IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

7 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I’m using Lumïn app with RoPieeeXL, HQPlayer embedded and SOtM sMS200 and it works very well (using Bubbleupnpserver), and it is lossless . What do you mean saying “Kazoo only via Wi-Fi”? … Lumïn app too is only wifi …
A control point app cannot be lossy or lossless, it is just a remote command

… and if you use JRiver as a renderer it works with Lumïn too.

My library is more or less 11000 albums on 8TB hdd and on my iPhone 7 and iPad 5gen works fine, both devices are running the last iOS/iPadOS.

I have a iPad 2gen and Lumïn cannot load on it the full library, it stops at 9000 albums.

If I want to use kazoo I have to downloaded on my desktop pc. Then Kazoo application is correlated to lumin app. The playback software kazoo is embedded on my desktop not on lumin equipment. On the other hand lumin software is installed on lumin machine and controlled via app on wifi mode which is ok for lossless sound.

53 minutes ago, NikosTsaf said:

If I want to use kazoo I have to downloaded on my desktop pc. Then Kazoo application is correlated to lumin app. The playback software kazoo is embedded on my desktop not on lumin equipment.

In that scenario Kazoo desktop is acting like Lumïn app on a Mac M1/M2 (as @wklie just specified) and you need to use Bubbleupnpserver if not using a Lumïn streamer.

In my scenario I use Minimserver as media server and Bubbleupnpserver as OpenHome emulator, in this scenario I can use Lumïn app or Linn Kazoo app on my iPad, so it is exactly the same … except that using a desktop app is not so comfortable as using a tablet.

5 hours ago, wklie said:

This is not technically completely true.  Some wired scenarios include:

1. Lumin iOS app on Mac M1 on Ethernet.

2. Lumin iOS app on iPad wired using additional hardware accessories.  A 6moons review did that once.

3. Lumin Android app on Android emulator on Windows on Ethernet.

I know but I find those scenarios not so comfortable 

5 hours ago, wklie said:

By the way, with a large size library, MinimServer requires manual configuration

Of course, a large library on Minimserver make sense only if you have all your files/albums fully tagged, this allow you to get the best experience from Minimserver.

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, NikosTsaf said:

If I want to use kazoo I have to downloaded on my desktop pc. Then Kazoo application is correlated to lumin app. The playback software kazoo is embedded on my desktop not on lumin equipment. On the other hand lumin software is installed on lumin machine and controlled via app on wifi mode which is ok for lossless sound.

This isn't correct for Kazoo.
Linn Kazoo (like the LUMIN App) are UPnP Controllers. They don't influence the signal path.
The signal path is still directly from source to hardware - it doesn't go via the controlling software.
LUMIN hardware will still communicate directly with either your own music library or the streaming source (TIDAL/Quobuz/etc).

There are other software types that aren't pure UPnP Controllers and can influence sound quality such as JRiver/Roon/etc so the above doesn't necessarily apply to those.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

On 10/14/2022 at 4:43 AM, wklie said:

That's a small library when using MinimServer, and is not a problem for Lumin app with today's devices.  By the way, with a large size library, MinimServer requires manual configuration of more heap.

This is not technically completely true.  Some wired scenarios include:

1. Lumin iOS app on Mac M1 on Ethernet.

2. Lumin iOS app on iPad wired using additional hardware accessories.  A 6moons review did that once.

3. Lumin Android app on Android emulator on Windows on Ethernet.

Sorry but this 2011 device is obsolete.

Hello Peter, can you please elaborate "MinimServer requires manual configuration of more heap". What other tasks I have to perform ?

thanks

Nikos

20 minutes ago, NikosTsaf said:

@stefano_mbp

- What are the steps to embedded HQ player in lumin app (android)

- Are you using minimserver 2? (which edition?

HQPlayer cannot be “embedded” in Lumïn app …
HQPlayer embedded can be used as a upnp renderer.

You need to install HQPlayer embedded on a quite powerful pc (Windows or Linux) or Mac or you can run the HQPlayer OS (full ready to run image based on a stripped Linux distro).

To use Lumïn app with HQPlayer embedded you need to run Bubbleupnpserver (it can be installed on a nas, raspberry, pc Windows or Linux, Mac 

I use MinimServer 2 full license with MinimStreamer 

Stefano

My audio system

17 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

HQPlayer cannot be “embedded” in Lumïn app …
HQPlayer embedded can be used as a upnp renderer.

You need to install HQPlayer embedded on a quite powerful pc (Windows or Linux) or Mac or you can run the HQPlayer OS (full ready to run image based on a stripped Linux distro).

To use Lumïn app with HQPlayer embedded you need to run Bubbleupnpserver (it can be installed on a nas, raspberry, pc Windows or Linux, Mac 

I use MinimServer 2 full license with MinimStreamer 

The lumin finds via UPnP search the HQ player already installed in Windows ?

Lumin app and Library woes.

Continuing to battle with the library and the Lumin app. As notified previously, I have a PHD in installing the Lumin app, but that may have to be handed back.

Best results, so far, is to:

a) Reboot the server where Mininmserver is installed

b) remove the Lumin App from Ipad pro (11inch) 3rd generation

c) reinstall the Lumin app

d) reload the library, takes a couple of hours 9418 albums.

This works, until a new album or a few of them are added, then it's all downhill and in the muck and mire again, Lumin app just won't load any new albums.

Click on update library, and after a few minutes, the Lumin app goes offline, then there are hundreds of grey empty icons for all categories, no library. I keep having to reload the library and go through the same sequence. 

If I play from Jriver, the album shows up as now playing in the Lumin app.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

6 minutes ago, One and a half said:

reload the library, takes a couple of hours 9418 albums.

I’m running Minimserver too and Lumïn app takes more or less 40’ to load from scratch my 11000 (more or less) albums library. MinimServer runs on a Intel Nuc8i3/16GB ram/Ubuntu 22.04 and is connected to the lan with a cat6 (1Gbps) Ethernet cable

Which server are you using to run Minimserver? Which cat is the Ethernet cable you use to connect the server to the lan?

12 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Click on update library, and after a few minutes, the Lumin app goes offline, then there are hundreds of grey empty icons for all categories, no library. I keep having to reload the library and go through the same sequence

Do you issue a library rescan before clicking on Update library, and do you wait until the rescan is ended? The Library rescan can be issued:

• from Minimserver menu
  • from Minimwatch menu
  • from Lumïn app menu

Stefano

My audio system

8 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I’m running Minimserver too and Lumïn app takes more or less 40’ to load from scratch my 11000 (more or less) albums library. MinimServer runs on a Intel Nuc8i3/16GB ram/Ubuntu 22.04 and is connected to the lan with a cat6 (1Gbps) Ethernet cable

Which server are you using to run Minimserver? Which cat is the Ethernet cable you use to connect the server to the lan?

Do you issue a library rescan before clicking on Update library, and do you wait until the rescan is ended? The Library rescan can be issued:

• from Minimserver menu
  • from Minimwatch menu
  • from Lumïn app menu

Minimserver PC:

Self built Music Server, commissioned March 24, 2018 120V AC powered from Cyberpower 1500VA Line Interactive UPS
    Supermicro X10SAT-O Motherboard ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150
    Intel Xeon S1150 E3-1220V3 3.1GHz Quad Core CPU
    8GB KIT 4 x 4GB DIMM DDR3 ECC Unbuffered PC3-12800 1600MHz 1600 MHz Ram Memory by CENTERNEX
    Noctua NH-D9L Dual Tower CPU Cooler for Intel LGA 2011-0/LGA 2011
    250GB Samsung 2.5" 850 EVO Series SATA 6Gb/s SSD Drive P/N MZ-75E250BW

2 x 10TB WD Gold Enterprise drive music Files
    JCAT NET XE (with JCAT Optimo PSU)
    Supermicro SuperChassis 900W Mid-Tower Sever P/N CSE-732D4-903B c/w 900W ATX power supply
    Earth bonding to SSD, JCAT, mobo with AA59569F36T0062 Formerly QQ-B-575 Tinned Copper Flat Braid (QQB575F36T0062)
    Windows 10 LTSC

MinimServer 2.1.1 and Minimwatch on client PCs 

First try is "Update library". Doesn't work, clock spins for 'ages' then no change, no additional albums.

I check the Minimwatch icon on a local PC, the Rescan from the Lumin app works, I can see the rescan, the Minimserver is offline at this point, and returns 5s later. Rescan does nothing to add new albums, I find Minimserver takes care of that quite well, I can see the albums added when the copy is finished. 

The ipad pro has 128GB total, 18.2GB is used. There's a Wifi 6 mesh network around the house, connectivity is very good, rarely drops out.. The TP link DECO units transmit on 2.4 and 5GHz bands,

Rebuilding the library takes 3-4 hours. I don't know if the ipad is connected to 5 or 2.4 GHz, the router thinks it's on the wired section, I suppose it decides the IP, rather than the Deco units, which are pretty hopeless at routing, their job is just an access point.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Although no longer a Lumin owner, I ended up using JRIver MC and JRemote as the software for playing music through my A1, S1 and X1.  I used the Lumin app for little more than configuring the Lumin equipment and firmware updates.  I was never able to get the Lumin app to work as well as I would have liked it to and that was with JRiver MC or Minimserver.

Intend to go back to Lumin when the Y1 or the Z1 is developed.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

24 minutes ago, One and a half said:

First try is "Update library". Doesn't work, clock spins for 'ages' then no change, no additional albums.

That is correct, without a library rescan Minimserver cannot detect new added albums.

25 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I check the Minimwatch icon on a local PC, the Rescan from the Lumin app works, I can see the rescan, the Minimserver is offline at this point, and returns 5s later. Rescan does nothing to add new albums, I find Minimserver takes care of that quite well, I can see the albums added when the copy is finished

Can you check Minimserver log during the rescan task? The view log option is on the same menu from which you issue the rescan, maybe the new added albums have some issues and you can find them in the log as, for example, permissions issues or conflicting tags.

For an easier log analysis you can select all log, copy and paste it in a text file, there could be some items beginning with “Error”

33 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I can see the albums added when the copy is finished. 

Where? In the folder structure of your hdd I suppose. This does not guarantee that Minimserver can read them if files have some issue.

38 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Rebuilding the library takes 3-4 hours.

As your server and iPad seem to be up to date and can easily do these tasks I should look at the Wi-Fi network performance.

I’m using an Apple based network, AirPort Extreme router and Airport Express access point, and the performance of my network should be lower then yours, as per specifications, then something wrong seems to happen on your Wi-Fi network.

Can you try, just to try to isolate the issue, to connect your server to the router and to use the Wi-Fi from the same router for your iPad?

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, BlueSkyy said:

Although no longer a Lumin owner, I ended up using JRIver MC and JRemote as the software for playing music through my A1, S1 and X1.  I used the Lumin app for little more than configuring the Lumin equipment and firmware updates.  I was never able to get the Lumin app to work as well as I would have liked it to and that was with JRiver MC or Minimserver.

Intend to go back to Lumin when the Y1 or the Z1 is developed.

Lumin app is fantastic although my library is not very large. The capabilities that lumin machine provides to connect it with other upnp playback software is what make the difference. I am about to test it with a bigger library.

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

First try is "Update library". Doesn't work, clock spins for 'ages' then no change

This is how I do it using Lumin U2 Mini

1. Upload or rip an album to an external HD
  2. Open the album in Mp3Tag and check/correct/add tags to my structure.
  3. Save
  4. Make a backup to another HD
  5. Make a copy of the album to my network NAS (Synology)
  6. Open Lumin app and make a Minimserver Rescan (the Lumin will go offline during this time, roughly 1-2 minutes for rescan 60,000 files)
  7. When the rescan is ready (off line text is out), I go back to Minimserver in the Lumin app and push Update Music Library - which normally take 2-3 minutes in my place.

FE17C30F-0AE3-4DBF-B1D9-680D3D685D59.jpeg.8cc8eb4ae9042272ecc82a55561abffd.jpeg

After the Update I see the albums and date they were uploaded in the tab I have marked below like the albums I uploaded today.

7D5C9323-BA0B-4A10-B82B-D934088AF1A9.thumb.jpeg.966fd5ac30f67cabfe3c0286cb516f97.jpeg