IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the FAQ's .. I searched but could not find anything.

My question is : if I install the software to rip SACD's do I still have

all the old functionality of the playstation .. i.e. can it still play

PS-2 and PS-3 games etc .. [Am I right in thinking I am installing

a new operating system ? .. Am I installing linux?]

Thanks

Loxodromic

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the FAQ's .. I searched but could not find anything.

My question is : if I install the software to rip SACD's do I still have

all the old functionality of the playstation .. i.e. can it still play

PS-2 and PS-3 games etc .. [Am I right in thinking I am installing

a new operating system ? .. Am I installing linux?]

Thanks

Loxodromic

You can still use it for games. However the ripping of SACD's imposes quite a load. Each one takes about 20 mins. If you rip SACD and play games it's going to place a strain on the machine. I would not do it. These machines are already breaking at high rate just from playing games. When one of my PS3s in for a heating issue repair, the tech used it to play games, so I can confirm they still work. I know it's crazy but I've never played a single game on a PS3 in my life. My machine is just for ripping.

Northeastohpcs, I'm having an unusual problem with ripping right now. When the rip is complete you are supposed to hit the X and restart the program. I can hit the X to start the program but when I hit the X to restart, nothing happens. However if I hit the playstation icon and then go back to the program with the O button, then the X button works. IF I make changes to the controller like reassign the controller to a different number and go back to the program the X to restart the program also works. Could this be a hardware issue? Have you ever seen anything like this? I am going to have to go out and buy another controller to see if this is the issue. Right now I have to completely exit SACD ripper or use the described methods to restart the program. This is the same behavior with two different PS3s which both respond to the controller when I take the described actions.

Northeastohpcs, I'm having an unusual problem with ripping right now. When the rip is complete you are supposed to hit the X and restart the program. I can hit the X to start the program but when I hit the X to restart, nothing happens. However if I hit the playstation icon and then go back to the program with the O button, then the X button works.

Keep in mind that Jason (northeastohpcs) does not have a lot of SACD ripping experience yet. But I do :) and I can tell you (and warn of it in my guide) that hitting the PS3 key and then going back is the exact solution. It seems to be a ripper anomaly, and is not consistent with rips or particular discs. I do it almost as a matter of standard procedure now. Takes 2 seconds. The bigger hassle is when the ripper freezes and does not continue on to the progress GUI. That issue requires a keen yet on your USB thumb drive, and to wait until it stops flashing to know when the rip is completed. That issue rears its head only a few percent of the time.

You can still use it for games. However the ripping of SACD's imposes quite a load. Each one takes about 20 mins. If you rip SACD and play games it's going to place a strain on the machine. I would not do it. These machines are already breaking at high rate just from playing games. When one of my PS3s in for a heating issue repair, the tech used it to play games, so I can confirm they still work. I know it's crazy but I've never played a single game on a PS3 in my life. My machine is just for ripping.

+100. I caution, in my guide, that you are pushing your luck...and to dedicate your machine to ripping only (due to its finite lifetime, and to the fact that these specific SACD PS3's are older, used and not at all unique for game playing..do it on a much more available box) and to try and schedule rips when you can take breaks every few discs.

Keep in mind that Jason (northeastohpcs) does not have a lot of SACD ripping experience yet. But I do :) and I can tell you (and warn of it in my guide) that hitting the PS3 key and then going back is the exact solution. It seems to be a ripper anomaly, and is not consistent with rips or particular discs. I do it almost as a matter of standard procedure now. Takes 2 seconds. The bigger hassle is when the ripper freezes and does not continue on to the progress GUI. That issue requires a keen yet on your USB thumb drive, and to wait until it stops flashing to know when the rip is completed. That issue rears its head only a few percent of the time.

Both my machines do it on every rip. That was not happening a month or two ago. I've had it happen only a few times before. Now, no other way to use the ripper. I notice that on my machine with overheating issues that exiting and reentering the game, cause it to heat up much faster. When the X button worked, the fan did not ramp up as fast. I've delete the ripper and reinstalled with no success. Believe it or not, I read read this entire thread, looking for an answer. Ouch!

+100. I caution, in my guide, that you are pushing your luck...and to dedicate your machine to ripping only (due to its finite lifetime, and to the fact that these specific SACD PS3's are older, used and not at all unique for game playing..do it on a much more available box) and to try and schedule rips when you can take breaks every few discs.

I have mine operated vertically with a triple fan after market extractor fan mounted on the top (now impossible to find) and I also blast a large household cooling fan on to the base of the box at an angle so the air flow is directed at an angle to the rear of the device,at full bore. It runs cold for 12-15 hours at a time. I also avoid warm days/rooms. I accumulate new discs until I have 20 or so to do as a batch and do them all at once the idea being that stopping and starting the machine or doing short bursts is what causes expansion/contraction of CPUs and heat sinks and heat transfer compounds leading to failure. I always rip using the PS3 as a network daemon and never interactively use the PS3 for ripping. This is more reliable software than the flaky PS3 tools and of course you rip to large drives and never need to split files etc. There are also buggy earlier versions of the client software the latest one 0.37 is the best in my view. After 1500 discs have not found anything that cannot be read or extracted using this method. And playing games or rendering blu rays with your precious device is just slow suicide.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Ted this is a similar but different issue. It's every rip. However, I discovered that hitting the PS3 button and then not existing the game but going right back, makes the X for the OK button work. IF it asks me to quit game, I hit the back button and then the OK works. I have had the issue you describe. It would happen only sometime.. This is different. The drive that I used for the ripper and keys seems to be corrupted. I may have to reinstall with another USB flash. I'll figure it out.

Yes, Kevin M, I was describing two issues: your issue (hitting the PS3 key to easily fix the X key no response) and another more difficult one (ripping blindly without GUI progress screen).

Yes, Kevin M, I was describing two issues: your issue (hitting the PS3 key to easily fix the X key no response) and another more difficult one (ripping blindly without GUI progress screen).

Ok. How about getting it to rip after this? Mine will only rip if you do the same process. Hit the PS3 key then back. This is every rip. I've never seen anyone have this issue for every rip? My machines will not work without all of these steps. Hitting the X alone never works. I've never seen that reported and I have reread the entire thread? I've ripped 500 SACD. Owned 3 PS3s that were used. I've never had this issue.

Then, after all of these steps, ripper bars come up. SACD goes to completed. Do the steps and hit OK. Then some of the time, there is NOTHING there no rip, nothing, empty flash drive after 20 mins of watching the ripper bars.

No idea. I have only come across four issues that prevent normal ripping (via thumb drive local ripping option, i.e not server):

1) SACD is not recognized and ripper will not progress beyond "no sacd in drive" message (happened twice in 1200 rips)

2) ripper creates an ISO that has bad characters or metadata that prevent good extraction (none here, but others have reported 3-4 Pentatone discs)

3) ripper shows initial loading screen with ISO name but does not move on to progress bar screen; USB thumb drive blinks until finished (this I call the "blind rip" and has occurred maybe 5% of the time; requires patience until thumb drive lights quit blinking). This issue also requires a soft reboot (hold power button) of the PS3 to move onto next disc.

4) ripper does not respond to X button push when finished (PS3 button and back to X clears up the issue; I have mfound that this may occur consistently during long rip session of multiple discs, but usually goes away during next project. It is clearly both the most common, and the easiest to work around))

Hi, I've had success extracting DSF stereo files from 4TB+ ISO's which I've joined with HJSplit, but when I try to extract multichannel i get "ERROR Invalid segment length in frame:..."

This error has only occurred in when extracting the last or second to last track on an album, so I'm assuming it's related to the iso joining. Any tips?

Ted, if there's been an update since ripper version .36, or any update in extraction programs, would you please send to me? Many, many thanks. I'm still running into errors when extracting multichannel from ISO's I've had to join. Tried using HJSplit and 2 other joiner/splitter apps, had the same problem.

One user above said he's never had to worry about joining ISO's larger than 4GB. With FAT32's 4GB limit, I'd love to know how you managed that.

Ted, if there's been an update since ripper version .36, or any update in extraction programs, would you please send to me? Many, many thanks. I'm still running into errors when extracting multichannel from ISO's I've had to join. Tried using HJSplit and 2 other joiner/splitter apps, had the same problem.

One user above said he's never had to worry about joining ISO's larger than 4GB. With FAT32's 4GB limit, I'd love to know how you managed that.

Just found December 2012 extraction program update. Will install that and see if it solves the problem. Still interested in ripper updates if there have been any since .36? Thanks!

There is no ripper beyond 36. Here is the latest Windows-based extractor (v 37), which I've posted a few times already.

sacd_extract_0.3.7_WIN32.zip - sacd-ripper - SACD Extract 0.3.7 (WIN32) - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

The Mac one, and last two Windows ones, is here:

Downloads - sacd-ripper - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

Yes, ISOs larger than 4Gb are split by USB FAt32 thumb drives, and need to be combined using something like HJSplit. I've had no issues, however, extracting from once-split ISOs.

Hi,

I have a ps3 60gb as new that reads SACD but it is running on fw4.xx

Does anyone know how can I downgrade it to 3.55 so that I can rip my SACD collection?

You can't! Please read this thread. It has been said dozens of times that 3.55 is it; that is why these players are so rare on Ebay, etc.

Valery Gergiev, Kirov Orchestra - Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade, Philips 470 618-2

Ripped, combined resulting .001 and .002 files, extracted DST multichannel Files. Tracks 1-5 went through fine, but at 55% of track 6, I get "Error Invalid segment length in frame: 21578." Next line reads "ERROR Illegal arithmetic code in frame: 21579"

Just realized what the problem may be: when I was joining the split ISOs, there were probably multiple .001 and .002 files in the same folder. Perhaps HJ split joined mismatched .001's and .002's? I'll check. But, still no problem with 2-channel extractions from same joined ISOs.

Updating to extractor version 37 solved this problem on all but the Gergiev/Rimsky-Korsakov disc mentioned above. I'll survive without the last minute of that disc in multichannel!

Last question of the day: "Extract DST multichannel files" outputs to .dff by default. Can you see any reason why it would be harmful to convert the resulting .dff's to .dsf using Audiogate? OR, any way to extract in .dff from the start?

Updating to extractor version 37 solved this problem on all but the Gergiev/Rimsky-Korsakov disc mentioned above. I'll survive without the last minute of that disc in multichannel!

Last question of the day: "Extract DST multichannel files" outputs to .dff by default. Can you see any reason why it would be harmful to convert the resulting .dff's to .dsf using Audiogate? OR, any way to extract in .dff from the start?

Audiogate does not convert multichannel. It IS DFF from the start, what do you mean?

Like stereo files, I much prefer DSF for multichannel (tagging, etc) so I run this instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Extract%20DST%20Stereo%20DSF%20Files.zip

Audiogate does not convert multichannel. It IS DFF from the start, what do you mean?

Like stereo files, I much prefer DSF for multichannel (tagging, etc) so I run this instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Extract%20DST%20Stereo%20DSF%20Files.zip

Whoops, that was a typo...meant "is there any way to extract [multichannel] in .dsf from the start"

My goal is just to obtain multichannel DSF. The item you just sent above seems to be for stereo only unless I'm missing something?

Whoops, that was a typo...meant "is there any way to extract [multichannel] in .dsf from the start"

My goal is just to obtain multichannel DSF. The item you just sent above seems to be for stereo only unless I'm missing something?

Sorry:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Extract%20DST%20DSF%20Multichannel%20Files.zip

Perfect! I didn't have that one in my arsenal, must have been part of a more recent update. Anyway, thanks so much! ted_b 4 prez.

PS - that Gergiev/Rimsky-Korsakov disc that was giving me a hard time earlier played nice with this new DSF extraction. Weird huh?

Thanks.

Another question ..

If I extract DSD files can I convert them to PCM [WAV files] with foobar2000 .. I know there is a DSD plugin for playing such files but will it also let me save them as WAV. [i don't want to have to use the Audiogate software unless I have to since I don't have a twitter account].

Thanks.

If I extract DSD files can I convert them to PCM [WAV files] with foobar2000 ..

Yes!

Simply use the "Convert to ..." function of Foobar2000:

Right click on single tracks or multiple selections, in the kontext-menu choose "Convert", use the "..." line, set your options and run it clicking "Convert".

You will find the needed plug-in here:

Super Audio CD Decoder | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

It takes some reading and the correct setting (of the plug-in), but once all is set up, you can convert from ISO files to whatever you like (*.wav, *.flac, *,mp3 ... ;-) ), in stereo and/or multichannel.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II