Having written a blog post about my Top 5 classical albums of 2016 today, I felt the urge to listen to the top 2 of the list tonight.

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/12/14/my-top-5-classical-albums-for-2016/

Starting with: Mozart: The Weber Sisters - Sabine Devielhe (24/96)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31526[/ATTACH]

Followed by Schubert: String Quintet - Quatuor Ebène (24/96).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31527[/ATTACH]

What a beautiful evening!

Well... after reading your blog I've been listening to the same two albums, Schubert first.
So, what do you think?
Quintet D.956 is one of the very few pieces of chamber music which I would listen almost endlessly. It leaves me wanting more always. I do not think I wish to rank different performances, also because most of them are quite different from each other. From several comparatively recent listenings one from Lindsays left very profound impression, maybe. Takacs too. However, I listened to such a huge variety of different D.956 recordings, at least 20 or 30 of them, and almost every of those gave me something to value. This music is truly boundless, I do not believe any particular rendition would "close" it. Ebène is good, sound is pleasant, first part made best impression, second seemed little bit shallow. Surprisingly, I liked songs most from the album.

Mozart album is very pleasant, I am listening to it while writing this.

Thank you for suggesting beautiful music for this evening..)

Added: returned to remark - what a great Königin der Nacht!!! I am happily smiling like a madman))

Deo gracias Anglia!

Medieval English Carols

The Trinity Carol Roll

Alamire / Michaël Grébil / Andrew Lawrence-King

8174JabxDEL._SL1400_.jpg

The Trinity Carol Roll, dating from the 15th century, the earliest extant manuscript of English polyphonic carols, includes the text and music of 13 carols. The British vocal consort Alamire, led by its founder David Skinner, sings all the pieces as well as five other carols on this fine album on the ensemble's own label, Obsidian. Andrew Lawrence-King playing gothic harp and psaltery, Michaël Grébil playing plectrum lute, and Pamela Thorby playing recorder and gemshorn deftly accompany the singers. These are not the carols most people would gather around the piano to sing at the holidays, and not all are even carols with Christmas themes. It's immediately evident from the melodies and harmonies that this is ancient music; it's not hard to believe that it's over half a millennium old. -- Stephen Eddins

First listen on Tidal.

Thanks for your thoughts (similar to my impression) and for something new.

Music recorded with a commitment to recording with "ribbon microphones from the 1930's and 40's" if my first impression is not in error. Now that 'old school' cool!

You're welcome. Das Mikrofon is basically a sampler album showcasing the microphone used on the Tacet label. It covers quite a broad range, from Neumann CMV3 which was designed in 1927 to the Neumann TLM 50 with transistor amp, from 1990s I believe. Also boundary layer microphone, dummy heads and sphere microphone, which is kind of a combination of boundary layer and dummy head. There is also a Das Mikrofon Vol. II that contains direct comparison of a even bigger range of microphones. Hasn't got around it that one yet.

Album of yesterday evening:

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians

Ensemble Signal, Bradley Lubman

MI0003852472.jpg

Very nice, improvised and slightly avant-garde trio playing from 1978, recently remastered from MPS.

Decipher | John Taylor TrioÂ*– Télécharger et écouter l'album

4250644896026_300.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

folder.JPG

DR=18

Only $8.40 for 24/96 album at Hyperion Records

I think this percussion material would make good audiophile test music, even if it isn't something you like listening to regularly. I do sort of enjoy it, though. But I like other Reich pieces, also.

foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2016-12-16 16:50:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: LSO Percussion Ensemble / Reich: Clapping music & other works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR29 -0.17 dB -32.85 dB 3:37 01-Reich: Clapping music

DR20 -3.29 dB -26.56 dB 11:42 02-Reich: Music for pieces of wood

DR12 -9.26 dB -25.11 dB 11:09 03-Reich: Sextet - 1: Crotchet = 192

DR18 -5.78 dB -29.60 dB 4:32 04-Reich: Sextet - 2: Crotchet = 96

DR13 -4.58 dB -20.48 dB 2:34 05-Reich: Sextet - 3: Crotchet = 64

DR19 -3.05 dB -27.57 dB 3:32 06-Reich: Sextet - 4: Crotchet = 96

DR13 -6.10 dB -21.39 dB 6:01 07-Reich: Sextet - 5: Crotchet = 192

Number of tracks: 7

Official DR value: DR18

Samplerate: 96000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 2713 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

foo_dr.txt

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31581[/ATTACH]

DR=18

Only $8.40 for 24/96 album at Hyperion Records

I think this percussion material would make good audiophile test music, even if it isn't something you like listening to regularly. I do sort of enjoy it, though. But I like other Reich pieces, also.

I got that album through B&W Society of Sound (good value for two monthly surprise albums). It's strangely mesmerising to listen to.

If you like Reich, you might enjoy http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-kuniko-plays-reich.aspx.

I got that album through B&W Society of Sound (good value for two monthly surprise albums). It's strangely mesmerising to listen to.

If you like Reich, you might enjoy Linn Records - kuniko plays reich.

Yep, already have that one. The "Kuniko Plays Reich" is a great record.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Alleluia Nativitas:

Music and Carols for a Medieval Christmas

Orlando Consort

51eFG-MRjeL._SS500.jpg

I found around 6 tracks that are very enjoyable and seldom heard.

Medieval Christmas

The Orlando Consort

51RLhY2UAdL.jpg

10th to 16th-century secular & liturgical music for feast days. Very enjoyable all the way through. Nice variety, fine performances. Some beautiful music! I love the snowball fight on the album cover.

Haven't played this in a decade or more.

From a box set by Joel Cohen & the Boston Camerata.

61cHq5pfG8L.jpg

For the next three nights

Front+Cover.jpg

Front+Cover.jpg

1280x1280.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

You're welcome. Das Mikrofon is basically a sampler album showcasing the microphone used on the Tacet label. It covers quite a broad range, from Neumann CMV3 which was designed in 1927 to the Neumann TLM 50 with transistor amp, from 1990s I believe. Also boundary layer microphone, dummy heads and sphere microphone, which is kind of a combination of boundary layer and dummy head. There is also a Das Mikrofon Vol. II that contains direct comparison of a even bigger range of microphones. Hasn't got around it that one yet.

Album of yesterday evening:

Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians

Ensemble Signal, Bradley Lubman

MI0003852472.jpg

In the same vein of Steve Reich, is Alarm Will Sound.

IMG_1113.JPG

I had the pleasure of seeing them with Medeski, Martin and Wood playing with them. I had no idea what to expect from that concert… It was incredible!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

Haven't played this in a decade or more.

From a box set by Joel Cohen & the Boston Camerata.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31594[/ATTACH]

For the next three nights

I remember having these on audio cassette :). It's been a few years since playing these for me as well. Just might give the CD rips a listen. Thanks. Hope you enjoy them.

Puer Natus Est: Tudor Music for Advent and Christmas

TALLIS, TAVERNER, BYRD, WHITE, ANONYMOUS, SHEPPARD

Stile Antico

Recommended. Available in 24/88 and DSD.

Puer-Natus-Est (1).jpg

Puer Natus Est: Tudor Music for Advent and Christmas

TALLIS, TAVERNER, BYRD, WHITE, ANONYMOUS, SHEPPARD

Stile Antico

Recommended. Available in 24/88 and DSD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31622[/ATTACH]

Yes I remember all the attention it got when released.

Which reminds me of this timely piece,

Christmas with the Tallis Scholars

81lb5c14xyL._SL1092_.jpg

Tallis Scholar releases on Gimell are such lovely works of art. Part of what we lose in the digital age.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Yes I remember all the attention it got when released.

Which reminds me of this timely piece,

Christmas with the Tallis Scholars

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31623[/ATTACH]

Tallis Scholar releases on Gimell are such lovely works of art. Part of what we lose in the digital age.

Listening now. Interesting that the 2 Stile Antico albums duplicate the 2 renaissance masses on Christmas with the Tallis Scholars. Hadn't noticed that. They are both beautiful compositions.

A Wondrous Mystery: Renaissance Choral Music for Christmas

Stile Antico

24/96. Definitely recommended.

4961095-origpic-5c757b.jpg

A Wondrous Mystery: Renaissance Music for Christmas - Stile Antico | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic