IGNORED

Best DAC/Streamer For $1k?

A friend of mine with a great love for music (also a fairly adept guitarist) but zero audio background decided to finally get himself an audio system. He's economically challenged, to a degree, but has been saving for a long time with this in mind. With my input  he now has a system composed of a tube based integrated amp, a remarkably good pair of speakers that we virtually stole from a audio related friend of mine, and a solid turntable for his vinyl.  Now, his critical need is for a streamer/DAc combo, or a standalone DAC and streamer, used or new, for no more than $1k in total. 

His only requirements, other than it all sounding good, are the ease of use, the ability to use Tidal (I may talk him into Qobuz down the line) and to be able to easily control things via his iPad. 

Again, I'm very familiar with things further above that price point, but not as well versed in budget gear. I know many of you have very significant expertise in this area. Any recommendations, suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. This guy truly loves music, and needs a DAC/Streaming setup that can provide quality sound. 

JC

The friend I've mentioned is a big Schiit fan, as he has a headphone amp that he loves from them, and his brother has system with a lot of Schiit involved that I put together for him. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Given a choice, he would really like to have a Schiit Bifrost DAC, but you never see them used, and I cannot think of any streamer that could be added with what would left of his budget after expending $700.00 on that DAC.

JC

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

BTW, I had a Schiit Gumby DAC which of course is a level up from Bifrost. I consider the Mojo better in all areas other than male vocals. Especially for headphone use.

Interesting. And that still holds for non headphone use? I can't see him ever using it for headphones. 

JC

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

The DAC part is easy Chord Mojo or Mojo 2. Thinking that the Ifi Zen Streamer at $399 would make a lot of sense

Thanks David. Just briefly scanned through a couple excellent reviews of the ifi Zen streamer. I also saw that The Absolute Sound named it one of their products of the year for 2021. Impressive, as most of the products are ten times the price, minimum. 

So, just to absolutely clarify things, we hook my friend up with a good dac in his price range, connect it up to the ifi Zen streamer, and then connect the Zen streamer to his internet and downloads the ifi streaming app. And Finally he controls it, and the Tidal signal being sent to the ifi Zen via his iPad? 

JC

Not sure about “best” but this is about the cheapest off the shelf “hifi” streamer,  as in network in and analogue out, built in Tidal, UPNP etc.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2/

In the UK at least is sold through bricks and mortar hifi stores so possibility for local support and retails at £270 thus well within budget.  I have no experience of product  though, so can’t endorse sound or build quality or ease of use.

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

And Finally he controls it, and the Tidal signal being sent to the ifi Zen via his iPad?

That would imply using AirPlay, which the iFi Zen Stream does support. However, for TIDAL it can go one better as it also supports TIDAL Connect, where the file tracks will be streamed by the iFi Zen stream itself directly from TIDAL's online server, rather than indirectly via the TIDAL app's audio output signal on his iPad & AirPlay. So with TIDAL Connect, he can switch off the iPad and all the tracks that were on the TIDAL app's playlist will carry on playing.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

47 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

However, for TIDAL it can go one better as it also supports TIDAL Connect

According to the iFi page for this product: “Tidal streaming
If you are a subscriber to Tidal’s Masters Tier, this is the mode for you.“

This is similar to the description of Tidal Connect on the MQA site, but might confuse potential purchasers - I’m presuming that Tidal Connect doesn’t in itself offer the initial MQA decode or render and as the Zen streamer doesn’t appear to either, surely it’s suitability for Masters playback depends entirely on the MQA abilities of the DAC  being used downstream?  Or am I wrong and Tidal connect sends decoded MQA from Tidal’s servers?

The TIDAL Connect MQA decoder exists, but it is optional (presumably at a premium to the streamer manufacturer, via a license from MQA Limited).

According to the iFi Audio representative that frequents avforums.com, the Zen Stream's TIDAL Connect does come with the MQA decoder:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/what-streamer-node-2i-yamaha-wxad-10-or-other.2318556/page-2#post-29867818

image.png.4cbb1d6fd7a304017c6c150e0e98dc26.png

An example of a streamer supporting TIDAL Connect, that doesn't have the MQA decoder is Volumio Premium (despite its users having to pay for the privilege of enabling the premium version of Volumio).  

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Matrix Audio makes some nice streamer/dacs. I own one I like.

The Volumio is also a good choice. I also have one of theirs. 

The Stream Box is probably also a fine unit.

But if he wants the Schiit DAC, why not just add a Raspberry Pi or any other small compact PC as a streamer? Those can all be had for less than $300 - within budget. 

The Schiit has a great USB input so it will sound fine with such a streamer. You don't have to buy something with the label "audiophile to get good results. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

The TIDAL Connect MQA decoder exists, but it is optional (presumably at a premium to the streamer manufacturer, via a license from MQA Limited).

Thanks.  So a Tidal Connect device may or may not come with on board MQA processing and if so and the device has a digital output, presumably this will be limited to initial decode only?

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

the Zen Stream fw is Volumio (... based)

Indeed - so no technical reason for vanilla Volumio Premium not to have the MQA decoder.  

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Thanks.  So a Tidal Connect device may or may not come with on board MQA processing and if so and the device has a digital output, presumably this will be limited to initial decode only?

Yes, MQA limited have licensed the MQA renderer final stage for use in DAC hardware only, with strictly no digital side tap output allowed.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks for everyone's comments and assistance.

Unexpectedly, after I sent him some comments, and the Absolute Sound review, intending for us to discuss them, as I noted in the e-mail, as well as other potential options. my friend has just notified me that he has already gone and purchased the ifi Zen streamer. He liked the review and just decided to grab one. 

So it would appear that it is now down to the best new/ or hopefully used DAC that he can purchase for $600.00, to use with he system. 

33 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks for everyone's comments and assistance.

Unexpectedly, after I sent him some comments, and the Absolute Sound review, intending for us to discuss them, as I noted in the e-mail, as well as other potential options. my friend has just notified me that he has already gone and purchased the ifi Zen streamer. He liked the review and just decided to grab one. 

So it would appear that it is now down to the best new/ or hopefully used DAC that he can purchase for $600.00, to use with he system. 

It does not get mentioned much in here. I have been using a ifi neo idsd dac that would be god matched with the zen stream (great choice by the way)

A used Neo should be within/below the price range and sounds great with its native dsd playback upto 512, pcm upto 32/768. Support for mqa decoding as well (if you are a fan)

4 hours ago, Rexp said:

Buying any DAC without listening to it with the Zen Stream would be a mistake IMO.

Fine, and you are, of course, in every optimal sense,  correct, but there isn't a prayer of being able to actually audition any DAC with the Zen Stream. 

JC

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Fine, and you are, of course, in every optimal sense,  correct, but there isn't a prayer of being able to actually audition any DAC with the Zen Stream. 

JC

Lots of DACs can be bought on a trial basis..