IGNORED

Article: Review: Ayre QX-5 Twenty USB2 Upgrade

2 hours ago, Mercman said:

I also tried upsampling everything to DSD512 with Roon and Audirvana Studio, but I found that the sound was better listening at native sampling rates with my setup.  Charley Hansen felt that upsampling didn't benefit his DAC and the USB2 board confirmed this,

Steve,

I wouldn’t use Roon upsampling as a basis for judging the value of upsampling with the USB2. HQPlayer and PGGB are much better.

I recommend trying PCM 705.6/768 (16FS) with PGGB. With HQPlayer, try both DSD256 and  DSD512.

As an ES9038Pro DAC, I'd be careful about the limits of DSD256 and DSD512 performance.

Remember guys, bigger isn't always better. There are important nuances and unlike AKM 449X DACs, the ESS offerings do not have "DSD-Direct" modes. Not to say that the ESS doesn't sound good, just that optimal performance needs to be considered in this context.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

As an ES9038Pro DAC, I'd be careful about the limits of DSD256 and DSD512 performance.

Remember guys, bigger isn't always better. There are important nuances and unlike AKM 449X DACs, the ESS offerings do not have "DSD-Direct" modes. Not to say that the ESS doesn't sound good, just that optimal performance needs to be considered in this context.

Good point!

I tried DSD upsampling merely for curiosity. I found upsampling PCM to 16FS to bypass the Ayre MP filter to provide more of an SQ uplift.

2 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Very interesting review. I own a QX-5 Twenty with the USB2 board and I've been loving the new sound, the other inputs are now redundant as far as I'm concerned. I would just like to add a note of caution when comparing straight 44.1 KHz w/ the Music filter vs 16X upsampling and bypassing this filter. Since the Music filter is a slow roll-off type it begins reducing high frequencies just above 10 KHz, and according to John Atkinson's measurements it is down 1 dB at 13 KHz. Personally I find this mild high frequency reduction very audible and it results in the loss of some reverberation and a reduced sense of the recording space. It can make some classical recordings sound very dry and dull, particularly those made with a more "natural" microphone technique. I am one of the few people that actually prefers the Measure filter because it restores a flat frequency response. Consequently, if you upsample 44.1 KHz content to 705.6 KHz and bypass the Music filter you are also restoring the high frequencies compared to using the Music filter with 44.1 KHz content. The same is true for 48 KHz but to a lesser extent. Filter character aside, you may or may not find the change in high frequency response to be audible.

Again, thanks for the review and the useful information that it provided. I had no idea that the Ayre filter was bypassed if fed a 16X file, a potentially very useful thing to know.

Very interesting. I must admit, I had done the Music vs. Measure filter comparison some time ago, and decided to stick to Music. I didn’t revisit it in the context of the new USB2 upgrade.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, mr_bill said:

Does anyone know if the  USB2 is used in the QB9 Twenty upgrade??

Yes it is.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond