IGNORED

I’m happy for my Canadian friends

9 hours ago, Indydan said:

I have been comparing Qobuz to Tidal for two days now. They sound exactly the same! Qobuz is not better than Tidal for sound quality, unfortunately. 

Interesting.  I haven't done a playlist by playlist comparison like others have - and have no intention of doing so, but just from a few CD quality albums that I've played over the last couple of days I see a noticeable difference with Qobuz over Tidal.  

That being said, there are so many variables that I'm not willing to take the conversation any further.  

I should note that I had Tidal HiFi after having downgraded from Hi-Fi Plus.  Perhaps there's something with that option that explains the difference. 

I have no interest in going back to Tidal and HiFi Plus to do a side-by-side in depth analysis. 

I've been waiting for Qobuz for a few years now, largely based on two things - the music is CD quality or better, and I can easily buy the albums that I would like.  

Being able to buy music may not be a big thing for many people who stream music, but for me being able to buy an album and have it in my library is a positive thing.  

When the nukes start flying, and there's no more internet, I will still be able to listen to my solar powered battery stereo system built from a scrapped electric car. 

People who relied on a streaming service will have to listen to static.  :)

I live in an area where internet providers were slow at upgrading their network services , I rip my entire library of music and still do purchase CDs even though network fibre is now available the enormous amount of noise effecting sound quality while streaming I’ve read plenty testimonials of others experiencing much better sound quality performance while streaming.

Myself I have noticed a jump in performance after replacing my Lan cable and purchasing a English Electric switch though I do  stream internet radio a year ago went from near unlistenable to a pleasure now with select stations . 

Visiting an American friend on occasion whom streams all of his music he told me he welcomed Qobuz as a better alternative to Tital ,myself I have not A-B’ed the two services I still have not subscribed to any streaming service though someday I will . Having 2TB of ripped CDs I have plenty of music to choose from though I listen mostly to internet radio including FM broadcast on occasion in my home office 6-7 hours a day 5 days a week it’s more then I ever would with my main system.

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

What took them so long?  Canada should have been onboard a long time ago.

Qobuz is backed by a Canadian company called Quebecor. Quebecor launched their own streaming service, QUB Musique, in 2020 and we had to wait until they finally pulled the plug on that venture.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, Nikhil said:

What took them so long?  Canada should have been onboard a long time ago.

I took a CPE seminar Government Trends 2023 from Deloite & Touche yesterday. The two Canadian speakers described the internet in Canada as an adventure. That may hve something to do with it.

On 4/22/2023 at 5:12 AM, StephenJK said:

[...]

When the nukes start flying, and there's no more internet, I will still be able to listen to my solar powered battery stereo system built from a scrapped electric car. 

People who relied on a streaming service will have to listen to static.  :)

We had long blackouts after Russian shellings, up to 20-30 hours each time. Beginning last October and continuing through the winter months. Nevertheless, many people adapted, used fuel generators, and there was electricity almost all the time. Along with the Internet there was also streaming, so I don't feel like I couldn't listen to music when I wanted to. In the rare long breaks, and there were several times during the first weeks of blackouts, I read books with the light of portable lamp. 

On 4/27/2023 at 11:44 PM, Rt66indierock said:

I took a CPE seminar Government Trends 2023 from Deloite & Touche yesterday. The two Canadian speakers described the internet in Canada as an adventure. That may hve something to do with it.

Are you serious?  I thought you guys were joking about the internet being an issue.   

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

On 4/27/2023 at 11:14 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Would you care to indicate the basis upon which they described it as an "adventure"? That single word may attract attention, but it doesn't offer any information of value.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

Would you care to indicate the basis upon which they described it as an "adventure"? That single word may attract attention, but it doesn't offer any information of value.

They were discussing the challenges of delivering government services to people digitally. And the distribution of Canada’s population adds to the challenge.

16 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

They were discussing the challenges of delivering government services to people digitally. And the distribution of Canada’s population adds to the challenge.

To refer to the internet in Canada as an "adventure", generally, is clearly hyperbole. Access to the internet in remote areas may be an important issue but, IMO, it hardly calls for an overall indictment of this nature.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 5/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, Allan F said:

To refer to the internet in Canada as an "adventure", generally, is clearly hyperbole. Access to the internet in remote areas may be an important issue but, IMO, it hardly calls for an overall indictment of this nature.

Blame the Deloitte people they said it. I played golf in Sedona Arizona yesterday with a guy from NS. He said his internet was good in the community he lived in but it got worse not far away.

11 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Blame the Deloitte people they said it. I played golf in Sedona Arizona yesterday with a guy from NS. He said his internet was good in the community he lived in but it got worse not far away.

Surely, you are not offering this as anecdotal evidence proving that the "internet in Canada is an adventure"!

Since we have no idea what was actually meant by "internet in Canada is an adventure", sort of pointless to discuss it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Since we have no idea what was actually meant by "internet in Canada is an adventure", sort of pointless to discuss it.

"Adventure" implies challenging or, at the very least, unusual/other than normal. IMO, neither are accurate or apt descriptions. Over and out!

@Indydan couldn't disagree more--SQ is is superior layout spectacular and no MQA to boot just HiRes and album selections artist more deep/inclusive than TIDAL. Have had it (Qobuz) since it's inception begged  them in French and English when it wasn't available in USA and at first had 'FRENCH" address Oneida New France which is what the Northeast USA would have been called if the French had won on the Plains of Abraham--thought it was pretty cheeky of them then @Dan Mackta (sic) called me hooked me up with a young tech in Brooklyn(by phone no less) who got me transferred to my USA address with all my playlists favorites and purchases i made--try that with TIDAL ie support. FYI try it with Audirvana Studio the SQ is even better IMHO.

bobbmd

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 4:11 PM, bobbmd said:

Have had it (Qobuz) since it's inception begged  them in French and English when it wasn't available in USA ..

Same here, but didn't have to beg (had a free download thrown in as well, due to an issue I can't remember)🤐