IGNORED

Does a desktop need a break-in/burn-in period?

Dean Shias

Question

7 minutes ago, Dean Shias said:

Does a desktop (used for audio/HT) also need a break-in/burn-in period? For those that use a computer>USB/Network>DAC. Using a newer desktop and it doesnt sound as good as my older desktop. JRiver>Matrix Audio Element H USB Card>Modwright Oppo 205.

A desktop computer? An actual desktop? I’m not sure what you’re asking. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Actual Desktop. Basically my old desktop that I transferred some components over (audiophile USB card, Hard drives, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, etc) to my new desktop. It doesnt sound as good as the old desktop. Wondering if new desktop needs some time to burn in to open up. Just bought this desktop a few days ago.

1 hour ago, Dean Shias said:

Actual Desktop. Basically my old desktop that I transferred some components over (audiophile USB card, Hard drives, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, etc) to my new desktop. It doesnt sound as good as the old desktop. Wondering if new desktop needs some time to burn in to open up. Just bought this desktop a few days ago.

Were your SSD/HDD screwed into the metalwork in the previous one, but only retained by plastic clips in the new one ?

The metal cases of SSD/HDD should be securely connected to the Earth of the PSU via the metalwork, as their 0 volts/earth is internally connected to their metal cases.  This enables a much lower resistance Earth connection back to the PSU, as well as screening them. SSDs especially, can radiate a lot of RF/EMI into more sensitive components, even affecting WiFi and GPS.

See also  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60381-hdd-to-case-bonding-uptick-in-sq/?tab=comments#comment-1084599

14A2-B4.pdf

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

sandyk: actually its the other way around. hard drives previously were in a plastic brackets. So is the new computer, but there seems to be a little metal contact. Again.. its not that the sound is bad.. just didnt expect the other computer to sound that much better.

(Desktop = Windows 10 regular computer)

2 hours ago, Dean Shias said:

sandyk: actually its the other way around. hard drives previously were in a plastic brackets. So is the new computer, but there seems to be a little metal contact. Again.. its not that the sound is bad.. just didnt expect the other computer to sound that much better.

(Desktop = Windows 10 regular computer)

If you have a DMM  try what Gary suggested in the link I provided. For both of us, the noise level appeared to be lower and there was a very worthwhile improvement in the soundstage. (W10/64)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Im wondering if the difference in power supply configurations can make such a difference. Dell Precision T7610 vs PowerSpec B745 Desktop. I just put all the hardware back into my older Dell and its a big difference in sound quality. Numbers are not just numbers.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627304/powerspec-b745-desktop-computer

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/smb/merchandizing/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_T7610_Spec_Sheet.pdf

my desk top has an LG nonsmart 40" tv/monitor a new apple tv 4k and a REALLY burned in st lawrence university desk blotter circa 1965-1969 and IT makes all my streaming music sound better and personifies the adage "no st lawrence student works unless pressured" i am still 1-2 weeks behind in doing EMRs ! BTW it doesn't make MQA sound better-oops didn't mean to make that slip?

Happy Holidays to all and  @TheComputerphile set the tone for this inane  discourse right from the get go.

Spam or not it is quietly funny for this somber Christmas Eve.bobbmd

59 minutes ago, Dean Shias said:

Looks like there's a language barrier here.. I should of specified it better... For those that think that desktop in this post is about an actual desktop table... its not.. desktop means a computer/tower computer/PC/etc. 

Dean

They all knew that. Perhaps it's the Xmas season with too many sips of alcoholic beverages and not enough nibblies ? 😉

Being incarcerated at home due to Covid 19 doesn't help much either. 

1 hour ago, Dean Shias said:

Looks like there's a language barrier here.. I should of specified it better... For those that think that desktop in this post is about an actual desktop table... its not.. desktop means a computer/tower computer/PC/etc. 

Oh.  Not as interesting.🙃

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

23 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

My desktop is solid black walnut, and I feel that after a while of having my computer and external HDDs on it, the sound really opened up and came into focus... I think it just took a while to sync the vibrational energies of the various components.

The problematic contribution to the sound of a lot of desktops is the grain.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

15 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You have to take that into account when placing the items on the desktop, you want to place them perpendicular to the grain of the wood.

Interesting. I would have thought that some components would benefit from going with the flow, i.e. with the wood's grain, but I admit that I have absolutely no experience in this branch of acoustics.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Interesting. I would have thought that some components would benefit from going with the flow, i.e. with the grain, but I admit that I have absolutely no experience in this branch of acoustics.

I admit I am out on a limb as I don't have any logs of my research, it's all anecdotal.

No electron left behind.

22 hours ago, Dean Shias said:

Im wondering if the difference in power supply configurations can make such a difference. Dell Precision T7610 vs PowerSpec B745 Desktop. I just put all the hardware back into my older Dell and its a big difference in sound quality. Numbers are not just numbers.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627304/powerspec-b745-desktop-computer

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/smb/merchandizing/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_T7610_Spec_Sheet.pdf

That means that you can use the old computer as a dedicated music server and gain further quality by shutting down all non-essential processes. Streaming music to a music system is not a difficult or power intensive task but competing demands on disks and processors has been shown to cause sound degradation.