IGNORED

Article: Review | DenaFrips Pontus DAC

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

We all hear differently. I have not heard this DAC but have heard the Terminator against an Yggy 2 in the same system and with PCM only obviously.  The Yggy sounded better. Of course, YMMV.

I’ll rake your word for it that you find the Yiggy better. To me, the Yiggy is lacking in detail, has muddy low frequencies, strident in the highs, and have a rough, somewhat foggy sounding midrange (by comparison, of course). Maybe that kind of presentation is what constitutes real music to you. If so, more power to you!

George

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

Thanks for the great review.  I bought my now upgraded Yggy soon after Chris's rave 5(?) years ago.  Maybe it's time for an upgrade?

One dilemma as I visit the website--there are no US dealers, and there are no returns allowed on direct purchases.  Is that correct?  Hard to imagine others dropping even larger dollars on Denafrips under those conditions.  Please advise

That’s a Q for Alvin Chee. I’m not qualified to address that subject.

George

18 hours ago, JHG said:

Nice review George!  Would you tell us what input on the Pontus you were using as well as the source?

Thanks,

Jim

I have a number of digital sources, so it would be easier for me to tell you the sources that I don’t use (i2S)!

My Mac Pro running Audirvana uses USB (AudioQuest Diamond for those interested in that sort of thing), my Oppo 205 is connected via coax SPDIF, my Logitech Squeezebox Touch (used only for Internet radio) is connected via Toslink, and my Otari studio DAT recorder/player via AES balanced XLR.

George

On 12/10/2020 at 9:17 PM, matthias said:

@gmgraves

Please, can you disclose if you listened to the Pontus in Oversampling or Non-Oversampling mode.

In the case you listened in OS mode which filter did you use?

Thank you

Matt

I listened to both OS and NOS. The two modes sound different, and I prefer the OS mode.
The Pontus has no control (that I know of and the manual certainly doesn’t mention it) allowing the listener to change the filters. Perhaps this is a feature of higher-priced DACs such as the Venus or the Terminator/Terminator Plus. Never having used any of these, I wouldn’t know.

George

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

@gmgraves Can you confirm that your Pontus has the STM32F446 MCU USB interface for review completeness?

Yes.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, bbosler said:

It would be very useful if you could share these recordings or let us know how to obtain them. This specific example is something we could listen for with our equipment and have something to compare your experiences too. Without the recording it is much less useful.

that said, I appreciate your passion and your willingness to hang it all out there , 

1 hour ago, Boleary3 said:

Pontus price is now $2,300. Guess this review caused a $700 price increase......

Yes it is $2300 in SINGAPORE dollars. Scroll further down the page and you’ll see that it’s $1670 U.S. dollars.

George

7 minutes ago, Rexp said:

So you didn't want to tell the truth - noted. 

Don’t you think that this comment is a bit unfair? There are realities to the business of equipment journalism that have nothing to do with the performance of the equipment! I suspect that the decision to publish his Pontus review at the expense of other (lesser) contenders probably has more to do with editorial space than it has to do with any cynical dishonesty.

George