IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

I am fairly new to all of this, so please forgive my newbie confusion over the file names, etc.

Upon doing some web research, I came across a Foobar plugin called WASAPI. Is this possibly capable of sending the bitstreamed DSD music files to a home theater receiver from a HTPC over HDMI?

The SACD-R concept seems good to me; but it would be great to forego the physical media if possible.

I am fairly sure that the DSD is not streamed via HDMI on HTPC. Commonly, USB or Firewire interface is used. Be it with ASIO Native DSD driver or DSD over PCM driver (most Firewire devices use this implementation). For multichannel implementation ala Mytek, you just use 3 DACs and 3 USB interface. I have not tried toying with multichannel DSD via USB to Oppo 105. Perhaps someone can chip in.

Hi ted_b,

I have just taken delivery of an original PS3 with SACD ripping capabilities and I would like to rip my collection of SACDs to my server. I would very much appreciate access to your guide ted_b.

Thanks in advance.

PM sent. Welcome to CA

I want to thank ted_b for a wonderfully written guide, and all who have helped to make SACD ripping possible! My SACD's have languished for a few years as computer playback made other music so easily playable, and, with my old Sony SCD-1 player having so long load times, they were never played. I have ripped my 180 odd SACD's and am waiting with baited breath for my Mytek to arrive so I can listen to them again. Blue Coast Records has a $200 coupon (for music at their store) and a free 100hr burn-in for the Mytek (but you pay $50 for shipping-free at the Mytek site), a good deal in my opinion. I too will be willing to rip SACD's for free while my PS3 holds up anyone who has not yet aquired a PS3. Just PM me. All messages welcome and thanks again everyone :)

I want to thank ted_b for a wonderfully written guide, and all who have helped to make SACD ripping possible! My SACD's have languished for a few years as computer playback made other music so easily playable, and, with my old Sony SCD-1 player having so long load times, they were never played. I have ripped my 180 odd SACD's and am waiting with baited breath for my Mytek to arrive so I can listen to them again. Blue Coast Records has a $200 coupon (for music at their store) and a free 100hr burn-in for the Mytek (but you pay $50 for shipping-free at the Mytek site), a good deal in my opinion. I too will be willing to rip SACD's for free while my PS3 holds up anyone who has not yet aquired a PS3. Just PM me. All messages welcome and thanks again everyone :)

I'd like to second this post. ted_b has put a lot of effort into documenting the process of ripping SACDs and I found it so easy by just following the guide. I've just finished ripping my first disc and it all went perfectly.

180 SACDs sbuckeye ?! Nice !

Oh, and Mr Wicked, you are a reverse engineering god.

Hi Ted,

Would you kindly PM me with your sacd ripping guide? I'd like to create a bat file to automate the extraction of multiple ISO sacd rips. I'm just not sure on how to write the bat script and if I understand correctly, your PDF guide illustrates how this is accomplished.

Thanks in advance!

Battles

Hi, a question for folks looking at this thread -

I've been ripping using the ISO-over-network script. About a week ago, in association with some other problems the PS3 was having (since fixed), the network script stopped working. In the command line window that pops up for the network script which ordinarily shows the progress of the ISO being transmitted, nothing appears, and eventually a dialog box pops up saying "sacd_extract.exe has stopped working." I assume this means it hasn't received any data so the process has crashed/died.

After getting the PS3 back from repair, putting the ISO on a USB stick works fine, but the network script doesn't - still has the same problem described above.

I've reinstalled sacd-extract (version 3.7) and re-re-checked the batch command. Anyone have suggestions regarding how to get the PS3 and Windows 8 to play nice again over the network?

Thanks.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, I wish I could help but the network daemon stuff is my blind spot on this. I've never used it since my trusty ripper (1168 SACD rips and counting...I know...I just jinxed it) is an early non-networked PS3.

Anybody?

Jud, I wish I could help but the network daemon stuff is my blind spot on this. I've never used it since my trusty ripper (1168 SACD rips and counting...I know...I just jinxed it) is an early non-networked PS3.

Anybody?

Heck, I didn't know they even made non-networked game consoles.

Horse-drawn or steam-powered? ;)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Heck, I didn't know they even made non-networked game consoles.

Horse-drawn or steam-powered? ;)

LOL. I meant non-wifi. Doh! But yeah, mine seems to be divine-powered so far. I've moved some stuff around; maybe I'll hook a cat 6 to it and try the network stuff, just so, in my next guide update, I can say I used it.

Spent an interesting afternoon today with an audiophile who owns one of those old PS3s. We ripped my little collection of Esoteric SACDs to .iso files. He plays them back using the JRiver media player on a Windows machine using on-the-fly to PCM conversion, and recommended that although the files could be converted to PCM using e.g. Korg AudioGate, in all likelihood my best option would be to play them back on my Mac using e.g. ChannelD's Pure Music media player (again, using its on-the-fly conversion capabilities). I'm planning to give this a try, of course, but would be curious to hear if there are other options and if so, which? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Spent an interesting afternoon today with an audiophile who owns one of those old PS3s. We ripped my little collection of Esoteric SACDs to .iso files. He plays them back using the JRiver media player on a Windows machine using on-the-fly to PCM conversion, and recommended that although the files could be converted to PCM using e.g. Korg AudioGate, in all likelihood my best option would be to play them back on my Mac using e.g. ChannelD's Pure Music media player (again, using its on-the-fly conversion capabilities). I'm planning to give this a try, of course, but would be curious to hear if there are other options and if so, which? Thanks in advance!

Audirvana Plus for Mac, HQPlayer for Win, Linux, and (a bit more involved) for Mac.

Audirvana Plus for Mac, HQPlayer for Win, Linux, and (a bit more involved) for Mac.

Thanks! I'm most interested in on-the-fly conversion to PCM on the Mac - any preference for Audirvana Plus over Pure Music (or vice versa), in terms of either sound or stability (for this specific purpose)?

Thanks! I'm most interested in on-the-fly conversion to PCM on the Mac - any preference for Audirvana Plus versus Pure Music (or vice versa), in terms of either sound or stability (for this specific purpose)?

Because I prefer Audirvana+ generally, I use it for this purpose, and have not tried PM. Before I got a DAC that plays DSD natively (you need one! ;), I was happy with the way Audirvana+ handled conversion. But it is easy enough for you to try both and see what you prefer. (BTW, I am using the 1.4.9.7 beta of Audirvana+ because I prefer its sound to that of the current final version. The download link is http://audirvana.com/delivery/AudirvanaPlus_1.4.9.7.dmg .)