IGNORED

Article: SOtM Launches sMB-Q370 Motherboard

what I read until now it seems as if the PCI bus has it's own clock...YMMV....I'll wait for the more informed response from Jord....

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

37 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

hmmm this is to be able to use a graphic card.. 

why would you use a full bandwidth graphic card in a motherboard especially designed for audio ? cpu direct lanes has always sounded better with USB add-on cards than the ones on the south bridge (which is off-coarse slower).

21 hours ago, Dev said:

why would you use a full bandwidth graphic card in a motherboard especially designed for audio ? cpu direct lanes has always sounded better with USB add-on cards than the ones on the south bridge (which is off-coarse slower).

Obviously there will be users who want the PC for playing audio plus "video" as well..  

And you can use the tX-USBexp to x16.

And there are so many audio elements to consider other than what you think of the PCIe bus. I can't explain everything .

Anyway, using the usb port with pcie x16 will help certainly sound quality, but the improvement in other parts would be bigger than that.

I bet you will be able to experience the difference in sound quality from other motherboard immediately once use the sMB-370, please try it.

22 hours ago, Dev said:

Perhaps also for people running a graphic card for HQ Player ?

38 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Obviously there will be users who want the PC for playing audio plus "video" as well..  

Video ? just curious, why do we need one for an audio pc ? maybe someone building a gaming rig might consider it but then its only compatible with 9th gen proc.

39 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

And you can use the tX-USBexp to x16.

Any PCIe card can be used with x16 lanes. The question is we are probably wasting critical bandwidth.  tX-USBexp is still x1, so are any Audio grade USB cards, like JCAT, Pink Faun, etc.

40 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

And there are so many audio elements to consider other than what you think of the PCIe bus. I can't explain everything .

I agree. I wasn't saying that PCIe bus is the only factor but it provides more flexibility when only used for audio.

46 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

I bet you will be able to experience the difference in sound quality from other motherboard immediately once use the sMB-370, please try it.

I don't doubt it. Do you have a list of features that differentiates this motherboard from the off the shelf ones ? If its already available, pls share the link ?

46 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

Perhaps also for people running a graphic card for HQ Player ?

Does Miska suggests to use the graphic card in cpu direct lanes ? I would probably not venture into this motherboard if I were doing HQP upsampling. The motherboard is only compatible upto 9th gen proc which isn't fast enough for sophisticated filters.

9 minutes ago, Dev said:

Does Miska suggests to use the graphic card in cpu direct lanes ? I would probably not venture into this motherboard if I were doing HQP upsampling. The motherboard is only compatible upto 9th gen proc which isn't fast enough for sophisticated filters.

I don’t know, I just mentioned this as an option that could make sense. Your inputs makes sense but not everybody is looking for the most sophisticated filters.

8 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

I don’t know, I just mentioned this as an option that could make sense. Your inputs makes sense but not everybody is looking for the most sophisticated filters.

You maybe right. I don’t upsample and hence don’t have much idea on this but what I see in HQP thread is most folks are building the most powerful rig that is possible as of today. Anyway, this might be out of topic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...