IGNORED

The iFi iUSB Power Supply - Neat Tweak & Upgrade for USB DAC

In this case, I think ifi is worth a try and you may use the Hynes for some other duties or even sell it. AMR claims ifi iUSB power supply has a lower noise than battery; that's a WOW.

Hynes powers the music server. Need it, regardless of whether I use ifi or not.

You may just try a laptop to iUSB and compare it to 'Hynes+Music Server' to iUSB. I suspect the difference will be very little considering that you have a Meitner DAC.

Thanks but no. My CAPS V2+ is a breakthrough IMO. It's not subtle, even versus my Auraliti/SotM or Mac Mini experiences. :)

Thanks but no. My CAPS V2+ is a breakthrough IMO. It's not subtle, even versus my Auraliti/SotM or Mac Mini experiences. :)

Have you bought the iUSBPower? What I meant is that Meitner DAC should treat Jitter well and the iUSB should give you clean USB power and signal as well as isolation; so I guess your Hynes+CAPS/SotM will not play the role as important as before.

My iFi iUSB arrived today, thought I would post some (lousy iphone) pics:

High quality packaging, just like it was an Apple product....

iPhonePictures4255.jpg

iPhonePictures4257.jpg

iPhonePictures4260.jpg

iPhonePictures4263.jpg

iPhonePictures4266.jpg

iPhonePictures4271.jpg

iPhonePictures4274.jpg

iPhonePictures4278.jpg

iPhonePictures4286.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Do you have the twin-headed usb cable? It looks like it may be an option. Do you know how much it costs?

I don't have the twin-headed USB cable, just the standard one that comes with the iUSB. I did not know it was an option until I received the iUSB.

iPhonePictures4290.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi,

I'm interested in using this device with my Halide Bridge. Any idea if it may interfere with Pure Music or Audirvana's integer mode?

Thanks,

cclay

No interference at all with Audirvana Integer Mode.

Do you think this "iFi twin-headed USB cable" uses a design similar to the Acoustic Revive SPS, or the KingRex uArt and uCraft cables? The KingRex cables also have an optional uPower battery supply, which may be a similar concept to the iFi iUSB Power.

I was informed that the iFi cable is not yet available, so I'm wondering if the Acoustic Revive or KingRex cables could be used instead?

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

Nearly all high end components with USB inputs require power from the USB port. I currently have one DAC here that powers the USB receiver chip, the ASUS Xonar Essence One.

Another approach for the 5V from the computer only is to detect the presence of a signal that will arrive. The Dac's differential receiver only needs the common 0V from the computer to refer the two incoming signals (+ and -) and then use the DAC's (superior) internal power supplies to pull up or down and start the decoding process.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hi,

Do you think this "iFi twin-headed USB cable" uses a design similar to the Acoustic Revive SPS, or the KingRex uArt and uCraft cables? The KingRex cables also have an optional uPower battery supply, which may be a similar concept to the iFi iUSB Power.

I was informed that the iFi cable is not yet available, so I'm wondering if the Acoustic Revive or KingRex cables could be used instead?

Allow me to cut in.

Making cables (especially USB ones) is often an excercise in managing suppliers, MOQ's and so on.

At iFi we feel bad to sell you a 500 USD or more cable to go with a 200 USD Powersupply or even to recommend you do so. So we are working on putting something more appropriately priced into production. When? When we can, working on it.

However if you already have those expensive cables, of course they will work, you just need to be sure to connect the two "A" type plugs in the right position.

It is also a possible proposition to take two pcs of normal USB Cables, chop off the "B" type plug and get a new one (10pcs USB Male Type B Plug Connector Socket for DIY | eBay), solder together the two cables into the new plug (make sure to do this neatly, cleanly without long tails of wire curled up) and cover the plug assembly with heatshrink sleeving.

It does work (we have some cables like this internally and some distributors had similar ones made up locally). I would not recommend this for people who expect to regularly plug things in and out (the assembly will be a trifle fragile) and if you do not take decent quality cables and do the job cleanly you may find it does not work. Then again, you may have enough surplus USB 2.0 cables in a drawer and some time on your hands....

Hi,

Allow me to cut in.

Making cables (especially USB ones) is often an exercise in managing suppliers, MOQ's and so on.

At iFi we feel bad to sell you a 500 USD or more cable to go with a 200 USD Powersupply or even to recommend you do so. So we are working on putting something more appropriately priced into production. When? When we can, working on it.

However if you already have those expensive cables, of course they will work, you just need to be sure to connect the two "A" type plugs in the right position.

It is also a possible proposition to take two pcs of normal USB Cables, chop off the "B" type plug and get a new one (10pcs USB Male Type B Plug Connector Socket for DIY | eBay), solder together the two cables into the new plug (make sure to do this neatly, cleanly without long tails of wire curled up) and cover the plug assembly with heatshrink sleeving.

It does work (we have some cables like this internally and some distributors had similar ones made up locally). I would not recommend this for people who expect to regularly plug things in and out (the assembly will be a trifle fragile) and if you do not take decent quality cables and do the job cleanly you may find it does not work. Then again, you may have enough surplus USB 2.0 cables in a drawer and some time on your hands....

Thanks for the cable information. Look forward to acquiring one when they are available!

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

This will be two positive reviews of products for me in a row, so I am about to lose my street cred, but here goes.......

The iFi works as promised.

Before buying the iFi I was using a Belkin powered USB hub, so that I could run Integer Mode in Audirvana+ (my MBP is a 2007 model and due to usb buss power issues with older Macs, a powered USB is needed to run Integer mode).

From the powered hub, I then go to a Bel Canto uLink Asynchronous USB/SPDIF converter which runs off the USB buss power from the computer, then to my DAC.

When I purchased the iFi, I had my doubts whether it would make any audible difference. My thinking was that my uLink already had a filter so the iFi's filter would be redundant. But for $200, I figured I would give the iFi a shot, if for no other reason, the thought of having a cheapo $20 Belkin hub in the chain feeding downstream just seemed wrong.

Happily, I was wrong in my prediction. The positive difference in sound of my system by replacing the Belkin with the iFi was very easy and obvious to hear. It is not a subtle improvement. While the uLink cleaned up the noise to a significant degree, apparently, further improvement was possible with the iFi.

The soundstage focus became tighter with the iFi in place. Cleaning up the noise further also allowed me to hear even more spatial cues, detail and decay. The music emanates from a darker, cleaner background.

Think Pig Pen:

PigPen.gif

versus

Pig Pen without the stink lines:

CleanPigPen.jpg

The iFi is a stink line remover.

The sonic improvements from the iFi are worth much, much more than $200. This product is a "no brainer". Well done iFi.

One minor word of caution I forgot to mention- if you plan on using Audioquest USB cables with the Dialetic Bias System ("DBS") built in (Coffee and Diamond models), make sure you insert that cable only in the output of the iFi. Do not use a DBS cable from your computer to the input of the iFi.

The built-in battery in the Audioquest USB cable does not play nice with the iFi. The sound was not good (bright, shrill, poor focus and soundstaging).

The good news is that using a normal USB cable to the input of the iFi, and then using the DBS-equipped Audioquest USB cable from the output of the iFi works terrific.

It's nice to read positive reviews about this product, but in terms of jitter, I wonder if it is not for one side, lowering it due to the clean power and isolation from the computer, but also increasing it, due to the complete link having 4 end points instead of just 2!...

I would be really interesting to have John Atkinson or Paul Miller measuring it and publishing the results.

Has someone compared this iFi USB power supply to an AQVOX? I am asking the question because I am currently using an AQVOX between my Macbook and my Audiophilleo AP2. I am pleased with it, but if this new toy can bring some improvement, I would be tempted to go and get it.

+1

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

It's nice to read positive reviews about this product, but in terms of jitter, I wonder if it is not for one side, lowering it due to the clean power and isolation from the computer, but also increasing it, due to the complete link having 4 end points instead of just 2!...

I would be really interesting to have John Atkinson or Paul Miller measuring it and publishing the results.

Interesting question, a lot of interfaces are async, so timing is still controlled by the DAC or USB/SPDIF converter. You would have to introduce some very heavy filtering to start to reduce jitter, and by then it affects the sound quality to such a degree, the point of including the device is broken.

Ultimately, you're looking at a super buffer or isolation circuit, well beyond the price of the iUSB.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

It looks like parttimeaudiophile has the iUSB in his possession, so perhaps he will post his feedback as he frequents this site as well:

RMAF12: Avatar Acoustics presents goodies from Rosso Fiorentino and AMR’s new iFi | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile

@audiophilewanabe and one and a half:

I am not sure I am following your theoretical concerns, AMR is a top-notch company and I don't believe they are the type to put a poorly-engineered product on the market that would negatively impact sound quality.

In any event, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I did back forth comparisons ad nauseaum (it is very easy to switch back and forth in rapid fashion for comparisons) and the iFi only improved the sound as I noted above. Everytime, without fail the sound improved with the iFi in place, and the difference is noticeable. 27Globes tried it and from his description, I believe he had the same impressions.

Let's see what others have to say as this product gets into the marketplace. Hopefully parttimeaudiophile will provide his impressions.

Cheers

I don't know about King Rex, but Vincent did recommend Acoustic Revive... However, they intend to have their cable be far more affordable.

Alex

Always on the learning curve...

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
Hi,

I'm interested in using this device with my Halide Bridge. Any idea if it may interfere with Pure Music or Audirvana's integer mode?

Thanks,

cclay

2nd Blake's Experience. I am using the iUSB power supply primarily with Audirvana Plus. But also use it with Amarra

Alex

MBPro i5 > Audioquest Coffee USB > Emotive Audio Customized Valve Preamp > Emotive Audio Custom E-Linear 6L6GA Amp > Modified Custom Quad57s (Wayne Piquet)
I don't know about King Rex, but Vincent did recommend Acoustic Revive... However, they intend to have their cable be far more affordable.

A refinement on the above:

I don't know about King Rex, but Vincent did recommend Acoustic Revive - if one had the cable or wanted to spend that type of money... However, they intend to have their cable be far more affordable as Loesch has stated. Both Vincent Luke and Censullo had stopped by my apt to have a music listening session when they asked if I would like to try the iUSB on a trial basis and give them feedback on my experience. I played with it about a week - with my system and the Quads revealing mid-range - it was a buy for me... even with owing the DP-777 We discussed accompanying cables. Vince recommended using their included USB for the run between the Mac/PC and the iUSB... and then you were on you were on your own to experiment with the outgoing USB. It's then that he said the Acoustic Revive would definitely work with it... but suggested that I wait to try theirs before investing a grand.

Alex