IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Ted:

PS3 up and running - working fine with latest (as of last week) software. All of a sudden - the PS3 will not recognize any SACDs put into it in SACD - ripper. "The current disc is empty or not recognized as an SACD, please reinsert". Any ideas on what to do.

I read somewhere else that somebody had this issue and downgraded to a ripper version 3.0 (I have 3.6).

If that works - where do you find 3.0?

Ted:

PS3 up and running - working fine with latest (as of last week) software. All of a sudden - the PS3 will not recognize any SACDs put into it in SACD - ripper. "The current disc is empty or not recognized as an SACD, please reinsert". Any ideas on what to do.

I read somewhere else that somebody had this issue and downgraded to a ripper version 3.0 (I have 3.6).

If that works - where do you find 3.0?

Pm sent. :)

Ted,

This is really a fantastic forum here!

I own around 200 SACDs some of which are starting to not being playable anymore on my two SACD players - Pioneer 747, Sony 370). I had seen by chance that SACD conservation is possible, and as I just bought an appropriate PS3 on e-bay I would be happy if you could be so kind as to send me the instructions by PM to be able to make it all work. As a matter of fact, I also ordered a Mytek 192 DSD capable DA converter (I have tons of selfmade vinyl transfers to PCM 192/24) yesterday, so if all goes right, there will be a lot of audiophile fun ...

Thank you in advance, good to see that there might be a chance to secure my SACD investment (my favorite SACD being Carole King's "Tapestry" btw). :)

Best regards, Frank Willliam Fischer

Open question that maybe someone can reply by PM. I have a PS3 which started to have the "red light" problem which turned into a "yellow light" problem. I've been able to find a disassemble and reapply paste repair. Is that the right fix or is it better to do what some people have done in this forum and send it in to a repair shop who knows this problem. Maybe someone can let me know a DIY fix or a reputable shop to send it to.

Open question that maybe someone can reply by PM. I have a PS3 which started to have the "red light" problem which turned into a "yellow light" problem. I've been able to find a disassemble and reapply paste repair. Is that the right fix or is it better to do what some people have done in this forum and send it in to a repair shop who knows this problem. Maybe someone can let me know a DIY fix or a reputable shop to send it to.

I believe it's too late to change the thermal paste alone. You need to do that when the fan starts to run loud and the overheating starts. You most likely will need a reflow or reball now as well as changing the thermal paste. I would send it to a shop because there are multiple reasonclear.gif that can cause this to happen.

Hello,

Here's a guide for those sacd iso images that won't open with sacd_extract.

Some iso images give the following error:

libsacdread: Not a ScarletBook disc!

libsacdread: Can't read Master TOC.

That's because the iso is created with a blocksize of 2064 and not 2048.

Therefor we need to convert the iso image to a 2048 blocksize

One method is the following:

1. install a virtual DVD-RW burner drive like TotalMounter

2. In totalmounter mount a new DVD-RW drive, this new drive will become available

3. Launch ImgBurn and write the original sacd iso image to the new virtual DVD-RW drive (keep verify on)

4. Open the newly created DVD-RW iso with sacd_extract: no errors anymore :-)

Regards,

Danny

I am concerned that any ISO that is "found" that has been created with a non-scarletbook block size of 2064 is not an ISO that was legitimately ripped from an SACD via the PS3. This thread began as a tutorial and discussion about ripping one's own personal library.

The idea of finding ISOs out there that are not Scarletbook means these are amateur-authored SACDs (usually DVD-Audio or compilations) that are not part of the spirit of this thread. I am against it!

If someone can convince me that Mr Wicked's PS3 sacd-ripper can sometimes produce a non-Scarletbook ISO I am all ears.

Hi Ted,

I'm new here and in the process of trying to obtain a PS3 to backup my SACD collection.

Can you please send me the links and guide.

Thanks in advance.

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

My first Ebay purchase was damaged in shipping and defective. I subsequently found a good source for valid PS3's at a great price:

JASON NORTHEASTOHIOPCS <
>;

Based out of Burton, OH.

He replaces the units with new (not refurbished) lasers, upgraded fan and quality thermal paste. HD upgrades, if interested.

Currently has stock of CECHA and CECHE, and finds A, B, C, E (SACD capable) PS3's, Firmware Version: 3.55 or less.

May repair your defective unit and deal with YLOD issues too.

I find his prices very reasonable.

Hi

I am using an older version of the ripper, I think it is 0.21. Very happy with that, has been working well for over 100 SACDs. Any reason to upgrade the .pkg? If so could you send me a PM how to get the newest?

Thanks

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

My first Ebay purchase was damaged in shipping and defective. I subsequently found a good source for valid PS3's at a great price:

JASON NORTHEASTOHIOPCS <
>;

Based out of Burton, OH.

He replaces the units with new (not refurbished) lasers, upgraded fan and quality thermal paste. HD upgrades, if interested.

Currently has stock of CECHA and CECHE, and finds A, B, C, E (SACD capable) PS3's, Firmware Version: 3.55 or less.

Thanks for this info! May I ask what you paid for your unit? This sounds like a promising lead.

PM sent.

There are many ways to set one up for your need. I am not sure the realiability of the standard 2.5" drives or how much a hassle it would be to swap them out. Should a drive fail, do you need to re-load the firmware and if so, is the 3.55 firmware update sufficient to run the system from a fresh drive? Using a SSD drive would have more longevity and is cheap.

Email him regarding what you want and price options.

JASON NORTHEASTOHIOPCS <
>;

Based out of Burton, OH.

They appear to have a few units on eBay; only one of which is SACD capable: Sony PlayStation 3 Launch CECHA01 750 GB 3 55 OFW PS3 RARE Works Great 0711719699651 | eBay

I emailed Jason at northeastohiopcs. He didn't know about the SACD ripping world, but is now up to speed. He regularly obtains and sells PS3's of the types needed for ripping. Gives a 30 day guarantee. His prices seemed reasonable.

He puts a new laser and thermal paste in every machine. He also said he puts in new cooling if it seems necessary. I haven't bought one yet, but he seemed like a very good guy to deal with and very willing to keep in mind those looking for a PS3 for SACD ripping.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ted,

I'm new to the forum and interested in learning how to put my SACDs onto my harddrive. I have an older PS3 that reads SACDs. It appears from reading some posts here that you can send instructions.

thanks,

Mitch

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

Hello all.

i am a long time audio head. And a headfi member .

i am looking for a ps3 either modded already witch I prefer , or one that can be meaning an older one .

As I have a sacd collection and cannot back up or play other than my denon 3910 .

so I need a little help please and this seems to be the site for it.

so pm me or email me . I would prefer to buy one that can be done as opposed on eBay and do not know what I am buying.

email ALRAINBOW@ msn.com

Greetings one and all,

First post on here. I'm a brand new member of the SACD project. I acquired a compatible PS3 earlier today and started archiving shortly thereafter following Ted's superb primer 3.0 (link in post #1064 above).

I want to thank Mr. Wicked and Ted for all the work involved. This is nothing short of marvellous.

All the best,

Robert

WD Thunderbolt > Mac mini i7-3615QM/16GB/OSX 10.9.2 optimised > A+ 1.5.10 > Asus Essence One Muses Edition > XLR > Plinius M16 > XLR > Plinius SA100/III > Harbeth M30

Hello all I have about 100 sacd,s and some are starting to be troublesome in playing on my denon 3910 . I just bought a PS3 60 CECHA01 new in the box on eBay .

Can you. Send me links to and instructions so I may use this to back up my collection .

thanks AL D.