IGNORED

First music server - is my spec rubbish?

TimF

So here's my first attempt at a spec, I've done some extensive reading on here to come up with this but I still have a few gaps. I suspect I've made some mistakes and improvements are possible. I've added rough UK prices too, if I've chosen something too expensive that isn't necessary and should upgrade elsewhere it'd be useful to know. I wanted to go ATX and full size case so that I could tweak in the future and not worry about space.

Cheers, Tim

• HDPLEX H5 case ATX Size (400) (not readily available so may not the best choice)
  • Apacer RAM x4 2666MHz Apacer RAM (200)
  • https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Apacer/D3123185S001?qs=Cb2nCFKsA8prqNusSnCNZw==  
  • Intel Optane Memory H10 1TB M.2-2280 SSD (200)
  • NET Card FEMTO (400)
  • JCAT USB Femto - already purchased - I know there are better options
  • HDPLEX 500W ATX Linear Power Supply - already purchased (external one)
  • Software - No idea! I use Tidal and could rip some CDs later on

AMD Option:

• Ryzen 9 5900X - selected due to large cache size (70mb) (500)
  • Motherboard - not sure ideally ATX

Intel Option 

• Intel Core i9-9900k (300)
  • Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XIII? (400) - a bit of a guess this one

DAC is Lampizator Golden Gate 2 (using USB)
Other kit is ARC amps and Focal Utopia speakers

Thanks guys. I have a couple of good usb cables and have picked up a isoregen. I have no external clock for the iso or psu budgeted. 

I will try upsampling (not done this before). Dac does DSD 256. 

Any views on intel versus amd ? Motherboard advice ? Still missing software options too. 
Streacom looks like a possible alternative case too. 

thanks ! 

Streacom is a good option if you need to go now.  But I think the HDPlex is more flexible if you can wait (mid Sep in the US), esp. since you have the HDPlex power stuff.

I've always used Intel with the integrated graphics.  I'm using the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E now, but am eyeing the Z590-E, though it would need the pricier 11th gen processor for best results.

3 hours ago, TimF said:

Reading further the network card choice and power strategy look sub optimal. 

Depends what you're trying to accomplish and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Personally I've had really good luck with fiber Nics. Some prefer to stick with copper though.

There are various useful threads here which cover the networking portion. Please check my profile for some ideas.

Thanks, I'd like to go expensive but not madness levels so probably around 5k (uk pounds). Seems like major problem is mixing and matching LPSU's so that's my next challenge, to optimise this without needed all top of the range ones in place. Any place I can find which specific mix of LPSU's works?

Getting there after a lot more reading! thanks all for your patience and current answers.... A few questions. I've tried to split these out so they're not too hard to read.

CPU and motherboard

• Looking at CPU's the one I looked at is probably too high power consumption for passive cooling. I see the main ones are 3700X AMD and 9900K Intel. Others are the 10900K and 3950x. I am unclear whether new architecture is worth it due to cooling issues and potential underclocking requirements to run these.
  • Asus Motherboard Intel Z590, ROG Strix Z590-E seems better than the older Z490 due to M2 memory interface with the processor only applicable to newer 10900K chip.
  • Summary: Seems as if the older chips are ok given price versus performance?

USB

• JCAT USB Femto that I own seems like a big downgrade on the newer card and should be changed?

POWER

• HDPLEX 500W ATX external Linear Power Supply that I own is ok but not great - I may start out with this just to try it
  • Taiko ATX and unregulated PSU make sense but who can build the unregulated PSUs (UK?)
  • To power the 5v Network and 5v USB cards seems as if I need another decent external power supply, is this correct or can the Taiko handle this well?
  • If I can't get an unregulated PSU would it be madness to use the HDPLEX to power its DC input then use the two 5v feeds for the network and USB cards???

Thanks, Tim

Lots of good questions. I agree it makes sense to start now with the HDPlex 500W and upgrade later 

As far as CPU many here are very happy with the 10900K / 3950X. If I were to start my build today I would probably go with either of these for a single CPU build.

Go with Z590 if you can. 

Yes I happily use an older chip but I suspect the new chips with more cores provide a larger more dynamic sound (all else equal). Would I go with an older chip today? Probably not, unless I got a super good deal on parts.

To power the 5V cards, good power matters here too. You'll want to look at Uptone JS-2, JCAT Optimo or Initio, Farad Super3, Sean Jacobs DC3 / DC4, or Teddy Pardo as some seem to be happy with all of these.

Yes, the Taiko can handle the 5v cards via internal power or from the pins directly. I have not compared it to external power for my usb/nvme.

As for your last suggestion, I believe someone tried powering the Taiko via the Hdplex and it didn't quite work as expected. I can't recall who nor do I know if this occured for multiple user or if it was a one off. I don't think it would hurt to try. Yes the Hdplex can power the cards as well.

I would not sweat too much about the CPU/MB (unless you want to go really OCD on this). I, for one, have this old i7-3770K (heatsink+FAN) still in use as in my general use PC using Corsair AX760 PSU. I'm sure it could be a lot better with unregulated LPS + Taiko ATX but even with JCAT USB XE (+Farad3 LPS) and Singxer SU-1 USB Bridge /w SOtM clock board (+ Farad3), I find the sound quite fantastic already.

I have not yet tried the much recommended new stuff though so no reference there how good is "my good" in an absolute scale.

I would say powering the USB card with external psu is an essential upgrade, would it be USB Femto, USB XE or even something else. I upgraded from USB Femto to USB XE and can highly recommend both cards lps powered. Obviously the XE is better. I have tried only LPS-1.2 and Farad3 and can recommend any of those.

I can't recall if there was comparison of Taiko ATX powered vs external lps on USB cards so I don't know on that matter.

1 hour ago, Savolax said:

I would not sweat too much about the CPU/MB (unless you want to go really OCD on this). I, for one, have this old i7-3770K (heatsink+FAN) still in use as in my general use PC using Corsair AX760 PSU.

Agreed.  I had one of those in my original server.  I upgraded (so far, twice) not because of the  sound, per se, but because it was not up to the combined demands high resolution, multichannel and DSP.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

39 minutes ago, Exocer said:

I would prefer not to buy now what someone else bought a long time ago and didn't feel the need to upgrade from. My .02.

Of course and no one is suggesting that anyone do that.  However, it makes the point that one needs to suit the purchase choices to one's actual needs.  If you can define those needs first, making the choices is easier (and my be cheaper).

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 8/17/2021 at 2:09 AM, TimF said:

Getting there after a lot more reading! thanks all for your patience and current answers.... A few questions. I've tried to split these out so they're not too hard to read.

CPU and motherboard

• Looking at CPU's the one I looked at is probably too high power consumption for passive cooling. I see the main ones are 3700X AMD and 9900K Intel. Others are the 10900K and 3950x. I am unclear whether new architecture is worth it due to cooling issues and potential underclocking requirements to run these.
  • Asus Motherboard Intel Z590, ROG Strix Z590-E seems better than the older Z490 due to M2 memory interface with the processor only applicable to newer 10900K chip.
  • Summary: Seems as if the older chips are ok given price versus performance?

USB

• JCAT USB Femto that I own seems like a big downgrade on the newer card and should be changed?

POWER

• HDPLEX 500W ATX external Linear Power Supply that I own is ok but not great - I may start out with this just to try it
  • Taiko ATX and unregulated PSU make sense but who can build the unregulated PSUs (UK?)
  • To power the 5v Network and 5v USB cards seems as if I need another decent external power supply, is this correct or can the Taiko handle this well?
  • If I can't get an unregulated PSU would it be madness to use the HDPLEX to power its DC input then use the two 5v feeds for the network and USB cards???

Thanks, Tim

1. Go Intel CPU if you wish to use upsampling esp using HQPlayer 

2. I had the Hdplex 400 ATX LPSU - older version. It was wimpy! I stuck with ATX PSU's and now use extensive PCIE power filtering.

3. Taiko ATX and unregulated PSU - budget starting at 4000USD and climbing higher with more esoteric wires/capacitors etc. I dont have that kind of budget. 

4. There are LT3045's psu's that can output 5V from 1 to 5 amps from different makers. Powering your SSD's and USB card with outboard LPSU or a rail from super LPSU like Paul Hynes or Sean Jacobs is a more expensive high end way of doing the same thing

5. There are many accounts of Keces P8's powering the Hdplex 800watt DC-DC ATX PSU. But for oversampling more current and power is in my humble opinion better sounding for my musical tastes. 

At the end of the day, it is always the budget constraint that limits how far upgrades can go.

A Taiko top of the line server is just 25000USD or more. NO need to worry about all of the bits and pieces of kit and wires, and OS's etc.

Happy Listening

• 4 months later...