11 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Understood, but a VERY different situation. I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan while my grandparents were babysitting me. They said they would never amount to anything too. 

But, despite my greatly extended appreciation and respect for "alternative music" both Rap and Hip Hop has never and will never be considered remotely seriously by qualified music historians and musical critics. I can easily admit that they are "entertainers", but they are neither capable of playing a musical instrument, or singing, which eliminates them from the conversation. And thus, do not even meet the criteria as musical artists. They most often sample existing music or repeat already established rhythms endlessly, or present things for shock value. 

In the end, they may not even have the long term staying power of bubblegum pop from the 60's. 

JC

Simply not true. There are plenty of serious musicians and academics who think that some rap/hip hop qualifies as serious music.

When Kendrick Lamar won the Pulitzer, his direct competitors - the other finalists- all trained musicians from the "art music" world - were quoted as agreeing that his music was extremely sophisticated and belonged in the judging with theirs. They didn't at all begrudge him the prize. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/music/kendrick-lamar-pulitzer-prize-damn.html

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/pulitzer-finalists-michael-gilbertson-and-ted-hearne-on-kendrick-lamars-win.html

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still great after all these years:

pretenders.jpg

• 1 month later...

sorry, mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Why do these Qobuz links never work for me? They only get me to the home page and then to the main account page. Not to the album.

11 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

It's not clear from the screenshot you've posted - you definitely have to get the 96kHz Hi Res Remaster (from 2014 IIRC).

Don't see it anywhere, only the Redbook. Is it still available?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 10:03 PM, Daccord said:

Ian Wallace was the drummer on Islands. He died after CJ3 Volume 2 (also excellent, and available for purchase and on streaming services).

image.thumb.png.6213c3e5b5aa3d4178a9a94249f7fbae.png

https://crimsonjazztrio.bandcamp.com/album/king-crimson-songbook-vol-2

download for $10

volume 1 doesn't seem to be available anywhere, except discogs for about $30 or more.

Some more Bartok, sort of:

2024-01-17161413.thumb.jpg.9ae9e63d8ac0e815bdeb15b86839b40f.jpg

It's based on Bartok and done in jazz rock. Very good if you like the style. It used to stream on Qobuz, for some reason it's now "unavailable". So I bought the download, which is still for sale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 4:35 AM, Jud said:

What's the resolution? 96k on Qobuz.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:37 AM, Allan F said:

24/96 download on Bandcamp for $US9.99.

On my Qobuz USA the download is only CD quality and is $15.09, no discount for Sublime.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

I was able to buy it in hi res with Sublime discount for less than the price at Bandcamp.

I don't know exactly what the financial arrangements are now at Bandcamp since it's been sold.

I see the Sublime price now.

• 1 month later...

This is not bad at all. 

image.thumb.jpeg.13f41d0fcb0fb66f6448b4eadc72ddb7.jpeg

I've gotten used to modern volume compression sound over the years, and it usually doesn't bother me anymore.

But this thing is way up there (or down there) in VC - to the point where it sounds distorted....of course,  that's the probably the artistic intent. 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

From the guy who used to be half of Oasis? If you've listened to Oasis, you know the answer is undoubtedly yes.

Yes, I get that. But I'm not entirely convinced that the extreme VC on Morning Glory was entirely an "artistic" decision, and not just "lets make it louder than everything else".  Maybe that's not a real distinction, I sort of think it is. 

On this one, it seems to me they were purposely going for the sound of distortion. 

Great piano version. Very enjoyable orchestral version. Good sound.

janis.jpg

• 3 weeks later...