IGNORED

TIDAL ditching MQA???

Just now:

IMG_0824.thumb.png.cba1efde1c78d2195f1e88f1a682d73b.png

I verified that the DAC is getting 88KHz and no MQA filter is present.

????

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

This is what a normal MQA stream from TIDAL looks like:

5CD0D8B9-2B16-4C59-9120-8BD1C0062D1E.png

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

The mconnect Player controller app for Chromecast & UPnP/DLNA streamers reports the same.

Screenshot_2020-12-20-23-45-22.thumb.png.b545ecbc25e6c8cc02ad06a26754b380.png

The mconnect Player app has no MQA decoder and doesn't handle the file tracks, so it just instructs the controlled streamer to fetch the tracks directly from TIDAL's online server.

Ironically, you have connect to TIDAL with the MQA Masters quality setting - otherwise you get a downsampled CD-res version of the track on the Hi-Fi quality connection.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

Yes, of course. But my understanding is TIDAL was either redbook or MQA, no true hi res on it.

That album shows up as normal red book here. 

Edit. I was wrong. Same here. Was looking at the single first. 

Also there exist two versions of album on Tidal, and one Qobuz. 

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Also there exist two versions of album on Tidal

Yes, the relevant one is the (supposed) MQA version; the other one is standard CD-res. Unfortunately, only the first track, "Clifford Notes", of the MQA version is 24-bit/88.2kHz true hi-res, with the rest of the tracks being CD-res (no idea if they are MQA-CD tracks, as I don't have a suitable DAC to test):

https://listen.tidal.com/album/131095633

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

10 hours ago, wklie said:

If memory serves me, the last time something like this happened, it was treated as a mistake and taken down by Tidal.

Please enjoy it while you can.

The one true hi-res track can even be enjoyed using TIDAL's own Windows desktop software - so no reason why they can't supply more!

1384126767_TrueTIDALhi-res.thumb.jpg.506701a1b4ee151228ca3fb2749b5903.jpg

-- Jo Cox

18 hours ago, lifewave98 said:

Off topic:  Is that a Mac Mini you have going to your DAC?   If so, did you do any modifications? BTW, great looking setup and space.

It is a mac mini 2012, i7quad, 16GB RAM, 250 SSD main drive (recently refreshed), 4TB FW800 HD. The mini is modified with an Uptone JS-2 linear power supply and an internal MMK board to deliver power and electrically isolate the fan. I currently play Roon over RAAT (ie network) to a dCS Rossini. I am not sure if the linear PS makes any difference in this setup. A while back I used to play over USB to an EMMLabs XDS1-v2 and in that case it mattered.

system pics

12 hours ago, wklie said:

If memory serves me, the last time something like this happened, it was treated as a mistake and taken down by Tidal.

Please enjoy it while you can.

I use both TIDAL and Qobuz. It is likely that this was a mistake. There are many hi res albums on Qobuz that don't have an MQA version on TIDAL, TIDAL would only have the redbook.

system pics

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Yes, the relevant one is the (supposed) MQA version; the other one is standard CD-res. Unfortunately, only the first track, "Clifford Notes", of the MQA version is 24-bit/88.2kHz true hi-res, with the rest of the tracks being CD-res (no idea if they are MQA-CD tracks, as I don't have a suitable DAC to test):

https://listen.tidal.com/album/131095633

You are right... On TIDAL, I only see the first track as 24/88, the rest is 16/44. On Qobuz all tracks are 24/88.

system pics

2 hours ago, Cebolla said:

The one true hi-res track can even be enjoyed using TIDAL's own Windows desktop software - so no reason why they can't supply more!

I imagine their agreement with MQA includes not streaming albums in hi res.

system pics

Not sure how tidal is ditching MQA when in Nov 2020 they announced this "https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2020/11/12/millions-of-mqa-tracks-coming-to-tidal-masters-from-warner-music/?sh=a9dcaef23c25

A some way out there quote " “Not only can members hear music exactly as their favourite artists recorded it, but with recent platform enhancements, the experience is as seamless as ever." 

Not sure how that can be . Elvis and the Beatles or all of my fav artist DID NOT RECORD their music in MQA.

The Truth Is Out There

MQA is full of bull. This is known. 

system pics

Thanks for the album suggestion. I like it. Qobuz has it as 88.2/24 no MQA required (nor wanted).

I just added this album to my favorites.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 5.20.18 PM.png

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3