@sandyk and I have differences now again with perception on files, but we do have an agreement on a simple method inside a PC which provides quite an audible uptick in SQ.

There's less noise generated between the hard drives, mobo and the PC's PSU case, the SQ is clearer, lifting the soundstage. The effort is minimal with the result quite a surprise!

The Music Server I use is a standard Supermicro case for audio serving only. There's a JCAT NET Femto wired directly to a Lumin U1. The PC has a standard ATX supply, Noctua Fan, and plenty of other bog standard type features found on typical PCs. The only LPS is fed to the JCAT,. The rest of the voltages are sourced from the ATX. For those that are building their split box Server, ithis method provides for simialr SQ enhancement, I would recommend to use at least a 4mm or 10AWG wire to bond the two cases together. Keeping the chassis at lowest potential difference minimises voltage across the cases and less noise transmission.

While poking about, I noticed a voltage in mVaC across the case of the SDD or 10TB HDD and the case. If this voltage is measured by a multimeter, then it's mains sourced. Look, no doubt if a very high impedance probes are placed on a scope, the most likely culrpit is the PSU but let's see how to 'shunt' this noise away.

The Supermicro case has insulated carriers for the hard drives, so their cases float above the chassis ground at various potentials, so the noise travels from the drive to the PSU with antenna effects making a general mess of things. To this end, I found a spare screw on each drive and made a short loop of braided wire to a single chassis point. I had a 4mm wire to hand and used this to bond the rear of the case and from there to the PSU. The JCAT Femto frame was also bonded.

End result is, the voltage developed across the 0V from the PSU and the cases are now 0.0000V with a Fluke 289. The SQ has a nice lift in reducing the gunge over Ethernet. If you have the JCAT USB card, the results will be similar. If you have a PC fed by a linear supply, the shunting of noise would also yield an improvement. For those PCs that have their mounting screws directly to the case, I would suggest to still wire in the bonding wires as well as using a star type washer which bites into the metal at one point only.

For those with an EtheRegen, I would bond the chassis ground to the ground terminal on the Etheregen. I will buy one of these one day, darn Covid is reducing the amount of available cash.

This post details where the wires went for the curious.

PSU 0V to frame

image.thumb.png.ba792740cf8e7b4880b8b903dce8019b.png

Drive to chassis bonding

image.thumb.png.151e6c3d7c52022090521182e64d74dd.png

Single point ground for the mobo

image.thumb.png.140c8a7b753154879b6a6394847c7257.png

JCAT NET Femto and rear case bonding (stud attached with star washer). The blue wire of the JCAT is to the Lumin U1 25m away, the grey is from a TPLINK 24 way switch via a Baaske filter.

image.thumb.png.39fd5926979c5ffc6d81826a464c4302.png

Measure Drive chassis to frame

image.thumb.png.92456b5848a510b9864d40bc87d1e2f3.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

17 hours ago, One and a half said:

@sandyk and I have differences now again with perception on files, but we do have an agreement on a simple method inside a PC which provides quite an audible uptick in SQ.

There's less noise generated between the hard drives, mobo and the PC's PSU case, the SQ is clearer, lifting the soundstage. The effort is minimal with the result quite a surprise!

It's not only A.C.  I read more than +20mV from one SSD to 0 Volts, and around +40mV for an HDD before improving the Earthing.

My PC used rotating plastic clips to lock them into position, and I also reverted to screwing them in via the existing screw holes in the metalwork.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 28-06-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

It's not only A.C.  I read more than +20mV from one SSD to 0 Volts, and around +40mV for an HDD before improving the Earthing.

My PC used rotating plastic clips to lock them into position, and I also reverted to screwing them in via the existing screw holes in the metalwork.

Of consideration is AC induced hash, but DC , that's an offset built in.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA