IGNORED

Active Desktop speakers pick

Such a hard category to work through. 

I have 4 amazing full range listening setups in the house ranging from Salk audio to DIYSG Fusions to Magnepan 3.7s. Yes I am spoilt in that sense. So when it comes to picking a replacement for my desktop rig, I am at a loss. 

Requirements:

1.  Active. I dont want another whole setup under the desk. 

2. Monitors. 

3. Size, cant be too big. Cant put a Kii3 here. 

4. High quality and not an eyesore. 

Here's my options as far as I can tell:

1. AE-1 - well received and good size and price (1K). 

2. Dynaudio active bookshelves. However they seem to focus on wireless/BT/streaming none of which I need. I have a nice RME dac on the desktop feeding them. 

3. ATC pro 20 ASL - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. (5K)

4. Custom made by someone like Rick Craig of Selah audio or like. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

You may want to look at these from the AE1 designer Phil Jones;
The new Airpulse A300 pro, dual active speaker, either driven wireless or hardwired with balanced input from your RME into each speaker. Although they aren't quite desktop ... ymmv
They are 1$ short of 2k. I have some doubts they are twice as good as the AE1s ..., ;-) .. however .. diminishing returns.
Well ... and then there are Genelecs ....

Cheers, Tom

Updated list of options:

2. Dynaudio active bookshelves. However they seem to focus on wireless/BT/streaming none of which I need. I have a nice RME dac on the desktop feeding them. 

3. ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Mk2 - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. Also dont go very low(5K).

5. Airpulse series - good look, not sure about amp setup/design. Sub out is a huge plus.

6. Focal shape shape 65 vs shape 50 - good proven monitors. Can dig deep. ($1500 to 1800)

7. Focal Solo 6be - good reviews, well received Be tweeter. (2700)

Please feel free to chime in thoughts/ideas.  

KEF LS50 Wireless II. Slightly smaller than ATC.

Yes it does all those wireless streaming and digital stuff. But that's where the magic is. DSP to for time alignment, bass mgmt, etc etc etc.

I don't like LS50 (non wireless)'s sound, but LS50 Wireless v1 won me over. I would likely leave the RME gathering dust and buy the LS50W v2. Based on listening to other speakers that absorbs backward successfully,  LS50W II's meta-material is likely to contribute significant sound improvements.

If not, you won't go wrong with the ATC. Definitely a good choice here.

2 hours ago, Joerg D said:

Hallo Duck

The C Box 3 was my first abacus. In Ferrari red on my desk. Then came the 5 X. The best belongs earlier. Since the Gauder Vescova had to be influenced.

Joerg

B6FDCC5C-DFB9-4E58-89D0-682287839984.jpeg

Jörg,
thanks for the picture. Tthe b&w ensemble looks simply splendid! ;-)

In Ferrari red it might have been tempting for a moment, although too much on the long run, imho.
The GAUDER may have a tid bit more WAF ...
Best, Tom

Thanks for so many new suggestions guys!

It has been a pleasant surprise that my options are not limited.

3. ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Mk2 - good stuff but hard to find and studio grade finish. Also dont go very low(5K).

5. Airpulse series - good look, not sure about amp setup/design. Sub out is a huge plus.

6. Focal shape shape 65 vs shape 50 - good proven monitors. Can dig deep. ($1500 to 1800)

8. KEF LS50 W - like the look/design and size. Dont like all tech packed in that box. Makes me wonder what part of the money actually is dedicated to the drivers and crossover. 

9. ELAC navis ARB-51: like the look, simplicity. Dont like the boxed look. 

10. Buckardt A500 - what a find: very tempted. Love the aesthetic/design/low end. Dont like price/wait or lack of track record. 

Currently debating between the ELAC and KEF and wondering if I should purchase both and audition them side by side and return the on I dont like? Anyone here have experience with both?

18 minutes ago, nocrapman said:

Thanks for so many new suggestions guys!

It has been a pleasant surprise that my options are not limited.

8. KEF LS50 W - like the look/design and size. Dont like all tech packed in that box. Makes me wonder what part of the money actually is dedicated to the drivers and crossover. 

9. ELAC navis ARB-51: like the look, simplicity. Dont like the boxed look. 

10. Buckardt A500 - what a find: very tempted. Love the aesthetic/design/low end. Dont like price/wait or lack of track record. 

Currently debating between the ELAC and KEF and wondering if I should purchase both and audition them side by side and return the on I dont like? Anyone here have experience with both?

@nocrapman
Did you actually start the post to enhance your list or to narrow it down to a focus ??? ;-)))

Obviously if you have enough money to spend you have a lot of choices ... do you have a strategy how to find out what suits you best and do you have a time limit for the purchase ?

About the ELAC/KEF debate, afaik the ELAC aren't a complete solution like the KEF, which imho is quite a distinguishing factor.

As far as I am familiar with the ELAC Discovery series, I tend to advise you for checking out which non-ELAC hardware does have a good fit with the NAVIS. IIRC you have a RME DAC, which may do perfectly. Only caveat I'd see is the amplifier selection for the actives, the BASH amplififcation I have heard with the ELAC Discovery series wasn't convincing. YMMV.

Now that I have heard the A80 (which replaced the A100 on my desk) for almost two weeks, I need to admit that In haven't had a 2nd thought  to pass the A100 to my son who has fallen in love with their soft&smooth white laqceur finish (and their performance together with one of my subs when having his 17th birthday party end of August!).

While typing I am  listening to the lastest One Mic album from Carmen Gomes Inc. (it's DXD downsampled to the 96/24 of the USB entry of the Airpulse) chez Sound Liaison which is dedicated to Blues heritage and I am very pleased listening to the acoustic bass presented by that little speaker.  These hornloaded AMT drivers are kidnapping me in the nearfield.
Last April Airpulse were stimulating sales with rebates up to 40% for the A100, if you looking for bargaining it may be worth a wait.

Is there a reason why Genelec did not find an entrance to your list ?

Have a nice weekend, Tom

Thanks for your guidance and thoughts Tom. 

I started the post to generate a list of contenders to look/research/audition.

The Genelac might be a great option if I could get over their looks. I find them fugly to put it simply. I would be staring at them all day on my desk.

You would agree of all people that the aesthetic can enhance one's listening pleasure. 

6 hours ago, nocrapman said:

How do you mean? it doesnt have a sub out? 

And what do you mean by sub DSP crossover?

Doesn't have sub out. But since you can only feed it analogue signal anyway, so you need a DAC, you could have a 4-channel DAC (like Focusrite 4i4) and digital room EQ software to do the DSP crossover. MTM's and sub using up 3 channels on the DAC.

Example: Send <80 Hz to the sub under the desk and everything 80 Hz and above to the MTM's.

I've just started using Audiolense and amazed at results with 3-way DSP crossover including crossing over to pair of subs (not desktop setup). I followed @mitchco's great Audiolense articles here on the forum.