IGNORED

Deep Purple Machine Head TrueHD Dolby Atmos Blu-ray

I also think the original tapes were quad. I had a friend that had a huge quad Onkyo receiver and 4 - JBL L-100's in a small one bedroom apartment. Of course this was 1978-80. He had the quad vinyl.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

12 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I also think the original tapes were quad. I had a friend that had a huge quad Onkyo receiver and 4 - JBL L-100's in a small one bedroom apartment. Of course this was 1978-80. He had the quad vinyl.

1980 could be a repress. but 1978 might have been the 1972 pressing
My favourite is only part of different box sets. its not part of the original pressing.

5 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Does it include "When a blind man cries"?

image.png.708fbd6f65a432ebf98990abf73f50ad.pnghttps://superdeluxeedition.com/news/deep-purple-machine-head-super-deluxe/ 

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 1 month later...

I've been listening this afternoon to the Atmos version. I love it. I have no real connection to the original versions of this album, other than hearing a couple of the tracks on the radio a million times. I think this puts me in a good / neutral position for the D. Zappa remix, and enables me to really enjoy it. Word on the street is that many people who know this album inside and out, aren't too pleased with the Atmos mix. At least we have options and at least it's something different from the other releases of this album. There's nothing worse than repackaging the same thing to sell to super fans again and again. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

Only 2CH here, listened right through the album while washing my car on Makita DMR300 Bluetooth Jobsite Radio from Samsung Galaxy S22, streaming from Jriver remote.

Wasn't bad at all, couldn't tell if much of the new mix was radically different compared to an aural memory.

Then played on audio system a few hours later. The opening to "Highway Star", those falsetto highs, where is, back in the mix. I tried to listen for a little, didn't like it. Opened the 2011 SACD (2CH DSF), more like traditional what I'm used to with Machine Head, some 52 years listening on and off!

Looked up the DR database, DZ version is a 9, the SACD 2011 is a 12, that explains from an objective view the subjective impression. Yet another remaster compressed. Why not mix to whatever and leave the compressor setting at 1.0.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA