On 8/25/2022 at 11:05 PM, Iving said:

Don't think this has been posted recently. At this time I have 2 different CDs only. No vinyl - notwithstanding thorough recent research.

Primary

Try the hi-res mono from 2013 (I think that's the year) I've recently re-evaluated and decided I like that one the best. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

New on Qobuz. 

8C4F1AEC-99F5-437B-9958-4A436D3AE06C.jpeg

I think same quartet as the original JR quartet album in 1994. Interesting to compare. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Saw him on the tour after this came out. Amazing show.

Me too. My biggest memory is that he knew there would be people in the crowd yelling for "Layla", so to prevent it the band came on stage in the dark, wthout an intro,  and hit the first famous chord of Layla simultaneously with the lights turning on. The crowd went crazy, of course, and listened without screaming "Layla" constantly afterwards.

It was very smart performance management and also a great way to please the crowd. 

New release on Qobuz. Good performance. Good recording.

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Analogue Productions?

According to discogs, it is AP.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6137684-Creedence-Clearwater-Revival-Green-River

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

71b4W2rwNRL._SX522_.jpg

Recent addition at Qobuz.

Quite good. Slightly unusual version of the Ravel/Mussorgsky, supposedly more accurate to the original Ravel score.

Sound on the CD Version is good. At Amazon there were a lot of comments that the sound was awful. Maybe that's the SACD layer in that version. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can’t find it in Atmos, but did find the high resolution available for only $10 https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8061266--gidon-kremer-new-seasons

Not sure, and I'm using foreign currency, but when I went to the page all the versions (including mp3 and 24/192) were all identically priced at the equivalent of $8.62.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good performance, excellent recording.

On sale in DSD at NativeDSD.

sonatas.jpg

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

So good.

If I had to live with only one Coltrane album (only by force, I'd never agree) that would be it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 4:31 AM, graham said:

Product main image

This to me is absolutely fascinating. Another win from Tone Poet.

Not likely to get a party pumping though.

Wow, another classic BN album I was totally unaware of. And I'm a Shorter fan. Of course, the output there was never ending, so not a surprise there are some albums I've missed. I wasn't among the record buying public at the time.....

If you like 60's BN, this is a really good one.

Recording (Qobuz 192) also sounds fantastic. On the buy list.

Thnanks, Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Allan F said:

Remixed and released in 2003 without Phil Spector embellishments - as Paul McCartney believed the album should sound.

Includes "Don't Let Me Down", omitted from original release.

Let It Be...Naked.jpg

It's an interesting topic: is this more "authentic" than the Spector version? Or is this just another version from another POV? Yes, it's PM, but almost 50 years later and w/out John and George.

Comparing this to the original Glyn Johns mix released not long ago, adds another point of comparison. Maybe that one is really the "authentic " version, as GJ did what the brief for the album told him to do: Show the raw Beatles as they sounded live. Except the group didn't like it when they heard it, and abandoned the project until they needed a soundtrack for the film release, and Spector was brought in to put something useable together for the film. The "Naked" version is also just PM's vision of what he wants the songs to sound like, and not 100% "authentic", either. 

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I prefer not to even go down these paths anymore. Immersive audio has really changed my perspective in more ways than one. In this case, I just don't care anymore about trying to determine the original intent of artists 50 years or 50 days ago. I don't think it even gets us as listeners anywhere, other than into interesting conversations. We think we know, based on a few published quotes, but in reality I wouldn't bet a bitcoin on any of this. Plus, as an audiophile, I just want to accurately reproduce what's on the commercial release, no matter what that is.

It may feel good to believe we have the "definitive" version as the artists intended, but the reality is it's just a different version in 99% of the cases. 

Back to listening. Now playing ...

Pretty much agree. We have whatever has been released and that's all. It's pretty clear that lots of albums have no one way they are "supposed" to sound. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Allan F said:

I agree with you about Tom Waits, but I definitely disagree with you regarding Leonard Cohen. How many covers of Dylan's songs do you hear currently? OTOH, to choose the most obvious example, Cohen's Hallelujah continues to be covered by many artists, including the likes of Andrea Bocelli.

Check some more. Dylan is both covered and sampled all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Uncompromising early free-jazz from the Wolfgang Dauner Sextet. Jean-Luc Ponty sounds much fresher than in his solo projects or in Zappa's albums. Those who, like me, were first introduced to Eberhard Weber's playing in the ECM albums from the 70s might be interested to hear him play in a freer manner.

image.thumb.png.ea279b5ea5e9a06e539a7e49c3c1c17b.png

New one for me, never heard of it before. Interesting. Especially for 1967 recording. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...