IGNORED

How many music files does the CA Joe Average have?

Hi,

Newbie CA member here - so go easy on me.

I was just wondering, how many albums do you guys have out there?

Do you download them or have you just taken your time and ripped your CD/LP collection over?

thanks

Jim

Less and less: Ikeda 9TS with Kuzma Stogi Ref and Vendetta Phono => Lamm L2 Ref & Lamm 2.2 => Tidal Piano Cera.

More and more: Mac Book Pro Retina (mid-2014) with 128GB SSD: with Audirvana 2.0) and all the while auditioning different DACs.

(something small and sometimes portable - she who must not be named demands it).

most are rips - about 80%. The rest are split between recordings of vinyl and downloads.

I have lots of multiple versions of the same albums, though - remasters, etc. If you eliminate these "doubles", about 7200 tracks.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Maybe 10 dvd-a rips (thanks Chris) and 50 hirez album downloads

22,000 tracks.

930 gb, aiff format.

23 itunes songs...:)

Todd

Win7 64bit / iTunes / Xonar ST / Behringer DEQ2496 / Wyred4Sound DAC-2 / Wyred STP-SE preamp / dbx 233XL / 4 Outlaw m200 monoblocks / DIY active GR Research LS9\'s / Quad 15 inch subwoofers

13,045 songs, just about all whole albums. All ALAC.

I wrote an AppleScript to generate a playlist of a certain number of whole albums, selected by the oldest play date of a track on each. I use the script to continually rt me know what I haven't heard in a while. I make my way through the whole library at least once a year!

OCD ...

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

13,045 songs, just about all whole albums. All ALAC.

I wrote an AppleScript to generate a playlist of a certain number of whole albums, selected by the oldest play date of a track on each. I use the script to continually let me know what I haven't heard in a while. I make my way through the whole library at least once a year!

OCD ...

8315 tracks

of these

534 are high res tracks in AIFF

7779 are ripped from CD into AIFF

2 are from itunes in whatever junk they come in........

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Actually, about 420 of those are birds, so that presumably doesn't count?

Apart from those, about 4000 are lossless (rips and a few lossless downloads),

1222 iTunes store purchases (AAC)

775 mp3s (+420 bird calls, old rips that aren't worth re-ripping, grateful dead bootlegs, downloads, etc).

That is AWESOME!

Well done!

I'm not sure I trust the Album and Artist counts very much.

About half is RIPPED from our CD Collection and downloads from places like HDTracks, SOS, etc.

The other half are from private albums, tapes, and digital recordings. That number probably won't grow very much, but the CD and downloads grow about every week. ;)

-Paul

Thinking about artists, do you guys count two different artists on the same album as one or two artists? Like Yo-Yo Ma and Bobby McFerrin - in my database, that shows up as two separate artists linked to the same album. -PR

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

all hi-res - something like 90% ripped from my DVD-A/Blu-ray collection and 10% purchased from HDtracks, highresaudio.com and others.

My CD collection (>4000 discs) is still waiting to be transferred, about 420 made their way to the HDD already, but I need more time ...

Of these about 100 are hi-res; 5 downloads, remainder 24bit/96kHz conversion of LP collection (project has only just started).

I have about 50 AAC tracks given as presents: in several cases I've later bought the CD.

All other tracks are ALAC rips from CDs which we still have in the family.

Still have ~1000 CDs to rip but waiting until I decide on a server that I can leave on 24/7 rather than noisy desktop computer.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

3600 albums (just over 50,000 tracks)

Most ripped from CDs, some digital downloads - about 2,500 tracks from iTunes, another 5,000 or so from Amazon and about 1,000 high-res purchased in the past few months, i.e., since joining CA :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

It is curious how we ll seem to collect slightly differently - I have a lot of artists, but very complete collections of any artist. I'm guess some of you guys are at the opposite end of the spectrum. And some may collect by song and not album at all...

It is very interested indeed....

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

All tracks are Apple Lossless

24 bit 96kHz - 457 tracks - 1.7 days - 48.05GB

24 bit 88.2kHz - 189 tracks - 18.2 hours - 18.4GB

24 bit 48kHz - 173 tracks - 13 hours - 8.73GB

24 bit 44.1kHz - 48 tracks - 6.6 hours - 3.54GB

TOTAL = 870 tracks - 3.2 days - 77.04GB

I saved my favorite SACDs to 24 bit 96kHz.

The rest of the tracks are from HDTracks, audiophile LP downloads, etc.

I converted my 24/176.4kHz Reference Recordings HRx's to 24/88.2kHz and 24/192kHz Ma DVD-Roms to 24/96kHz using XLD. Since I have the data discs I can reload them when I can play 176.4kHz and 192kHz without them being downsampled to 96kHz.

The 24/44.1kHz and 24/48kHz music files are also played on my 4th generation iPod Shuffle. Some of the 24/48kHz music files are the original resolution, however many of them are converted from 24/96kHz for iPod playback.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Total of 6964 songs of which 851 are AIFF rips.

My wife was just complaining why I keep playing the same songs ... I need to get me more songs like u folks with 50k songs ...

2011 Mac Mini (Lion) -> Audirvana Plus -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Audioquest Diamondback -> Rotel RA-1520 -> Analysis Plus Oval 12/2 -> Klipsch RF-62 II

"If it sounds good, it is good ..." -Duke Ellington

Upthekhyber76 personally I think the 6,964 songs you have is a hell of a lot, that is 8 times more than I have (870), and I play music all day long and on my iPod when not home and I don't think I play the same music over and over at home.

Since my iPod Shuffle is only 2 GB it holds slightly less than three hours of 24/44.1kHz and 24/48kHz Apple Lossless music files so these get played about three times until the iPod needs recharging at which time I autofill it with different songs. For the iPod I have a total of 121 songs or 19.9 hours available that it will hold as its highest resolution is 24/48kHz. Most of the 24/44.1kHz music files are from BIS. And some of the 24/48kHz music files are their native resolution but I have also converted some 24/96 music files to 24/48 for more variety for the iPod.

At first I had duplicate files in 24/48 and 24/96 but as I added more and more music to my computer I became concerned about free space. So I started comparing the 24/48 versions to the 24/96 versions and I kept the 24/48 versions that I couldn't hear any or much difference and deleted the 24/96 versions (I still have the full resolution versions on my backup DVD-Rs). And where the 24/96 versions sounded best I deleted the 24/48 versions. It usually worked out to most (not all) classical sounding best at 24/96 and most other types of music sounded as good or nearly as good at 24/48. My free space is now under 15%, my Mac Mini is 160GB and it has 23GB free but I did have as low as 10GB free and I was told that was too low.

I now have no music in multiple sample rates on the computer. When I get more memory I will reload the few 24/96 music files that were converted to 24/48 and likely make 24/48 copies of all of my 24/96 music for iPod playback.

I it takes me almost a month to play my 870 songs (77 hours) from my computer at home. I also play SACDs and DVD-Audios but I am getting lazy and most of the time I play from the computer. I listen in alphabetical order by album title and there are many songs I just would not want to wait over a month to hear. So for me my size is ideal, I wouldn't know what to do with 50,000 songs. The most LPs I ever owned was 361 (about 144 hours) which was roughly 3,500 songs, since popular LPs had 10-12 songs each and a lot of classical LPs had as little as 2 selections and often not more than 4. I had to pear down that collection as it was too large for me.

I see nothing wrong with having a large library it takes 10 to 20 years to listen to once but it's not for me.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa