso and Fidelizer Pro in the mix.

With direct (e.g., desktop) computer audio

That's your server right there.

So there's no difference at all in requiring a computer (which I term the server since it serves files to the DAC)...

Highstream

How does the TotalDac USB compare to the Curious link? Have you tried that?

I had Totaldac and Curious.

Preferred Curious by a tight margin.

But finally WireWorld platinum eclipse is better from both by far. The detail and presence is awesome. And with right system balance musicality shines as well.

Of course from a different budget Stealth USB-T is my reference, has it all.

Budget wise up to 1000$ WireWorld platinum 7 is da King.

Over that budget Stealth rules.

Highstream

How does the TotalDac USB compare to the Curious link? Have you tried that?

No, not yet, since with the 20 cm Curious it would require moving the LRs onto my desk, where there isn't much room with a larger dac. I wouldn't be surprised if they are very close, as one comment said.

The Wireworld is Platinum Starlight not Eclipse. The pro reviews have been unanimous that tonality is not one of its most outstanding strengths, of which it has a few, while for me tonality comes first. To each their tastes and systems.

Has anyone upgraded from Transparent Performance USB to Premium? I am tempted to do so.

Hi Blackstone

I upgraded my performance to premium but i didnt like it so much, sounded hrash.

Now i am using total dac usb, which is far better in my system.

Ascend Acoustics sierra 2//Modwright KWI 200//Luxman DA-06

Total dac usb//Transparent usb//Stealth pgs08//Kubala sosna Fascination//Kimber pk10 gold//audience powerchord se//Siltech Ruby hill ii//Vibex one7

I had Totaldac and Curious.

Preferred Curious by a tight margin.

But finally WireWorld platinum eclipse is better from both by far. The detail and presence is awesome. And with right system balance musicality shines as well.

Of course from a different budget Stealth USB-T is my reference, has it all.

Budget wise up to 1000$ WireWorld platinum 7 is da King.

Over that budget Stealth rules.

FWIW, I had the WW Platinum Starlight 7 for a long time, but much prefer the Curious which, IMO, is superior in bringing out the timbre of instruments. For example. the natural warmth and resonance of acoustic string instruments like the guitar is reproduced better, resulting in a more natural sound. I also find the Curious to be more musical in my system.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

FWIW, I had the WW Platinum Starlight 7 for a long time, but much prefer the Curious which, IMO, is superior in bringing out the timbre of instruments. For example. the natural warmth and resonance of acoustic string instruments like the guitar is reproduced better, resulting in a more natural sound. I also find the Curious to be more musical in my system.

+1

I own also the TotalDac.

Roch

Anybody compare Audience AU24 SE to WW Platinum or the Curious ?

I did though indirectly -- I thought the Lightspeed was much much better than the WWPS7, which sounded tonally threadbare in comparison. However the Curious and Audience turned the tables on the LS which, though detailed and giving an impression of great transparency, sounded lightweight and somewhat thin compared to either of the latter.

I initially thought the Curious was the better of the two over the AU24 SE but when I ditched the REGEN I'd been using I found the Curious was a bit too incisive and ultimately fatiguing while the Audience Hit the sweet spot by being both harmonically richer and ultimately more detailed and transparent without being fatiguing.

I can only surmise that the REGEN, while doing an admirable job taming digital edginess or hardness that might be present with some streamers or commuter sources, ultimately was a bit too much of a good thing after my digital front end improved from Auralic Aries to Aurender N100H to Sonore microRendu.

Since this is somewhat system dependent, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

I can only surmise that the REGEN, while doing an admirable job taming digital edginess or hardness that might be present with some streamers or commuter sources, ultimately was a bit too much of a good thing after my digital front end improved from Auralic Aries to Aurender N100H to Sonore microRendu.

Since this is somewhat system dependent, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

The microRendu has Regen circuitry, so by using both you were actually "doubling up" on Regens.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.