IGNORED

Article: Review - The WATT/Puppy from Wilson Audio

Chris, you have one of the best jobs in the world!  But, better than that, the passion of your expanding love of music shines!  The physical simplicity of the equipment and the software is also very telling!  Also, belying the background effort to produce the products!

Looking back to the "old WATT/Puppy," could you have dreamed of this new experience?

It begs the question, can this be that easy to do?  The skill sets involved, and the professional work shown stands out in the recordings you posted.

I had a 90 minute listening session with these at a local dealer a few days ago. The mids and the highs sounded great. Not the transparency of an electrostat, but better than anything I heard from Wilson. However, the volume of bass this unit puts out is just unacceptable. Even though they were carefully positioned by a high volume authorized Wilson dealer in a good sized room, they still produced boomy unnatural uncontrolled sounding bass. It reminded me of the Sophias I owned 20 years ago. This is not what real music sounds like. On lean sounding recordings, this could work, but on my Groove Note SACDs and Mark Levinson recordings, there was simply an excess amount of bass energy that you would never hear in live unamplified music, These would be perfect if they got rid of that mid-bass hump. Until then I'm not going to buy them. I am surprised you didn't mention this. It sounds a bit like a promo. No product is perfect and the flaws should be noted.

BTW, I can hear the boomy bass on your Midnight Sugar video. That's exactly what I heard at my local dealer. An acoustic bass blends into the background and fills in the lower registers. It doesn't boom in your face like this speaker is doing, except in close miked solos. Unacceptable otherwise.

42 minutes ago, Tascam said:

I had a 90 minute listening session with these at a local dealer a few days ago. The mids and the highs sounded great. Not the transparency of an electrostat, but better than anything I heard from Wilson. However, the volume of bass this unit puts out is just unacceptable. Even though they were carefully positioned by a high volume authorized Wilson dealer in a good sized room, they still produced boomy unnatural uncontrolled sounding bass. It reminded me of the Sophias I owned 20 years ago. This is not what real music sounds like. On lean sounding recordings, this could work, but on my Groove Note SACDs and Mark Levinson recordings, there was simply an excess amount of bass energy that you would never hear in live unamplified music, These would be perfect if they got rid of that mid-bass hump. Until then I'm not going to buy them. I am surprised you didn't mention this. It sounds a bit like a promo. No product is perfect and the flaws should be noted.

BTW, I can hear the boomy bass on your Midnight Sugar video. That's exactly what I heard at my local dealer. An acoustic bass blends into the background and fills in the lower registers. It doesn't boom in your face like this speaker is doing, except in close miked solos. Unacceptable otherwise.

Hi Tascam, have you seen the anechoic measurements of these speakers? In addition, what does a frequency sweep of the room look like at the listening position? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

They likely have lead in them. 

At €50,000 in France, I rather think that their weight can be explained by the presence of solid gold!! 😆

Mac Mini 2012 SSD > Weiss INT203 > Lavry DA10 > Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta r2 > Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 bookshelf.

CD's exported as DDP and AIFF downloaded files [44 to 192 KHz] played by soundBlade 2.2.

Everything matters, including if the girl loves you or not.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Keep in mind that my iPhone was used to record that, with a nonlinear microphone, in a lossy format. 

I'm aware of that, but I was making a point to describe what I heard in person at the dealer. It's the same overblown boomy bass