IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

35 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

it's clear I can't communicate this morning. Please disregard anything I posted earlier. it's totally normal that an AAA release is being advertised and released on vinyl.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Apropos of this discussion, I have realized that I don't know enough about record production to know what I don't know. 

I just read this in connection with yet another Miles Davis reissue (and happy birthday, Miles) :

"The albums have all been mastered AAA from 1-to-1 tape transfers of the master tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound." 

Before the MoFi dispute popped up, I would have understood that to mean "all analogue, all the way," without digital processing at any stage.  Now, I have no idea.  Does the AAA reference preclude digital steps or does it simply mean that certain steps are analogue? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

It would be interesting to me to learn about the economics of these kinds of reissues.  I have no ideal of the market size for mono recordings.

It would also be interesting to know how many people actually play these kinds of records vs. collecting for re-sale to other folks who also don't play them.  Does the value increase if the seller states "Never been touched by a stylus.  Mint condition" ?

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps my initial post wasn't very clear. I'm not surprised by the release of any album from any artist on vinyl. My surprise is that it's touted as being ALL ANALOG. Given what MoFi just went through and knowing a little about what it takes and the limits of producing an ALL ANALOG album on vinyl, this sounded like it may be too difficult to actually pull off today.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Analog mastering is offered by tons of people and places. 

I may have misunderstood what you wrote..

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

58 minutes ago, PYP said:

It would be interesting to me to learn about the economics of these kinds of reissues.  I have no ideal of the market size for mono recordings.

It would also be interesting to know how many people actually play these kinds of records vs. collecting for re-sale to other folks who also don't play them.  Does the value increase if the seller states "Never been touched by a stylus.  Mint condition" ?

I'm collecting mono Vinyl in order to play them.... no re-issues for me as I have heard the sonic difference between a 1st press and subsequent ones and reissues. I'll gladly take a VG+ over a mint or near mint, mono is more foregiving anyway.

Means I'll probably not be able to own some records... an original first press Johanna Martzy Bach solo in VG+ is still prohibitively expensive;

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/2496996812?format=Vinyl&text=Bach-Johanna-Martzy-The-Unaccompanied-Violin-Sonatas-Volume-One&utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_source=relationship&utm_medium=pm&ev=wh_new

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

20 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Means I'll probably not be able to own some records... an original first press Johanna Martzy Bach solo in VG+ is still prohibitively expensive;

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/2496996812?format=Vinyl&text=Bach-Johanna-Martzy-The-Unaccompanied-Violin-Sonatas-Volume-One&utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_source=relationship&utm_medium=pm&ev=wh_new

Umm...wow.  That explains some of the economics of this kind of re-issue, especially if you own the tapes and rights as Blue Note does for so much Jazz.  

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Smoke from your neighbors.? ;-) 

I thought this was a problem typical to the Netherlands.. Stoner emoji

more likely a gummy that looked appetizing.  

On 5/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, Mike Rubin said:

"The albums have all been mastered AAA from 1-to-1 tape transfers of the master tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound." 

That sounds to me like they made  tape copies of the master tapes and then mastered analog from those. I can imagine that would be done to avoid wear and tear on the original tape masters. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

That sounds to me like they made  tape copies of the master tapes and then mastered analog from those. I can imagine that would be done to avoid wear and tear on the original tape masters. 

That's what I was thinking. Nothing in that sentence implies a digital step, though? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Only 1,486 claims were received in the class action suit.

any idea what percentage this is of the total number of owners?  just curious.  

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

Less than 2% at best.

that confirms my cranky bias that this was always a tempest in a teapot. 

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Less than 2% at best.

That equates to something like 75,000 people with such recordings.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...

The estimated claims for a 5% refund or a full refund are about $301,000. Refunds of sales tax and shipping are estimated to be $48,000.

Plaintiff’s attorneys are asking for $290,00 in legal fees. Defendants’ legal fees are unknown.

Some class members filed more than one claim, so the actual number of class members is 1,002. The average number of albums per class member was 13.

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

The estimated claims for a 5% refund or a full refund are about $301,000. Refunds of sales tax and shipping are estimated to be $48,000.

Plaintiff’s attorneys are asking for $290,00 in legal fees. Defendants’ legal fees are unknown.

Some class members filed more than one claim, so the actual number of class members is 1,002. The average number of albums per class member was 13.

all in all, do you think this is a good result?  Did plaintiff's get a fair deal and did the company suffer sufficiently for being naughty?