[ATTACH=CONFIG]9238[/ATTACH]

Robert Glasper: Double Booking.

Side one: Robert Glasper Trio - modern Jazz trio, contemporary take. Very good.

Side Two: The Robert Glasper Experiment: fusion mix of Jazz, Hip-Hop, Soul, R&B. Innovative and interesting.

cover.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Speaking of which:

Vivaldi: Concerti per mandolini, Concerti con molti strumenti

Fabio Biondi, Europa Galante

MI0001065716.jpg

Lots of multi-instrument concertos, and also includes the famous mandolin concerto in C major RV425. Fabio Biondi and his ensemble are very good and can hold together at great speed, and his stuff often feels rushed and overdone. Not in this case though. The energy that shines through is amazing. The overview at AllMusic (click album picture above) compares this against Paul O'Dette's version on Hyperion and finds Biondi better at integrating the sonority of the mandolin and the ensemble. I happen to have the latter as well. While it is true that the solo and the orchestra integrates better, there is more to it than that. Comparing RV425 back to back, the Biondi version, even though faster, has the proper pulse behind it. The O'Dette version doesn't quite have the energy to move forward. Also, on the Biondi version, the solo mandolin has more ornaments to tie over the longer notes. This gives the piece much better flow. Overall, the pieces here demonstrate great control of rhythm and flow. Awesome.

+1, really enjoy this.

I'll continue on this evenings theme of Miles Davis - Not an album per se but a sound track. I purchased the hi-res of this through Qobuz and it was horrible...if it wasn't upsampled, I'll eat a trumpet. Luckily this also included the redbook version as well which sounds fine. One of my favorite Miles albums...even if it is a soundtrack.

milesss250.jpg?wmode=transparent

I had not heard of this album. Pulled it up last night on MOG and I really like it.

I also listened to this:

EnricoRava-EasyLiving_zps5f4c426f.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Tallis Scholars 25th Anniversary

41GLe-4PtaL._SY300_.png

Two disc compilation set. Only listened to the first disc due to time constraint. The disc contains polyphonic works by non-English composers, including Gregorio Allegri's Miserere, Tomás Luis de Victoria's Ave Maria and Antoine Brumel's Gloria. Sumptuous.

Any thoughts and comments on this one that you could shared?

I really like it. It is well recorded first of all. Compared to the Dantone recording, the continuo is lighter (and comprises some brilliant players like Richard Tunnicliffe), and I like the ornaments on the violin part.

Same cover image as used in this version of Pergolesi's "La Serva Padrona," where it certainly makes more sense!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9215[/ATTACH][/QU

OTE]

Yes it is! :) Poor classical labels...always on budget. It's not the first example of repeated imagebank images on album covers. I'll try to remember others.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

Same here. But this one does work very well. By the way, how does the Café Zimmermann's L'estro Armonico compares to the English Concert version?In any case, album of the evening:Johann Jakob Froberger Christophe Rousset44/16 download from Qobuz51cjEr0ogBL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgSix keyboard suites by Froberger, played on historical harpsichord in Musée de la Musique in Paris. The sound of the instrument is glorious.
Hi accwai,I have not had time to compare. I'm out traveling and come back tomorrow. As soon i can, i'll inform you about my impressions.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

Same cover image as used in this version of Pergolesi's "La Serva Padrona," where it certainly makes more sense!

cover.jpg

Yes it is! :) Poor classical labels...always on budget. It's not the first example of repeated imagebank images on album covers. I'll try to remember others.

It's not quite an imagebank image. A trademark of Alpha Productions is their use of contemporary artworks on the covers of their early music releases. On this occasion they have used works by Flemish artist Peter Jacob Horemans for the covers of each of Café Zimmermann's series, Bach: Concerts Avec Plusieurs Instruments.

In the case of the Pergolesi, I guess it was chosen simply because it is a painting of a servant girl, also contemporary with the composer.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I thought this was a good CD to play for a gray day. It is very gray down here in Texas.

Folder.jpg

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I thought this was a good CD to play for a gray day. It is very gray down here in Texas.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9272[/ATTACH]

Probably even grayer here in Shanghai with a PM2.5 yesterday of over 500.

So this was my antidote -

Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio

Getzpeterson.jpg

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Thimar

Anouar Brahem w/ John Surman and Dave Holland

North African jazz infused with a good dose of western via Surman and Holland

anouar-grahem-john-surman-dave-holland-thimar-1998.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

michna | moving mountains

Michna-MovingMountains_zps90b01a75.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

And to continue the seasonal spirit:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (24/96).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9292[/ATTACH]

I knew that frog would give us excessive feelings of holiday spirit

Low

Christmas

Santa's coming over - not your typical holiday cheer but very Low

lowxmas.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

And to continue the seasonal spirit:

Diana Krall: Christmas Songs (24/96).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9292[/ATTACH]

I knew that frog would give us excessive feelings of holiday spirit

Low

Christmas

Santa's coming over - not your typical holiday cheer but very Low

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9293[/ATTACH]

I'll never be able to hear Last Christmas without thinking of a little frog doing "ding ding ding" anymore, but probably this is not much worse than thinking of George Michael with an early 1980s haircut.

I'll never be able to hear Last Christmas without thinking of a little frog doing "ding ding ding" anymore, but probably this is not much worse than thinking of George Michael with an early 1980s haircut.

They are both the things nightmares are made of.

I was going to make a stocking stuffer comment but probably not very PC