IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

No idea. I have only come across four issues that prevent normal ripping (via thumb drive local ripping option, i.e not server):

1) SACD is not recognized and ripper will not progress beyond "no sacd in drive" message (happened twice in 1200 rips)

2) ripper creates an ISO that has bad characters or metadata that prevent good extraction (none here, but others have reported 3-4 Pentatone discs)

I have not been able to rip two Pentatone classics SACDs,"Mozart-Violin Concertos Nos. 1,2,&5- Julia Fischer," and Tchaikovsky-Violin Concerto- Julia Fischer." Attempted with both of my machines but neither could recognized either as SACD. I initially thought it was an issue with my first, primary PS3 and perhaps a bad laser. However, it is clearly limited to those two disk.
I have not been able to rip two Pentatone classics SACDs,"Mozart-Violin Concertos Nos. 1,2,&5- Julia Fischer," and Tchaikovsky-Violin Concerto- Julia Fischer." Attempted with both of my machines but neither could recognized either as SACD. I initially thought it was an issue with my first, primary PS3 and perhaps a bad laser. However, it is clearly limited to those two disk.

Hey Kevin, yes, I also had issues extracting the Fischer - Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto, and Albrecht - Korngold: Symphony in F#. They both ripped just fine, but the only way I could extract them was "Extract single DFF file". In all other cases the extractor just crashes right away. At least you can get the whole album in one long track this way. I don't know of any media editors that will allow you to split up a .dff or .dsf file but there's got to be something out there? There may be something weird with the way Pentatone splits tracks???

One thing that may work: in ripper version .30 you can scroll through ripping options by pressing "O" and there's an option to rip/extract straight to .dff or .dsf. Since the problem I had with those discs was in the extraction phase, perhaps if you get the files in .dsf from the ripper you may have better results?

Also, with Pentatone's Fischer/Muller-Schott/Gilad - Mendelssohn: Piano Trio's No. 1 & 2, it wouldn't even rip. Recognized disc, hit ok, and it immediately says it has completed. I let it sit for 30 min, because sometimes it actually will rip in the background, but in this case no ISO is created.

I've only ever had these issues with Pentatone.

Hey Kevin, yes, I also had issues extracting the Fischer - Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto, and Albrecht - Korngold: Symphony in F#. They both ripped just fine, but the only way I could extract them was "Extract single DFF file". In all other cases the extractor just crashes right away. At least you can get the whole album in one long track this way. I don't know of any media editors that will allow you to split up a .dff or .dsf file but there's got to be something out there? There may be something weird with the way Pentatone splits tracks???

One thing that may work: in ripper version .30 you can scroll through ripping options by pressing "O" and there's an option to rip/extract straight to .dff or .dsf. Since the problem I had with those discs was in the extraction phase, perhaps if you get the files in .dsf from the ripper you may have better results?

Also, with Pentatone's Fischer/Muller-Schott/Gilad - Mendelssohn: Piano Trio's No. 1 & 2, it wouldn't even rip. Recognized disc, hit ok, and it immediately says it has completed. I let it sit for 30 min, because sometimes it actually will rip in the background, but in this case no ISO is created.

Interesting. I was able to rip and extract the Pentatone Fischer Mozart Violin Concertos and the Mendelssohn Piano Trios discs just fine. But I couldn't extract the Fischer Brahms Violin Concerto. For discs where I can't extract the files, I just import the ISO into Jriver, then use a custom filter to hide the multichannel tracks in Jremote. Though the tags are stored in Jriver rather than in the file, its a perfectly workable solution.

CAPSv3 Carbon running Jriver -> Audioquest Carbon USB -> Exasound E20 -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference -> Simaudio W-5 -> Acoustic Zen Satori -> Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Interesting. I was able to rip and extract the Pentatone Fischer Mozart Violin Concertos and the Mendelssohn Piano Trios discs just fine. But I couldn't extract the Fischer Brahms Violin Concerto. For discs where I can't extract the files, I just import the ISO into Jriver, then use a custom filter to hide the multichannel tracks in Jremote. Though the tags are stored in Jriver rather than in the file, its a perfectly workable solution.
I no longer extract and also use Jriver to play the ISO. I will try ripping Mozart Violin some more.
I let it sit for 30 min, because sometimes it actually will rip in the background, but in this case no ISO is created.

Ok. I let it sit for few minutes and the first one started ripping. Hopefully that is the solution and they both will rip. Thanks.

For the rare occasion where you place a SACD and the PS3 Ripper program does not recognize the disc as a SACD, power down the unit and reboot, then try again. This happened to me with one disc. Ted may have already tried this, but it worked for me the one time it has happened, so far.

For the rare occasion where you place a SACD and the PS3 Ripper program does not recognize the disc as a SACD, power down the unit and reboot, then try again. This happened to me with one disc. Ted may have already tried this, but it worked for me the one time it has happened, so far.

No luck with "Tchaikovsky-Violin Concerto- Julia Fischer." Tried turning it off, left in machine for about 5 minutes, and changing settings on both of my PS3s. Neither machine will recognize as SACD. Oh well. It locks the ripper and you can not exit. Had to turn power off just to get out of the ripper.

You can't! Please read this thread. It has been said dozens of times that 3.55 is it; that is why these players are so rare on Ebay, etc.

Hi,

But I've read somewhere that it was possible to downgrade with some sort of hardware hacking of the system.

Has anyone heard about this?

Hi,

But I've read somewhere that it was possible to downgrade with some sort of hardware hacking of the system.

Has anyone heard about this?

Why don't you try it? If you lose your money, then everytime someone ask, we can just bump the post :) I would NOT do it but I think we need at least one person to be the guinea pig :). Seems like I read somewhere that you can do it, the ripper works, but you lose blu-ray. Don't listen to Ted. Do it ! Do it! Jump! Jump! Hehehehehe.

No luck with "Tchaikovsky-Violin Concerto- Julia Fischer." Tried turning it off, left in machine for about 5 minutes, and changing settings on both of my PS3s. Neither machine will recognize as SACD. Oh well. It locks the ripper and you can not exit. Had to turn power off just to get out of the ripper.

What SACD ripper version do you use? I had the same problem with some Pentatone SACDs but they worked fine with the older ripper versions.

Why don't you try it? If you lose your money, then everytime someone ask, we can just bump the post :) I would NOT do it but I think we need at least one person to be the guinea pig :). Seems like I read somewhere that you can do it, the ripper works, but you lose blu-ray. Don't listen to Ted. Do it ! Do it! Jump! Jump! Hehehehehe.

I would give tiff_needle a bit of a break here.

Like the rest of us, we read lots of stuff on-line and don't always know how much to consider what we've read without asking others.

He's doing the right thing to raise the question here and even to double-check the answer he gets.

Joel

I would give tiff_needle a bit of a break here.

Like the rest of us, we read lots of stuff on-line and don't always know how much to consider what we've read without asking others.

He's doing the right thing to raise the question here and even to double-check the answer he gets.

Joel

I believe it's one of the most common questions on the thread. Just read the thread. The answer is always the same. I think when someone tries it, the question will stopped getting asked. So I say if you don't like the answer by all means try it and see especially if you will not accept the answer from the person who wrote the guide.
What SACD ripper version do you use? I had the same problem with some Pentatone SACDs but they worked fine with the older ripper versions.

I'm using the latest version 36. I'll ask Ted for an older version and try. Aren't there some popping issues with Classical and the older ripper however?

Using the older SACD ripper version 0.21 (r272) I was able to rip some of the Pentatone SACDs which failed in the lastest version.
Thanks and to amargolis for the tip. Thanks Ted for the Version 30 of the ripper which is working on the Tchaikovsky-Violin Concerto- Julia Fischer

Just want to confirm in case others are having similar problems extracting certain discs: Using ripper version .30 and choosing to rip directly to 2 channel dsf solves the problem I was having where I could not extract the files from the ISO.

I suspect it has to do with the length of the file name. When the extractor tries to create a folder and files for the new .dsf files, the names are too long and windows won't let it create the files. As has been said here before, in some cases extracting the files closer to the root of the drive may help, but some titles are just too damn long no matter where you try to extract them. Is there any way to manually truncate the titles before extraction starts? Changing the file name of the ISO doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Dropping by to say thanks to Jason who helped me to a great extent to obtain an excellent CECHA with fan control modification. Multiman indicates CPU temp at about 55C and RSX 43C after ripping many SACDs, ambient 27C. The best thing is you will never be able to accidentally disabled the fan as software still has control over fan behavior in case the toggle is set for too low. This is really the go-to guy for your PS3 troubles. On the subject of ripping, no problem at all. I am using extract via network as my default method. Anyway, is there any way to edit the meta data of extracted SACD? Some of my fone Jazz SACD is showing as Unknown Album. Thanks for your support folks.

Hi ted_b, please correct me if I am wrong. I obtained the ISO via sacd extract and from the ISO, I have to extract the DSF, no? Also, is there a way after editing the metadata to rebuild the ISO? Thanks for your kind reply. Anyway, my playback goes like this: open the ISO via foobar2000. Via native ASIO DSD, directly pumped into Mytek DAC.

So as I understand it, once one has the ISO file, it can be played directly with Foobar and possibly other programs, or one can extract the DSS and further process the file.

So....

First, can the DSS file or ISO file be written to DVD and played on the Oppo BDP83 unit?

Second, is there a way to send the ISO or DSS data as a bitstream to a SACD decoding capable receiver from a computer?

What would be involved.

Thanks.

I think the ISO files burned to DVDs can be played on the BDP83 (check the firmware version) or 95 or 105 for that matter (recognized as DSD Disc). The latest firmware of 105 allows DSD playback via its USB interface too but I am not sure if it works for both Mac and PC (tried on PC only). None of the PC I am aware of can output native DSD or DoP via HDMI port to HDMI port of DSD capable receivers. I am only aware DSD to PCM conversion is done on the PC then output as 24/192 or 24/176.2 to the receivers.

DSF (the DSD files from an ISO extrcation, or downloaded from a music site) can be tagged as they are ID3V2 compliant. ISO tags are not complaint, nor are DFF. Not sure what is meant by DSS (originalsnuffy) here. And no, the ISO cannot be recreated (to scarletbook anyway). There are funky SACD authoring programs out there, but enter at your own risk. They will not be able to then be extracted with our tools.

ISOs can be burnt to DVD-R and played on SACD-R (the nomenclature/nickname for an SACD created by burning an ISO) compatible universal and SACD players. However, Oppo is pulling back on that capability, so if you have recently updated firmware you may be out of luck. Here is a version (not sure how old) of the player list.

SACDRCompatiblePlayers - sacd-ripper - A list of SACD-R compatible players. - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

I am fairly new to all of this, so please forgive my newbie confusion over the file names, etc.

Upon doing some web research, I came across a Foobar plugin called WASAPI. Is this possibly capable of sending the bitstreamed DSD music files to a home theater receiver from a HTPC over HDMI?

The SACD-R concept seems good to me; but it would be great to forego the physical media if possible.